Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 16, 2020 at 12:30 PM Post #64,908 of 151,119
To those on the forum who understand computers and digital audio, I would be interested in your views about the technical claims made by Antipodes Audio.
This NZ- based company makes music servers.
https://antipodes.audio/antipodes-technology.php

Their new 'state of the art' server, the K50, retails at £15k in the UK - around 100 times the cost of a Pi-based digital source :beyersmile:

Sep 16, 2020 at 12:33 PM Post #64,909 of 151,119
To those on the forum who understand computers and digital audio, I would be interested in your views about the technical claims made by Antipodes Audio.
This NZ- based company makes music servers.
https://antipodes.audio/antipodes-technology.php

Their new 'state of the art' server, the K50, retails at £15k in the UK - around 100 times the cost of a Pi-based digital source :beyersmile:
My guess is that there IS a raspberry pi inside it. And nothing else.

Sep 16, 2020 at 12:40 PM Post #64,910 of 151,119
Jason,

Are you saying that its not simple to make the Ragnarok RCA cards fit in Asgard and other modular amps? If I begged you offline and promised not to tell anyone could I take my luck with it? Its literally the perfect solution to my setup.
I think you hit the 'almost' part of the title of the chapter

Sep 16, 2020 at 12:59 PM Post #64,913 of 151,119
I used my RPi4 USB to Gumby (unison) vs my Sonore MicroRendu via Eitr to Coax.
Did you try MicroRendu direct USB to Unison? How did it compare with the other two setups? I'm asking because the Microrendu supposedly has less noisy voltage regulators, which might reduce electrical noise reaching the DAC via the USB cable. The Eitr does some work to block such electrical noise, too. IOW, just guessing that electrical noise into the DAC goes Pi 4 > MicroRendu > MicroRendu+Eitr. Of course you could also try Pi 4 + Eitr... Too many combinations, too little time.

Sep 16, 2020 at 1:08 PM Post #64,914 of 151,119
Did you try MicroRendu direct USB to Unison? How did it compare with the other two setups? I'm asking because the Microrendu supposedly has less noisy voltage regulators, which might reduce electrical noise reaching the DAC via the USB cable. The Eitr does some work to block such electrical noise, too. IOW, just guessing that electrical noise into the DAC goes Pi 4 > MicroRendu > MicroRendu+Eitr. Of course you could also try Pi 4 + Eitr... Too many combinations, too little time.

I ended up running the MicroRendu into Unison for awhile. In fact, it sounds really good and I'd also say better than the RPi4 directly into Unison. Although I couldn't do a direct A/B comparison.

I really only stopped running this setup because of family life changes (got a pet rabbit and he lives in the same room my stereo WAS in). For simplicity sake I am just using the RPi4 now into Gumby as the source of a headphone system in the same room. I had occasional and painful dropouts of network connectivity with the MicroRendu because I also had to use a Ethernet Bridge to get Ethernet to it.

I am trying to repurpose the MicroRendu, Eitr setup into my TV system (with my Naim Nait amp and speakers) , but currently that is an old AVR with no pre-outs.

Sorry its complicated.

I definitely believed MicroRendu to Unison was the best my system could sound.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2020 at 1:13 PM Post #64,915 of 151,119
I think you hit the 'almost' part of the title of the chapter
I don't mean to be a PITA, but am. My TT has a MC cart and I doubt internal MultiBit DAC is as good as my Gungnir MultiBit.

I guess I could run Balanced from Gumby, but I'd really like to stay Class A (Asgard 2 which I love) , or continuity architecture. For that I'm hoping Jason Has Jot_2 up his sleeve. Again I know nothing in case you didn't realize that.

Sep 16, 2020 at 1:32 PM Post #64,917 of 151,119
Jason,

Are you saying that its not simple to make the Ragnarok RCA cards fit in Asgard and other modular amps? If I begged you offline and promised not to tell anyone could I take my luck with it? Its literally the perfect solution to my setup.

Oh no, they fit. It's just it caused too many inquiries and difficulties with installation, so we pulled them. We don't need additional complexity, especially at a time we're still running 2 shifts to be COVID-compliant, and especially especially in cost-constrained products like Asgard 3. But if you ask nicely, we'll probably sell you one.

Back to the topic at hand. Don't forget the Virtual Schittr talk is today. @Jason Stoddard is it only via FaceBook are are the other means to log in?

I'm actually not sure, sorry. That would be a Denise question. They just point the camera at me and I ramble.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Sep 16, 2020 at 1:51 PM Post #64,918 of 151,119
Great chapter, and right on the money. Literally. For the last 40 years of my life whenever a client/manager/CEO says, "Yea but, why not add X, Y or Z?" or "Wonderful, now can it be green?" my reply has been a quick seat-of-pants estimate of how much more time, manpower and money that might cost. If the checkbook comes out then BOOM, off we go in the new direction. If not, then sign, seal, deliver and what's next?
The 3 least favorite words I could hear from my old Manager were "Can't you just"...

Sep 16, 2020 at 2:04 PM Post #64,920 of 151,119
Back to the topic at hand. Don't forget the Virtual Schittr talk is today. @Jason Stoddard is it only via FaceBook are are the other means to log in?
I sent Denise a question for the Schittr talk and also asked about Facebook, as I don't use any 'social media'.
Denise said that the talk will be on Youtube later, so I'll watch it there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back