Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 20, 2021 at 3:51 PM Post #72,061 of 155,263
Don't get me started on Cheerwine!! It is the Elixir of Life and Nectar of the gods!!!

Feb 20, 2021 at 4:08 PM Post #72,062 of 155,263
I nearly went into a diabetic coma just reading that :scream:
Funny you put it that way, its how we found out (the hard way) that my Dad had become Type 2.
So, all this time, and you're finally admitting that you secretly like vinegar based BBQ? For shame. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
But vinegar BBQ (on occasion in certain circumstances) is good. Just about any BBQ has a time an place - except slopping wet pulled pork. Pulled pork is fine, wet enough that it has fish swimming in it not so much and that is regardless of mustard, vinegar, or ketchup sauces.
So really you are from Massachusetts?
Yes, khakis and car keys sound the same (occasionally, spent way to much time in the south growing up) but I don't like Hahvahd.

Feb 20, 2021 at 5:50 PM Post #72,064 of 155,263
Funny you put it that way, its how we found out (the hard way) that my Dad had become Type 2.

But vinegar BBQ (on occasion in certain circumstances) is good. Just about any BBQ has a time an place - except slopping wet pulled pork. Pulled pork is fine, wet enough that it has fish swimming in it not so much and that is regardless of mustard, vinegar, or ketchup sauces.
Pulled pork should always be served with sauce(s) on the side. That way people get what ever kind of sauce they like and the proper amount.

Feb 20, 2021 at 7:53 PM Post #72,067 of 155,263
Jus’ don’t put the liquid smoke on my Schiit.

Feb 20, 2021 at 8:31 PM Post #72,069 of 155,263
I did get some head phone time this afternoon. The perfect balm after battling with a poor manager at work all day. I kept the volume pretty low, which required me to listen carefully if I wanted to hear the details. My Bifrost and Mjolnir didn't disappoint. Even at low, nap time, level, detail was there, bass weight was at least not disappointing, and tonal balance was full, even and utterly satisfying. The last few songs, before the battery in my DAP expired, were real treats:

"In This Place", Robin Trower, Bridge of Sighs: I just love Trower's tone throughout this album. I also enjoy his musicality, which he can achieve without the "athleticism" over-used by some guitarists. The right notes and the right time.

"It Had to Be You", Ray Charles, The Ultimate Collection: this was kind of jarring after "In This Place": bright and brash and loud. I like young Ray Charles' voice, though, and his rhythm and meter when he sings.

"It's All Over Now", Molly Hatchet, Flirtin' With Disaster: Lynard Skynard style southern rock with grittier guitar and twangier vocals. Fun stuff. In moderation.

"It's For You", Pat Metheny and Lyle Mays, As Falls Wichita, So Falls Wichita Falls: not only my favorite Pat Metheny piece, definitely one of my favorite songs ever recorded. I've had this disc for more than thirty years and I still get shivers in my spine whenever I hear this song. Simply wonderful phrasing by Pat. My favorite Pat Metheny/ Pat Metheny Group period is 1979- 1985 or so. I love his work with his synclavier-guitar (not that he used one on this album). Great accompaniment from Lyle Mays (RIP) and Nana Vasconcelos. Lots of micro detail in the ECM recording. If my battery hadn't given out, I'd have listened to this song again at higher volume to take it all in. This is one of my audition songs when I'm judging new gear. Everyone has songs their gear simply must "get right", this is one of mine. It's also the soundtrack to a great scene in one of my favorite movies: Fandango.

"It's Your Dog, Charlie Brown", Vince Guaraldi, Oh, Good Grief!: Guarldi's bright, thin piano was another jarring contrast to the rich, lush Metheny recording. But, as I posted last week, this is a long-time favorite album. Takes me back to the Peanuts specials when I was growing up, and listening to music with my mom.

"Jessica", Allman Brothers, Brothers and Sisters: Could you imagine being Duane Allman's daughter and knowing this joyful song was composed because you were born? Wow. This recording, even the Mobile Fidelity remastering, isn't that great, but what a wonderful riff. Makes me happy just listening to it in the same way Holst's Jupiter does. I just wish the percussion didn't sound so sloppy (the recording, not the playing).

And now my DAP's battery is 100% again, it's my turn to take part in a newly restored Texas indulgence, a shower, and then I can have a dram (or two) and enjoy whatever music comes up next. Perhaps with the volume turned up a bit now.
I love to read posts like this. No, we don't have identical musical tastes, close, but not exact. What I love is the passion. After many years, you (we) still love music. Talking about it, listening to it, living it.

Feb 20, 2021 at 8:40 PM Post #72,070 of 155,263
IMHO, all the gear is a means to an end. Music is the real passion we all share. Well, that and BBQ, etc. 😄

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2021 at 8:43 PM Post #72,071 of 155,263
Went to order on Amazon, $902.25.
Listening to it now. Amazon HD music (streaming). I think I pay about $13.00 a month. Fantastic service, sounds great.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2021 at 9:56 PM Post #72,073 of 155,263
While I’ve been enjoying spinning cds lately I sometimes miss a long playlist. This sounds better than it has any right to.

Attachments

• B779B9D4-2CD4-4ECF-9ABB-1CCA5DD0ACFC.jpeg
    B779B9D4-2CD4-4ECF-9ABB-1CCA5DD0ACFC.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Feb 20, 2021 at 10:35 PM Post #72,074 of 155,263
Just gotta jump in and say...

Roon Radio ROCKS!

With my Qobuz and Tidal subs, Roon Radio has turned me on to so much awesome new music and artists! 😍

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2021 at 11:10 PM Post #72,075 of 155,263
Just gotta jump in and say...

Roon Radio ROCKS!

With my Qobuz and Tidal subs, Roon Radio has turned me on to so much awesome new music and artists! 😍
Yep. That's what pushed me to buy the lifetime license. Go for it. Your wife won't mind. (mine did but don't let that worry you)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back