Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 7, 2020 at 9:22 AM Post #64,398 of 155,031
You both are making me very anxious now to hear the Purifi version of the Hypex.
Maybe I should try to move the demonstration meeting forward.
And to still your DIY hunger, the guy is also bringing a paX home build amplifier, a design with "error correction", a design from early 2000.
Not a fan of the designs (both class D and error correction aka feed forward) but I keep an open mind for listening.
Not sure if it's allowed to put this link here but 6Moons has a great peace on the Purify and the dream team of engineers behind it.
Purify article
The Class D Hypex nCore design with additions can also be found in the Mola Mola Kaluga at 10x the price of the Schiit Aegir.
listen to the podcast at darkoaudio with the designer of ncore and eigentakt. Good he is an engineer and not an entertainer... i got tired listening to him but some interesting stuff is mentioned. Hypex and Purify are the manufacturers.

Sep 7, 2020 at 9:36 AM Post #64,399 of 155,031
Yep, we keep throwing money at a problem that can't be fixed. Don't confuse different for better. And it's okay to admit your addiction to that "new toy" smell, but have fun with it all.
different can be better but also worse. Often a mix thus highly complex, hence i like gear reasonably priced and honestly designed

Sep 7, 2020 at 11:12 AM Post #64,401 of 155,031
listen to the podcast at darkoaudio with the designer of ncore and eigentakt. Good he is an engineer and not an entertainer... i got tired listening to him but some interesting stuff is mentioned. Hypex and Purify are the manufacturers.
Bruno Putzeys is a pure (formerly Philips natlab) technician, most of the time these types are not the best speakers. He is a brilliant mind however.
All people involved in the Eigentakt design

purify.jpg

I've heard Products that Bruno Putzeys is involved in:
Kii3 Three (without the BXT) and Grimm Audio LS1 speakers both of them I think are far far over prized 22K for the Grimm and 12K for the Kii three and a whopping 31K for the Kii three with BXT. Technically they are great designs with a lot of knowledge incorporated but ..... I don't like how they sound.
That is exactly what I'm afraid of with the Purify amp. Technically WOW, but how will it sound.
Kii three is 100% DSP controlled, Grimm is the 2.0 version of the old Philips motional feedback system with much faster processing.
In the end you end up with drivers and too big a mass, different masses for different drivers, you can try to compensate it and you might be very successful, but I feel all that processing is audible. Not sounding natural. Again I fear the same problem with the amp.
All this equipment revolves around the class D Hypex amps. that are implemented in all this gear as in many other brand amps nowadays.

Sep 7, 2020 at 11:45 AM Post #64,402 of 155,031
Another update on the 50 Hz Sol challenge.
I opened up the 12V to 110V 60 Hz inverted and guess what .... there is a 16 mHz oscillator in the circuit. This normally has a frequency tolerance and stability of 30-50 PPM. Can anyone elaborate on this please?
So it might be frequency stable after all, despite the low price. And maybe no need for the big beast.

print.jpg klok.jpg

Sep 7, 2020 at 11:53 AM Post #64,403 of 155,031
You guys and yer knob pointer thingies... I grabbed a nice chrone chickenfoot knob from some supply house and stuck it on Vali 2 for a while. I could always tell where it was pointing... Sharpies.... sheesh!
...yeah, I know. It's neurotic. I track the volume without looking at it. The smooth potentiometers on my Valhalla and Asgard are hand's down more pleasant to spin back and forth. It's a viseral experience for me. Meh, my 2 cents.

In other musings... I'd discovered how enjoyable listening with iPads/iPhones/iDevices can be with an adapter (to my Bifrost 2). Now I have 2 digital sources to chose from.

Sep 7, 2020 at 12:46 PM Post #64,405 of 155,031
The only time I ever care about the position of a volume control is when I turn on my home theater system so it doesn't blast me out of the room as it starts up. For my headphone amps I either turn them down before I power on or just leave them at whatever was the previous listening level. If it's too loud I turn it down if it's too soft I turn it up and I never even look at the knob. To each his own.

Sep 7, 2020 at 12:54 PM Post #64,407 of 155,031
Don't you think that leaving the forum for this reason is overreacting, a bit ?

Look: If I offened anyone, I want to apologise. Hurting peoples feelings was never the intention.

But posts have been deleted, apologies have been offered ( not just by me), lessons were learned.

If you enjoyed this forum that much, don't you owe it to yourself to give us a second chance?
Let us prove we can better our behaviour. I for one won't disappoint you.
Thank you @strider1007
I won't give up on the thread just yet! :beyersmile:

Sep 7, 2020 at 12:57 PM Post #64,408 of 155,031
To all those making apologies for previous posts: in the future please just stop and think about the wide range of people on these forums before you post. What's fun and games to you is not fun and games to everyone. Thanks.

Sep 7, 2020 at 1:08 PM Post #64,409 of 155,031
Thanks! It's actually one of the original Squeezebox 2 players. I bought a couple way back when they came out, recently picked up a third one on e-bay as a spare. The SPDIF out of the Squeezebox goes into the Modi Multibit. I love that I have a dedicated remote that I can point at the thing to make it play music without reaching for my phone/tablet/laptop. They were a great product, it was painful to watch Logitech kill off the product line. Though I do appreciate that Logitech still has mysqueezebox.com up and running.

I have an LMS server running on an R-Pi 4 (just upgraded from the 3 to get the two USB-3 ports) which has a pair of 4TB drives on it. Running on Linux. Not gonna win any land speed computation records, but makes a really nice low power light weight media server. Plugins that support Qobuz & Spotify work without issues.
I don't know about the original Slim Device players but the Logitech era equipment came with rather poor quality power supplies. Replacement with Medical grade units made by Meanwell purchased from Jameco was an inexpensive upgrade in sound quality.

PM me if you have questions.

Sep 7, 2020 at 1:19 PM Post #64,410 of 155,031
this is better

Bought my Rag v1 from a fellow HF member. He used an adhesive-backed black rhinestone as a volume position indicator. Works a treat, so I left it. :D

Rv1-knob.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back