Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 17, 2020 at 2:15 PM Post #66,961 of 150,450
ConstanzaMooi.jpg

Nov 17, 2020 at 3:15 PM Post #66,962 of 150,450
I rip my CDs to AIFF as I prefer the metadata as well as an uncompressed file. I'm not concerned about storage space.

When it comes to copying a hard drive of music to a back up I've encountered an issue. Earlier this year I copied about 600G of music from a Western Digital external to a Samsung SSD (internal but with sata to USB3 adapter.) The SSD is so much faster for my playing devices to read but the problem I encountered is corrupted files. Its frustrating because I have so much music and I found the corrupted songs at random. So, I may have to invest in dbpoweramp as that can identify files with errors.

Nov 17, 2020 at 4:17 PM Post #66,963 of 150,450
I rip my CDs to AIFF as I prefer the metadata as well as an uncompressed file. I'm not concerned about storage space.

When it comes to copying a hard drive of music to a back up I've encountered an issue. Earlier this year I copied about 600G of music from a Western Digital external to a Samsung SSD (internal but with sata to USB3 adapter.) The SSD is so much faster for my playing devices to read but the problem I encountered is corrupted files. Its frustrating because I have so much music and I found the corrupted songs at random. So, I may have to invest in dbpoweramp as that can identify files with errors.
Use cloning software instead of drag and drop copying, and you tend to get fewer errors. Plus sometimes the software can identify files with errors.

Nov 17, 2020 at 4:34 PM Post #66,965 of 150,450
Nov 17, 2020 at 4:53 PM Post #66,967 of 150,450
Well, because of the pandemic, I'm no longer holding out for that rarest of components seemingly built out of unobtanium, a black Freya+. The wife had resisted the idea of silver Schiit in *her* living room since last year. But she figures there's a non-zero chance one or both of us senior citizens will get infected with Covid-19 and quite possibly won't be around in another year -- we both share a sense of fatalism about stuff like this, as it happens -- and she figured since I've been a wonderful spouse, I deserve a little break in case the palpably possible worst happens. So the silver Freya+ order is in for delivery, apparently, in about 5 weeks. Keeping fingers crossed.

We look at it this way. If I go first, she can get rid of it if she wants, but feel good about letting me enjoy it for a while. If she goes first, the effect on the decor won't matter. And if we both make it through, hopefully she'll get used to having it around making beautiful music. Can't hardly lose!
It really sucks the worst scenario for your living room decor is to have both you and your wife in the room...

Nov 17, 2020 at 4:57 PM Post #66,968 of 150,450
This doesn’t seem normal,...{{{snip}}}}. Turned out to be a wonky USB cable. New USB cable, and problem gone :slight_smile:
After several months of a Belkin cable, my 3-4m USB started to short out... pops. pings. drop outs. A replacement cable made the issue go away.

Nov 17, 2020 at 5:03 PM Post #66,969 of 150,450
It really sucks the worst scenario for your living room decor is to have both you and your wife in the room...
My patient spouse needs her silence. And here I am hell bent on hooking up Vidars, Magnepans, Sagas and such ilk. Nope. :triportsad: Ah well, at least she agrees with me a that a thunderous 2-channel kit will be needed for our 2024 Bruce Peninsula home. A Vidar XYZ will be in my future!

How many headphones does a man need? Moar?! :ksc75smile:

Nov 17, 2020 at 5:05 PM Post #66,970 of 150,450
After several months of a Belkin cable, my 3-4m USB started to short out... pops. pings. drop outs. A replacement cable made the issue go away.

inspect the cables for nail holes or teeth marks. note that the Belkin Lifetime Warranty does not cover damage incurred by "house panthers"

Nov 17, 2020 at 5:07 PM Post #66,971 of 150,450
Texas operations opens up a whole different culture of mythological names for new gear...
Prarie Oyster Op-Amp? Blech... :ksc75smile:

Nov 17, 2020 at 5:21 PM Post #66,972 of 150,450
And stable into 1/2 ohm loads because it never gives up...
never-give-up-never-surrender.gif
Galaxyquest. A fantastic and silly spoof on space operas.

Nov 17, 2020 at 5:22 PM Post #66,973 of 150,450
That was a fun flick with a good cast.

Nov 17, 2020 at 5:25 PM Post #66,974 of 150,450
Definitely some creepy Navajo mythology going on...!

...Fire up your favourite amp... plunk on the headphones... and turn off the lights. At the end of the episode, you get a special aural treat... first time it happened to me... I got gooseflesh!

Nov 17, 2020 at 5:27 PM Post #66,975 of 150,450

Unfortunately, dBpoweramp does not identify errors in existing rips, it just uses the AccurateRip database during the rips. PerfectTUNES, another utility produced by the same company, will identify dubious rips, manage missing or low-resolution cover art, manage tags, and remove duplicate tracks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back