Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 4, 2021 at 7:04 PM Post #72,736 of 150,590
@judson_w ok, I will try switching out the Pi2AES for a standard Ropieee and switching out the power supply, and if that didn’t have any result I’ll try my computer as a source via Unison.
Thanks.

@ImagesbyMurray yes same hiss in both channels

@tincanear you know, I did not disconnect the BNC when I tried Unison, so I will do that.

thank you everyone! Love this crew.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2021 at 7:17 PM Post #72,737 of 150,590
Hmm. About Square buying Tidal, I am not sure how I’d feel knowing some of my subscription money would be going to Jack Dorsey. I am more glad before when it went to JayZ and Beyonce.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2021 at 8:04 PM Post #72,738 of 150,590
Best seems to be 40 kg/m3 mineral wool. Higher can be and is good for absorbing the bass but be careful it doesn’t get reflective with the highs. All depends on the application. You can hardly use too much!
For bass, that is most certainly true.
When I started down this rabbit hole I was continuously amazed at the impact (figuratively & literally) cleaning up the bass engendered.
Fat bass is kind of fun, in a jazzy kind of way. Tight bass sounds more live, gives more detail, and is much more percussive.

In the previous man cave, I ended up with rock wool above the ceiling tiles, behind the drywall and everywhere else I could put it. The basement went from being both too cold physically and too warm acoustically to being too warm physically (all those heating pipes) and just right acoustically.

Mar 4, 2021 at 8:34 PM Post #72,739 of 150,590
Easily doable. It may not be the type of 'blind' test you are thinking about, but people have actually gone blind after eating NC BBQ. :smirk:
Some people call it "blind", some people call it "ecstasy".

Eastern NC is well known for it's excellent pit cooked whole hog BBQ. We're also known for our churches. I had a buddy, an anesthesiologist relocated from New Jersey, who remarked on arriving for his new job at the local hospital, "200,000 people in the county, 10,000 churches, that's all you need to know".

I have a theory. The Garden of Eden was located in what is now Eastern NC. Eastern NC BBQ, good whole hog pig, slowly roasted over a hardwood fire, was freely eaten, and enjoyed by Adam & Eve.

It wasn't an apple, but sinful, red, dry, "Texas smoked brisket" that was the real downfall of A&E. After all, how many people have commented on West Texas as being "Hell"?

Mar 4, 2021 at 8:45 PM Post #72,740 of 150,590
Hmm. About Square buying Tidal, I am not sure how I’d feel knowing some of my subscription money would be going to Jack Dorsey. I am more glad before when it went to JayZ and Beyonce.
Tidal will burn through your subscription money. It will not reach Jack Dorsey.

Billboard reports that as of 2020, Tidal was still behind on payments to rights holders, a problem Square’s cash injection might solve. The company’s revenue reportedly grew 13 percent to $166.9 million in 2019 according to financial documents filed in the UK by parent company Project Panther Bidco, but losses also rose from $36 million to $55.19 million in that same period. (link)​

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2021 at 8:49 PM Post #72,741 of 150,590

Eastern NC is well known for it's excellent pit cooked whole hog BBQ. We're also known for our churches. I had a buddy, an anesthesiologist relocated from New Jersey, who remarked on arriving for his new job at the local hospital, "200,000 people in the county, 10,000 churches, that's all you need to know".

I have a theory. The Garden of Eden was located in what is now Eastern NC. Eastern NC BBQ, good whole hog pig, slowly roasted over a hardwood fire, was freely eaten, and enjoyed by Adam & Eve.

It wasn't an apple, but sinful, red, dry, "Texas smoked brisket" that was the real downfall of A&E. After all, how many people have commented on West Texas as being "Hell"?
Everyone knows Hell is in Michigan and it freezes annually.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/H...1:0xd45079770956618a!8m2!3d42.43472!4d-83.985

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hell,_Michigan

Mar 4, 2021 at 8:59 PM Post #72,743 of 150,590

Funny. And true. :smile: The company I used to work for was headquartered in Wisconsin, and the long standing joke was:

In NC, some people got together and built a church. A town grew up around it. Soon another church was added, and the town grew some more. Another church, and soon there were cities.

In WI, some people got together and built a bar...

Mar 4, 2021 at 9:57 PM Post #72,744 of 150,590
Tidal will burn through your subscription money. It will not reach Jack Dorsey.

Billboard reports that as of 2020, Tidal was still behind on payments to rights holders, a problem Square’s cash injection might solve. The company’s revenue reportedly grew 13 percent to $166.9 million in 2019 according to financial documents filed in the UK by parent company Project Panther Bidco, but losses also rose from $36 million to $55.19 million in that same period. (link)​
Still, knowing that my “contribution” will lessen the deficit when its in Jack Dorsey’s hands is something I am not too keen on.
Oh well time to move to CDs! Hope Schiit Yrd will come out soon.

Mar 4, 2021 at 9:59 PM Post #72,745 of 150,590
Many professional people are questioning the wisdom of paying exorbitant prices for city property, when some can do their jobs entirely remotely, away from city offices.
As someone who manages a large distributed technical team, I can tell you that this is fiction. We have been successful in continuing current projects well (very well, actually) under COVID-19 restrictions, but starting new projects, let alone reorganizing teams for new challenges, is a much harder slog. There's nothing like informal conversation around food and (moderate) drink to get ideas flowing, which is why I used to travel frequently to our North America and Europe sites. I don't miss the jetlag, but I really miss the spontaneous creativity.

Mar 4, 2021 at 10:05 PM Post #72,746 of 150,590
Thanks but I am asking how will using the Eitr like be against a computer's TOSLINK
computer USB + Eitr + toslink cable to DAC vs computer Toslink to DAC will vary depending on how good the Toslink transmitter is on that particular computer, as well as the motherboard drivers / bios etc. best to try it out with your individual computer & Eitr.

Mar 4, 2021 at 10:12 PM Post #72,747 of 150,590
For those that dislike Tidal because of Jay-Z, he’s selling it to Square’s Jack Dorsey.
It's kind of obvious, isn't it? Square is on the catbird seat with respect to instant payments for smaller businesses. Which means they can connect all of the live, streaming, and physical goods payments around music. While the big lumbering incumbents like Ticketmaster have taken a beating with the COVID-19 suspension of live music events, Square has been doing well and once people start again going out, they will be in a great position to cash on the new roaring 20s and send Ticketmaster and their ilk the way of Blockbuster Video.

Mar 4, 2021 at 10:17 PM Post #72,748 of 150,590
Brought home something familiar to keep breaking-in the KEFs. Brings back memories!

Steve Miller Band CD SRGordon 1500-3902.jpg
Steve Miller Band CD SRGordon 1500-3902.jpg

Mar 4, 2021 at 10:24 PM Post #72,749 of 150,590
@judson_w ok, I will try switching out the Pi2AES for a standard Ropieee and switching out the power supply, and if that didn’t have any result I’ll try my computer as a source via Unison.
Thanks.

@ImagesbyMurray yes same hiss in both channels

@tincanear you know, I did not disconnect the BNC when I tried Unison, so I will do that.

thank you everyone! Love this crew.
Progress I suppose...

tried non-hat Ropieee -> Gumby -> Jot -> meze 99 (balanced all the way through) and no sign of hiss/scratchiness. Miss tubes and pure power, but smooth all the way through high volumes at both low/high gain. So perhaps @tincanear is right and the BNC was creating a ground loop, even when the signal was passing via Unison. And could be the Pi2AES power supply mebbe. More sleuthing to do tomorrow, everyone is asleep now so no more carrying Gumby up and down stairs :)

thanks for the advice!

Mar 4, 2021 at 10:48 PM Post #72,750 of 150,590
Texas smoked brisket is never red, never dry. We know how to cook better than that.

Funny. And true. :smile: The company I used to work for was headquartered in Wisconsin, and the long standing joke was:

In NC, some people got together and built a church. A town grew up around it. Soon another church was added, and the town grew some more. Another church, and soon there were cities.

In WI, some people got together and built a bar...
I thought the WI version of the "chicken or the egg" question was "brewery or cheesery"...

As someone who manages a large distributed technical team, I can tell you that this is fiction. We have been successful in continuing current projects well (very well, actually) under COVID-19 restrictions, but starting new projects, let alone reorganizing teams for new challenges, is a much harder slog. There's nothing like informal conversation around food and (moderate) drink to get ideas flowing, which is why I used to travel frequently to our North America and Europe sites. I don't miss the jetlag, but I really miss the spontaneous creativity.
Perhaps not with collaborative teams, but what about the millions around the country who slog into the office daily to sit in a cubicle and enter data, write reports, proofread, or any other nearly solitary activity? I can see accounting firms, medical billing, insurance claims and preapprovals, various customer support (heck, tech support is already farmed out overseas) and perhaps lots of other jobs becoming "remote".

It's kind of obvious, isn't it? Square is on the catbird seat with respect to instant payments for smaller businesses. Which means they can connect all of the live, streaming, and physical goods payments around music. While the big lumbering incumbents like Ticketmaster have taken a beating with the COVID-19 suspension of live music events, Square has been doing well and once people start again going out, they will be in a great position to cash on the new roaring 20s and send Ticketmaster and their ilk the way of Blockbuster Video.
The only rational complaint I have against Ticketmaster is their defacto monopoly, which has allowed them to charge ridiculous fees. It's gotten to the point where I'd rather camp out over night on the sidewalk in front of the box office than pay Ticketmaster's "convenience fees", which seem to double the ticket price. Of course, box offices don't sell tickets anymore.

I won't be sad if somebody comes in and drives those pirates out of business. Or if the SEC (or whoever) finally got their act together and broke them up in an anti-trust action.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back