Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 26, 2020 at 5:27 PM Post #69,001 of 155,080
Is the a correlation between aging ears and the antipathy towards 'hi-res' branding? Due to life experience that it's all a big scam more so I'd guess than inability to hear the 'difference'.

I think I'm like most people who buy hi res assume that the components that go into are higher quality, even if the branding concept is flawed. Higher quality than what? Cheap junk. Basically it's safe to say that if it says hi res, it's not junk.

Probably not junk.
I can convert a 128K MP3 into a 24/196K FLAC file using software on my laptop. Does that make the file any less junky?

Dec 26, 2020 at 5:42 PM Post #69,002 of 155,080
Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, whatever your title or style, I hope you are celebrating.

Jotenheim 2 arrived before Christmas and is now well burned-in. :beyersmile:

I was never a fan of Joty og. It was interesting topology but for my ears not a good listen single ended (se). It went into the closet. By the time Bifrost 2 came out I had balanced headphone cables, and balanced in and out went a long way to redeeming Joty og, though it still was not my favorite.

So does Joty 2 change all that? Yes, for me it is a real advance over Joty og.

My set-up here is usb signal into Bifrost 2 and then
balanced to joty1 balanced out to Sennheiser 650 headphones, cf
se to joty2 se out to (different pair of) Sennheiser 650 headphones.
The se is my most likely use of joty 2 (I thought) and I can do the comparison simply by changing the headphones. I have other headphones, but this is easiest for the comparison

Now, I am a classical nut and I am more interested in the full timbral depth than I am to a sharp, ‘fast’ attack.

At first I listened to some music in passing, without getting analytical, and it was clear the Joty 2 is a different animal. It has a rounder, deeper tone (more timbral depth I call it) that takes me deeper into the music. And then I listened more analytically to my standard set of tracks.

The Joty og was always good on attacks, and the Joty 2 offers no advantage in that regard. Similarly I don’t hear much difference in sound stage, though that is of secondary importance to me. But when it comes to live acoustical music, Joty 2 has the fuller tone that I want. Dame Jane Baker singing Elgar’s Sea Pictures is one of my key tracks. On Joty og on the loud (ff) sections, she comes across as harsh and not very pleasant, especially on the loud passages. With Joty 2 she is not quite there in the room, but she is close and with a voice I want to hear. A Dvorak Piano Trio by the Nash ensemble comes across as very natural, with all the subtle nuances.

For me the Joty 2 is a clear winner, single ended, the Joty og goes back into the closet. Just briefly I listened to Joty 2 balanced. Hmmm, this may be another step up, that was impressive. But that will take more listening.

As always YMMV. We have different ears and listen for different things. This is my 2 cents. (4 cents? where are we with inflation?)
Noah

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2020 at 5:54 PM Post #69,003 of 155,080
I can convert a 128K MP3 into a 24/196K FLAC file using software on my laptop. Does that make the file any less junky?

You can make your own ‘High Res’ files at home @Ableza 🤣
They’ll probably sound just as good as some of the crap which is being peddled as ‘High Resolution’ by record companies.
It could be a nice little business:sunglasses:
This evening I have been listening to a lot of music.
Almost all of it is ‘red book’ 16/44.1 and it sounds fantastic.
Most of the High Res versions of albums I have listened to sound inferior to red book in my opinion.
A couple of albums which did sound good in ‘High Res’ are Bowie’s ‘Let’s Dance’ and Tom Petty’s ‘Wildflowers & All The Rest’.
I still believe that the difference is due to the mix/mastering and not the fact that it is 24/96.
Edit: Just had a listen to my original redbook version of ‘Wildflowers’.
I think it sounds better than the High Res recent release!
‘Wildflowers & All The Rest’ does have some great extra material on it though.
It’s fair to say I am a complete Hi Res sceptic.
Maybe it’s an age thing :sunglasses:

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2020 at 6:43 PM Post #69,004 of 155,080
Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, whatever your title or style, I hope you are celebrating.

Jotenheim 2 arrived before Christmas and is now well burned-in. :beyersmile:

I was never a fan of Joty og. It was interesting topology but for my ears not a good listen single ended (se). It went into the closet. By the time Bifrost 2 came out I had balanced headphone cables, and balanced in and out went a long way to redeeming Joty og, though it still was not my favorite.

So does Joty 2 change all that? Yes, for me it is a real advance over Joty og.

My set-up here is usb signal into Bifrost 2 and then
balanced to joty1 balanced out to Sennheiser 650 headphones, cf
se to joty2 se out to (different pair of) Sennheiser 650 headphones.
The se is my most likely use of joty 2 (I thought) and I can do the comparison simply by changing the headphones. I have other headphones, but this is easiest for the comparison

Now, I am a classical nut and I am more interested in the full timbral depth than I am to a sharp, ‘fast’ attack.

At first I listened to some music in passing, without getting analytical, and it was clear the Joty 2 is a different animal. It has a rounder, deeper tone (more timbral depth I call it) that takes me deeper into the music. And then I listened more analytically to my standard set of tracks.

The Joty og was always good on attacks, and the Joty 2 offers no advantage in that regard. Similarly I don’t hear much difference in sound stage, though that is of secondary importance to me. But when it comes to live acoustical music, Joty 2 has the fuller tone that I want. Dame Jane Baker singing Elgar’s Sea Pictures is one of my key tracks. On Joty og on the loud (ff) sections, she comes across as harsh and not very pleasant, especially on the loud passages. With Joty 2 she is not quite there in the room, but she is close and with a voice I want to hear. A Dvorak Piano Trio by the Nash ensemble comes across as very natural, with all the subtle nuances.

For me the Joty 2 is a clear winner, single ended, the Joty og goes back into the closet. Just briefly I listened to Joty 2 balanced. Hmmm, this may be another step up, that was impressive. But that will take more listening.

As always YMMV. We have different ears and listen for different things. This is my 2 cents. (4 cents? where are we with inflation?)
Noah

Thanks for your impressions! Any thoughts on differences in the treble range? To my ears the original Jotunheim had a bit of a 'metallic' tinge to it in the treble area, and I'm interested if that has changed on the Jotunheim 2.

Dec 26, 2020 at 6:48 PM Post #69,006 of 155,080
Is the a correlation between aging ears and the antipathy towards 'hi-res' branding? Due to life experience that it's all a big scam more so I'd guess than inability to hear the 'difference'.

I think I'm like most people who buy hi res assume that the components that go into are higher quality, even if the branding concept is flawed. Higher quality than what? Cheap junk. Basically it's safe to say that if it says hi res, it's not junk.

Probably not junk.

For me it’s the fact that the quality of the recording and mastering has way more effect than the resolution. I doubt I could pass a blind test between CD resolution and hi-res anyway. Well, maybe if I’m sitting in an anechoic chamber with the highest resolution gear. But schiity recordings? I can hear their schiitiness using my earbuds plugged into my phone.

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2020 at 7:00 PM Post #69,007 of 155,080

Probably not junk.
I hope the hi-res antipathy isn't correlated to age, I'm still sub-30 and have the view point that sampling significantly higher than what you can hear is silly (16/44.1-48 is high enough for what I buy, if you want to master at 24/96 so be it) same with bit depth, having more range that what I can safely listen to is crazy.

I would rather have the mastering done well using a reasonable range rather than trying to record for dogs to be able to hear it.

Dec 26, 2020 at 7:07 PM Post #69,008 of 155,080
My music loving dog does not appreciate your anti-canine sentiment and asks "why not both?". :unamused:

Dec 26, 2020 at 7:35 PM Post #69,011 of 155,080
Thanks for your impressions! Any thoughts on differences in the treble range? To my ears the original Jotunheim had a bit of a 'metallic' tinge to it in the treble area, and I'm interested if that has changed on the Jotunheim 2.

Most of my reservations with the Joty og were with the treble. Mid-bass and below, the Joty 2 and og sound very similar to me. Joty 2 does a much better job of integrating the sound well over the whole spectrum. ...to my ears and with my equipment, of course
Noah

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2020 at 8:27 PM Post #69,012 of 155,080
I wasn't trying to offend, they are man's best friend after all.

Mojo, our 14 year old chihuahua accepts your apology. :D

I agree that mastering is a huge factor in determining the quality of a recording. I am perfectly content with Redbook 44/16 and never purchase anything higher than 96/24 since that is likely the highest bitrate/sampling rate used in most studios. I just do not see the value in anything higher since my old ears couldn't hear the diff anyway.

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2020 at 8:38 PM Post #69,013 of 155,080
You folks have me really contemplating a JOT 2 just to see what all the commotion is about. I REALLY want to hear what Nexus is all about. :smirk:

Dec 26, 2020 at 8:49 PM Post #69,014 of 155,080
You folks have me really contemplating a JOT 2 just to see what all the commotion is about. I REALLY want to hear what Nexus is all about. :smirk:
I like what my Freya S sounds like, and it is "Nexus" based, now how similar the overall stack up is Jot2 vs Freya S in active mode I don't know.

Dec 26, 2020 at 9:10 PM Post #69,015 of 155,080
GE tubes serve better as cat toys for me. Doesn't take too long for them to get broken which means I can dispose of them more quickly. :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile:
Curious.

What do you do with GE labeled tubes manufactured by National Union? My 1942 6f8g National Union round plates:
1609034983706.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back