Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 15, 2021 at 8:10 PM Post #71,806 of 151,047
Wasn't that bad. Snow and ice were dry so I had traction. As you can see, I had the freeway to myself- I was literally the only car on an 8-lane freeway for most of my drive. No dodging morons.
That is why I am debating driving in tomorrow or not, if there is ice I am planning WFH because I live on the other side of the river from work and locals drive like idiots when it is dry out, I can't imagine it in the ice (and snow tires don't exist here).

Feb 15, 2021 at 8:11 PM Post #71,807 of 151,047
Feb 15, 2021 at 8:16 PM Post #71,808 of 151,047
That is why I am debating driving in tomorrow or not, if there is ice I am planning WFH because I live on the other side of the river from work and locals drive like idiots when it is dry out, I can't imagine it in the ice (and snow tires don't exist here).
Since it thawed today and will refreeze tonight, I may stay home as well. Wet ice is no fun at all. Can't be productive from home, especially if our internet is still out, but...

My in-laws are from IA and got a kick out of my stories of TX drivers in snow today.

Feb 15, 2021 at 8:19 PM Post #71,809 of 151,047
Since it thawed today and will refreeze tonight, I may stay home as well. Wet ice is no fun at all. Can't be productive from home, especially if our internet is still out, but...

My in-laws are from IA and got a kick out of my stories of TX drivers in snow today.
Thankfully it is a whole bunch of teleconferences tomorrow (loving the Hel at work @Jason Stoddard, never had an issue with mic quality or volume unlike coworkers esp. when crossing language barriers) and Excel work so productivity shouldn't change. Rest of the week regardless of weather I have to go in, but that is supposed to be normal weather for the area.

Feb 15, 2021 at 9:14 PM Post #71,810 of 151,047
I did Ullapool to Edinburgh on a Suzuki GT500A in blowing sticky slush. With a passenger.
Would be bad enough in a car :/ But maybe the roads are a bit wider and straighter since our 5 years in Scotland several decades ago...

Feb 15, 2021 at 9:19 PM Post #71,811 of 151,047
For everyone at home hiding from the weather...Hopefully your bar is stocked....

Make a Delby tonight!

fill a large glass (20-24oz) with ice.

2 oz Captain Morgan (3 oz if you want to taste it)
1/2 oz Malibu
1/2 oz Vodka
3 ozs oj
1 oz pineapple juice
2 oz lemon lime soda or ginger ale or Perrier
1 tsp grenadine
1/2 tsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp lime juice

stir, sip with straw, get ready to feel a whole body relaxation.

Reggae/00s Yacht Country/Whatever Jimmy Buffet and Jack Johnson are, are primo music choices. Also Yacht Rock, and Herb Alpert.

Shoutout to my buddy @Ripper2860 for mentioning Buena Vista Social Club if you want some amazing latin america tuneage.

Sounding good with Ragnarok/Bifrost 2/LRSs.

Welcome to the winter "paradise" I enjoy from Oct to April. Music and Booze help alot. (Also helps immensley to have someone to keep you warm between the sheets) 😁

My wife says the drink tastes like no responsibilities....

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2021 at 9:23 PM Post #71,812 of 151,047
This is the coolest thing I've listened to since the last time I posted "... this is the coolest thing I've listened to":

Ascenseur cover.jpg

The booklet for this edition is good, too.
Apparently the movie is quite good (one of the transition movies between noir and nouvelle vague) but I never managed to catch it. I've owned several versions or the recordings that got somehow lost along the way, I currently have a digital edition with 26 tracks (curiously the Qobuz version has 27 tracks). Which version did you get?

Feb 15, 2021 at 9:40 PM Post #71,813 of 151,047
[edit] Besides, if you and Lisa ski you must have driven in worse on the way to Tahoe...
I doubt they would drive from SoCal to Tahoe to ski, more likely to Mammoth. But yes, the driving over the Sierra can be quite harrowing, I have plenty of stories, including when I was putting chains on a rental back in the 90s (long story) and it got rear-ended by an out-of-control SUV, which I avoided closely by jumping back into the ditch.

Feb 15, 2021 at 9:43 PM Post #71,814 of 151,047
Donner pass to sugar bowl... every time it poured in the Bay Area, drove up and it was guaranteed dumping. Only once have I spun a 720 on 80 going over the top... and only once 360. Listening to hip-hop at top volume. Now I ski with two edges instead of boarding, and I climb up with AT gear nearly as much as I take the lifts. But I miss those days...

Feb 15, 2021 at 10:20 PM Post #71,817 of 151,047
Hell, our roads don't look that good plowed during a storm. Seriously, that's 70+MPH travel conditions in New England. And the highway is only 2 lanes each way.
Ohio's road were white... they had zero issues using the salt from the mines under the Great Lakes. Michigan was more a ride, die, and live again (regardless of time of year).

Feb 15, 2021 at 10:24 PM Post #71,818 of 151,047
Seems like Roon-o-Rama is calming down a bit... there are some DEEPLY disappointed/angry folks still, and I think it’s really interesting... it’s the ’war’ between on one hand the:
  • Collectors of FLACS on local storage (who might also have Tidal/Qobuz as a secondary source)
  • Who curate & tag carefully,
  • Collect multiple versions (masters and/or bit depths/sample rates),
  • Like (or at least are acclimated to) highly information dense representations of their libraries
  • Are more likely to use search
I do this but only because I have to. My primary musical joy is symphonic music, some choral etc, and the existing metadata (e.g. GraceNotes) is TERRIBLE.

Composers in the artist field, sometimes, maybe. Performers in the composer field, no understanding of movements as part of the same symphony, no conductors listed, venue would be nice sometimes, crazy "recorded dates" when really it's pressing date or remaster dates, omg, I could go on forever.

If Roon could guarantee that the composer and performer and conductor and ensemble/orchestra was correct, all the movements in the symphony, and I could find things by composition, I would consider it.

Do you know how many recordings of Vivaldi's Winter there are? And all the different artists doing it?

It's worse than all the versions of Auld Lang Syne, for sure.

Feb 15, 2021 at 10:28 PM Post #71,819 of 151,047
All this Texas business is interesting. My parents (who I still live with because I'm a lunatic who intends to come in with a ton of money down on my first place if I don't buy it outright) are seriously considering moving there to retire in a year or two. And me living with them, I might go. Not much of a reason to stay in California. I would say work, or my friends, but COVID has me dealing with both remotely now (well, I'm in the office once a month). They're looking Southeast of Houston near the beach and some family friends. My special request is a pool (always wanted one and it is the first time we're moving in over 25 years). Apparently we should consider a fireplace too though. I figured it got "wear a jacket inside" cold, not "let's all just hibernate them bears is onto something" cold.

Feb 15, 2021 at 10:38 PM Post #71,820 of 151,047
Roon seems to dig deeper into the network stack than most other products we use at home, and that triggers bugs in routers, switches, and endpoints that are not noticeable with less demanding network applications.
My abode has real challenges with networking. Too much early-mid 20th brickwork and plaster. On a good day, with 6-7 access points I might be able to get one bar in every room for wifi and the brick makes it impossible to run wires. The powerline stuff doesn't work always (e.g. the plug on this side of the room (where I need it) does not work, but one on a different wall does?). IP over cable is the best bet so far but no cable jacks in all the right places. Sigh.

Roon does not appear to be in the cards for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back