Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 24, 2020 at 1:28 PM Post #63,871 of 155,190
(close spelling)
Consider for Jason et alia co-workers...
https://meriwether.love/products/schitts-creek-birthday-card

1598290103844.png

Aug 24, 2020 at 1:31 PM Post #63,872 of 155,190
It's an odd phenomena, eh. I'm guessing the mechanism withing the Magnius rotates more smoothly than a stock Fulla or Magni. I'm pleased Schiit's attempting to provide us with more nuanced volume feedback. I value the tactile response. I'd still like Schiit to offer a larger dial (like their competitor, JDS Labs' El Amp II). I improved my volume control with weighted, microscope knobs (from a scrap yard).

My Fulla has a large horizontally-mounted knob. Its potentiometer does add a bit of crackle with my sensitive headphones (I can live with it... precision pots increase unit price). Meh, my 2 cents...
That is a nice knob/dial.
Check out this from A&K

https://www.astellnkern.com/eng/con...scg=CG213060&spos=0&tcg=&tpos=0&gcode=SC28930

1598290251608.png

Aug 24, 2020 at 1:33 PM Post #63,873 of 155,190
Aug 24, 2020 at 1:44 PM Post #63,874 of 155,190
Having owned several products from Schiit and several products from JDS Labs, I would not call them competitors or put them in the same class. Indeed, I would say the only thing they have in common is they both build products for headphones.

Aug 24, 2020 at 1:47 PM Post #63,875 of 155,190
Having owned several products from Schiit and several products from JDS Labs, I would not call them competitors or put them in the same class. Indeed, I would say the only thing they have in common is they both build products for headphones.
Fair enough. I did have an excellent first impression of JDS Labs when I started this ridiculous hobby. They answered my newbie questions promptly and honestly.

Aug 24, 2020 at 2:07 PM Post #63,876 of 155,190
I learned today that PS Audio are now in Beta testing for their new SACD/CD Transport.

https://www.psaudio.com/products/perfectwave-sacd-transport/

Launch is expected to be in October.
One of the main design features is that the output is galvanically isolated.
It uses I2S to output DSD from SACD.
(Personally, I have no interest in DSD or SACD, as I just use Red Book).

I am sure that galvanic isolation of the output will also be a feature of Mike’s Transport design...using Unison USB!

I also expect ( and hope) that the new Schiit Transport will be a lot more reasonably priced than this one....
and hopefully launched before October

Aug 24, 2020 at 2:08 PM Post #63,877 of 155,190
Note that phase can easily (and usually) be reversed in the analog domain - it's not just a digital thing. That's why I prefer the phase switch on my pre/amp rather than my DAC - that way I can reverse the phase from LP, FM, tape, or whatever source.
Maybe / probably it happens / can only be done in the analogue domain on the DAC?

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2020 at 2:14 PM Post #63,878 of 155,190
LOL, well my guess, $799 to $899 with a full feature set and logical operation.
if feature set is equal to the cambridge and audiolab transport lus the usb, i predict it shall be cheaper in US and about the same in euries y sterlings

Aug 24, 2020 at 2:15 PM Post #63,879 of 155,190
$6500. Wow. I definitely hope Schiit drops that last zero and then doesn't add to much.
If all those buzz word features were on the Schiit transport I would NEVER buy it no matter the price point.
I hope the Schiit transport is more about the things that matter.

Aug 24, 2020 at 2:41 PM Post #63,882 of 155,190
The point of the phase button is to be able to correct not for what the players did, but for mistakes made in the mixing/mastering chain.
You can not correct any phase errors in the mixing. If the mastering is in opposite phase you can assume it was done deliberately. No professional sound engineer makes that mistake.
You can only reverse to compensate for design errors in speakers and gear, cabling, bad positioning, room acoustics.
If a soundtrack sounds "better" with reversed phase in your room and with your equipment it only means your room acoustics, comb filter or standing waves are less annoying / less counter productive when you reverse the phase.
That is all, nothing more, nothing less. In another room with other equipment the result can be randomly different.

Aug 24, 2020 at 2:47 PM Post #63,884 of 155,190
You can not correct any phase errors in the mixing. If the mastering is in opposite phase you can assume it was done deliberately. No professional sound engineer makes that mistake.
You can only reverse to compensate for design errors in speakers and gear, cabling, bad positioning, room acoustics.
If a soundtrack sounds "better" with reversed phase in your room and with your equipment it only means your room acoustics, comb filter or standing waves are less annoying / less counter productive when you reverse the phase.
That is all, nothing more, nothing less. In another room with other equipment the result can be randomly different.
Indeed. Which is why my advice was to listen while playing with the switch and if you like one position more than the other, leave it there for that recording. :)

Aug 24, 2020 at 2:48 PM Post #63,885 of 155,190
I don't agree master. I am very pleased with my P5 power regenerator.
It floats my boat big time.
Floating boats is the key, of course. My boats seem to float just fine for FAR lower investment. Everyone's needs are different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back