Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 27, 2020 at 11:15 AM Post #67,321 of 150,704
Does it really matter what topology one uses in an amplifier? I would think that the end result (whether objective or subjective) would be the only thing that matters, rather than the way one gets there.
It doesn't matter one bit. It's up to the designer. And you are correct, it's the end result that matters.

Nov 27, 2020 at 2:42 PM Post #67,323 of 150,704
well it matters if you really care about electricity consumption reduction
I suppose. But when it comes to audio that's the last thing I think about.

Nov 28, 2020 at 12:53 AM Post #67,325 of 150,704
must be a lot a lurkers (non-posters) on this thread.
Very possible. It's 12:51 am US-eastern time as I post this, and the s/w says that 22 [registered] Users and 39 Guests are reading this thread right now. So 61 people are wandering in the thread, somewhere between post 1 and post 67,324.

Nov 28, 2020 at 6:49 AM Post #67,326 of 150,704
How about that Nebraska Nigiri that I have been hearing about?

pszVDW2.jpg
Nah. One has to deep fry the 'dogs... :ksc75smile:

Nov 28, 2020 at 7:01 AM Post #67,327 of 150,704
question

i have a eikon that i am using with valhalla 2. is it best to first turn on the amp wait for the tubes to glow, and then plug in the heaphones.. also when turning off should i unplug headphones first and turn the amp off. or should i leave them plugged in all the time when turning on and off. i always leave the volume pot at the lowest volume either way when starting up or shutting down

thanks
Welcome to the the thread, @blackdragon87 (Vancouver, Bea Sea?! Greetings from T.O. Hoist a Granville Island brew for me, eh). My Valhalla 2 gradually turns on and off without any unnerving pops, snaps and clicks (unlike my Vali 2... even with its muting relay... that's quite jarring. POP... waiting for a BANG :triportsad: ...I don't leave anything plugged into my little toaster).

As a habit, I also turn down the volume with my amps... keeps the potentiometers from getting prematurely scratchy (and me avoiding dripping DeOxIT into their mechanisms).

Nov 28, 2020 at 7:06 AM Post #67,328 of 150,704
It doesn't matter one bit. It's up to the designer. And you are correct, it's the end result that matters.
It doesn't matter?! I bought all the different designs so I can figure out how they are different :)
I'm being silly. The end result is of course the point of many listeners. I've convinced myself that the different amplifications technologies modify the output and add extra woo-woo to the output. :gs1000smile:

Nov 28, 2020 at 7:18 AM Post #67,329 of 150,704
As a habit, I also turn down the volume with my amps... keeps the potentiometers from getting prematurely scratchy (and me avoiding dripping DeOxIT into their mechanisms).

I always turn down the volume to zero when I’m done listening for the same reason, and also to prevent earbleed had I listened to a low volume track last and then start next session with a high volume track and forget to turn it down beforehand :)

Nov 28, 2020 at 7:29 AM Post #67,330 of 150,704
Turning down the volume was ingrained for many of us who began our audio journey in the days of LP only as the only source. Old habits die hard.

Nov 28, 2020 at 7:58 AM Post #67,333 of 150,704
Happy weekend everyone. We survived another 5 days of work, while remaining uninfected?! Damn...
Anyway, here is a link for any newcomers to the thread. What is a DAC? As a high school science teacher, I was able to follow along (more or less). If one has grade 9, Ontario Curriculum, electricity understanding... it's enough to have a clue what the author's going on about.

{{{edit}}}...aaaand then I hit some more YouTube about the math involved in an ADC. Quantifization. Signal hold. Encoding. Just listen and enjoy the music?! Pshhh. I enjoy struggling in the weeds. :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2020 at 7:59 AM Post #67,334 of 150,704
Looks like I'm going to be an Yggy owner in a couple of weeks. :metal:

Side note: Paypal are a bunch of crooks, the currency conversion rate is a joke...

Congrats.. great piece of Schiit! PayPal sucks !

Nov 28, 2020 at 8:43 AM Post #67,335 of 150,704
Happy weekend everyone. We survived another 5 days of work, while remaining uninfected?! Damn...
Anyway, here is a link for any newcomers to the thread. What is a DAC? As a high school science teacher, I was able to follow along (more or less). If one has grade 9, Ontario Curriculum, electricity understanding... it's enough to have a clue what the author's going on about.

{{{edit}}}...aaaand then I hit some more YouTube about the math involved in an ADC. Quantifization. Signal hold. Encoding. Just listen and enjoy the music?! Pshhh. I enjoy struggling in the weeds. :ksc75smile:

That's one seriously nasty looking analog waveform. :grinning: :joy:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back