Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 22, 2021 at 4:03 PM Post #72,136 of 150,898
I know it's not going to happen, but it would be nice if Roon could integrate Spotify.

Why not? Spotify is the most popular streaming service there is. The moment it offers lossless streaming, wouldn’t it make sense for both Roon and Audirvana to integrate it? A lot more people could develop an interest in those players then.

Feb 22, 2021 at 4:07 PM Post #72,137 of 150,898
Why not? Spotify is the most popular streaming service there is. The moment it offers lossless streaming, wouldn’t it make sense for both Roon and Audirvana to integrate it? A lot more people could develop an interest in those players then.
I could be wrong but my understand is it isn't to do with Roon not wanting to integrate but Spotify not wanting to share it's tech.

Feb 22, 2021 at 4:30 PM Post #72,138 of 150,898
FM modulator still better than the on-board cassette players. lotta theft of aftermarket car stereo head units back then. remember the removable faceplates to deter theft?
The removeable faceplate was a welcome addition compared to the "Pull Out" head units that came before them... Having dealt with having my stereo systems stolen on multiple occasions I was glad to only have to remove the faceplate and not the entire head unit...

Feb 22, 2021 at 4:48 PM Post #72,139 of 150,898
I could be wrong but my understand is it isn't to do with Roon not wanting to integrate but Spotify not wanting to share it's tech.
According to Roon, this is correct.

Feb 22, 2021 at 4:54 PM Post #72,140 of 150,898
Well, that is disappointing news, indeed. I consider it more Spotify's loss than Roon's.

Feb 22, 2021 at 4:56 PM Post #72,141 of 150,898
I had one of those removable faceplates. Still had my stereo stolen out of my car. After insurance replaced it I had two face plates. One to use and one to remind me how stupid some people could be. I mean it was obvious the stereo had no controls, what were they going to do with it? Even the police officer who took the report chuckled.

Feb 22, 2021 at 5:01 PM Post #72,142 of 150,898
try feeding the DAP 3.5mm out into your home HP amp / full-size cans via the HP amp's analog inputs (3.5mm to RCA adapter cable).
Did that for a few years, didn't like it. Bought a Bifrost. Not looking back. :) I didn't really intend that post to be a definitive comparison of two systems with a single variable between them. Just a quick note about how two capable systems can render the same song quite differently.

Feb 22, 2021 at 5:11 PM Post #72,143 of 150,898
I had one of those removable faceplates. Still had my stereo stolen out of my car. After insurance replaced it I had two face plates. One to use and one to remind me how stupid some people could be. I mean it was obvious the stereo had no controls, what were they going to do with it? Even the police officer who took the report chuckled.
I used to be an Alpine dealer and we did significant business selling replacement faceplates...

Feb 22, 2021 at 5:18 PM Post #72,144 of 150,898
I installed more than a few systems that used the factory speakers for the mids/highs and added 2 - 4 subs... Ohhh and you can't forget the FM modulator CD changers! This was in the 90's when factory stereo's were mostly garbage... Today it's surprising how well factory stereo's sound in comparison.
I don't think that's true for every car maker. The factory stereo in my latest car was utter rubbish. For a couple of days I had to drive with my install half finished. I'd made some mistakes in the wiring so my woofer signal was going to my mids/ tweeters and vice-versa. It still sounded better than factory original. The areas where the factory stereo failed the worst are the areas currently being discussed here: no dynamic range, no articulation, one-note bass response, and rolled-off treble. In short, reproduction had zero life. It sounded like the PA in your elementary school.

Since the PA in @bcowen's school was his principal addressing the one-room student body in person, his school's PA sounded better than my car's factory stereo.

Feb 22, 2021 at 5:21 PM Post #72,145 of 150,898
FM modulator still better than the on-board cassette players. lotta theft of aftermarket car stereo head units back then. remember the removable faceplates to deter theft?
OK, how about, after portable CD players were introduced, the "cassette" which connected to the head phone out of your portable CD player so you could use it in your car? I had one...

Feb 22, 2021 at 5:33 PM Post #72,147 of 150,898
OK, how about, after portable CD players were introduced, the "cassette" which connected to the head phone out of your portable CD player so you could use it in your car? I had one...
LOL! Yes! I went from the CD player attached to it and then my iPod. Typically the wire would always go bad and you'd have to fold it, just right, under something to maintain a signal.

Oh the days of Lo-Fi...

Feb 22, 2021 at 6:53 PM Post #72,150 of 150,898
LOL! Yes! I went from the CD player attached to it and then my iPod. Typically the wire would always go bad and you'd have to fold it, just right, under something to maintain a signal.

Oh the days of Lo-Fi...

That's still better than the pencil that I'd have to jam in beside an 8-Track to get it to play...! :rage:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back