Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 10, 2020 at 6:25 PM Post #67,936 of 165,193
Mi Colonel @macdonjh has a point, he just didn't speak his mind very well. To (ahem) paraphrase, he meant to say something along the lines of "one shouldn't come to Texas for seafood any more than one should go to NC for BBQ."

Glad I was here to help. :beerchug:
Although Pappadeaux has pretty good seafood...

Dec 10, 2020 at 6:47 PM Post #67,937 of 165,193
Oh, please. We have an ocean. All you have is a gulf...you know, where all the algae and debris migrate and settle in. And somehow 'shrimp' and 'everything is bigger in Texas' seems a bit oxymoron-ish. But maybe you have really big shrimp? :grinning:
And a good thing, too. You need something that big to dump all that "BBQ" in. Just because there are pigs in NC doesn't mean they get cooked properly there.

It's actually funny looking at a seafood counter in Texas. We have "salad shrimp" (25 count per pound), "regular" (12 count per pound), various sizes of "jumbo" (anywhere from 10 to 6 count per pound) and then "colossal" (3 or four count per pound). The colossal shrimp are actually pretty impressive: as big as your hand. I think that may be one of those "only in Texas" things. I think they come from the same part of the ocean Godzilla comes from.

Dec 10, 2020 at 6:51 PM Post #67,938 of 165,193
Although Pappadeaux has pretty good seafood...
True, but I don't go there for fried food.

Actually, many of the Pappas restaurants have gone downhill, in my opinion, since I first immigrated to Texas (nobody simply moves here). Sad to say. They used to be universally good. Pappas Steak House is still good, though.

Dec 10, 2020 at 6:58 PM Post #67,939 of 165,193
Dec 10, 2020 at 7:05 PM Post #67,940 of 165,193
True, but I don't go there for fried food.

Actually, many of the Pappas restaurants have gone downhill, in my opinion, since I first immigrated to Texas (nobody simply moves here). Sad to say. They used to be universally good. Pappas Steak House is still good, though.

You're a TX immigrant? Well blow me down. And here I was thinking all along you were a native. I herefore take back most everything I've ever said about you. Well, at least the good stuff. :joy: :joy:

Dec 10, 2020 at 8:03 PM Post #67,942 of 165,193
Last edited:
Dec 10, 2020 at 8:39 PM Post #67,944 of 165,193

StarHopper TEST Soon!

Wow that was cool!

That Raptor engine is bad ass.

Aaaaaaand a few iterations later!

Screen Shot 2020-12-09 at 9.36.07 PM.jpg

https://twitter.com/nasawb57/status/1336794183315632130
bummer... NASA WB-57 Canberra circling for footage yesterday, but maint abort on launch day--

Simple Starship Maneuver Graph.jpg

Eo2HKkvUYAERFN1.jpg

Messages Image(4056095873).png

SN9 in the high bay

Goosebumps. Look at what we can do.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2020 at 9:43 PM Post #67,945 of 165,193
@Scott Kramer I watched that a few hours ago. The fact that it crashed on landing doesn't take away from the fact that it was an awesome feat of engineering. :rocket::rocket::rocket:
Totally cool!

Dec 10, 2020 at 10:01 PM Post #67,946 of 165,193
@Scott Kramer I watched that a few hours ago. The fact that it crashed on landing doesn't take away from the fact that it was an awesome feat of engineering. :rocket::rocket::rocket:
Totally cool!

thanks for the spoiler.:triportsad: I liked the post because i appreciated the link to the video, and was going to watch it later...oh well...

kinda like NASCAR, everything starts out OK, but you know there's going to be a crash (or two, or three) sometime during the race.

(at least I know the Lyr 3, not the 2, is the latest one) :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2020 at 10:23 PM Post #67,947 of 165,193
Much better that the Ropieee, I’m definitely sure.
I kind of doubt. Ropieee on Pi + Pi2AES is as good a stand-alone streamer as I've heard, and I've heard quite a few. Speakers, headphones, amps, DACs, I've plenty of evidence that big budgets can (not always, of course) make a difference. Streamers, not so much.

My theory of streamers is that general-purpose computers have such electrically broken digital audio outs, and many DACs have such blah digital audio inputs (XMOS or C-Media with their reference firmware), that high-end buyers are easily enticed into spending ridiculous sums for streamers, when a somewhat better source and a not-so-gimped DAC would have been the answer.

Dec 10, 2020 at 10:28 PM Post #67,948 of 165,193
This (or, should I say, “word”):
high-end buyers are easily enticed into spending ridiculous sums for streamers, when a somewhat better source and a not-so-gimped DAC would have been the answer.

Dec 10, 2020 at 10:29 PM Post #67,949 of 165,193
You guys never had my sardinhas assadas! Not my words but the portuguese tell me i do an excellent job (i think they just say it so they don’t need to grill themselves)
They tell you that because they are too wise to grill them themselves and take a week to get rid of the smell from their clothes, hair, and kitchen equipment :wink: Of the dishes I love, the highest deliciousness/messiness ratio. When COVID-19 finally lets me to go back to the old homeland, I'll have to look you up :)

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2020 at 11:10 PM Post #67,950 of 165,193
Welcome to Summit-Fi headphones... the Ether C Flow are a dandy pair of cans. I enjoy listening to all the subtle differences between my Magni, Vali, Valhalla, and Asgard 2. And hopefully soon... a Heretic and a Lyr 3 (or is it 2? Meh). Those Ether C's fit on my melon for hours at a time. And like Ty used to say, they have a ugly carrying case.

Re: HD650. In my case, the HD6XX clone. I never regretted that purchase. I picked them up right after my first pair of "good" 'or "reference" (AKA, model used in recording studios by my aquaintances) phones... my Sony MDR7510. Other than having to replace a flakey MASSDROP cable (covered by DROP's waranty... so no complaints), I enjoy THAT Senheisser sound and fit. :)

I bought my HD650 'phones about 15 years ago, not long after they came out. They've served me very well. I love the way they sit on my head since I, too, have a big noggin. Thick skull and all. One thing I like is that they are field repairable. Sennheiser sells the parts at a reasonable price - I need to buy the replacement pad for the head band. Love the way they they sound with the Valhalla. My HD4XX are from MASSDROP and were my first pair of planars. They are a gateway drug into the world of planars. Many (25 or so) years ago I bought a pair of Beyer DT990 Pro headphones. Still have them and they still have that great classic Beyer 'V' response. A little tweaking with the Loki into the Valhalla and they are a great alternate to the HD650.

The jaw dropping moment (first of many, more to come, I'm sure) with the Ether C Flow was while I was listening to Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here. At the start of the track there is the radio playing panned hard right. And all of a sudden I'm hearing the very subtle sounds of the guitar player before he clears his throat and starts playing. I never realized that there was more than a breath and a throat clearing before the guitar started. Damn! And this with the Modi MB, Loki (in bypass) and Magni 3.

For anyone sitting on the fence about the Modi Multibit - it's a serious bargain, performance wise. No, it doesn't sound as sparkly as the D/S type DACs tend to do. What it does do is have this sense of harmonic correctness that isn't present in a D/S DAC. To my ears it just sounds right. A great entry (ehem, gateway drug) to Schiit's multibit technology.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back