Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 14, 2020 at 6:46 AM Post #63,226 of 150,199
I bought my original stack direct from US, I've bought a few things from abroad.

Another gotcha is foreign currency transaction fees that some banks apply, I have a credit card with zero fees on those for that reason.

I noticed that Schiit UK has Fulla 3 in stock again, so that sorts my mobile / headset solution. The markup is not that bad when you consider all the above fees that you no longer need to pay.

Aug 14, 2020 at 7:28 AM Post #63,227 of 150,199
True, but oh so interesting. Just do a Google search on "MC Escher" and select "Images" instead of "All".

And any math he had to do for his drawings were done on a piece of paper (when he lived, there were no calculators or computers).

There is a museum dedicated to his work in the town where I lived my whole life until I moved to the Middle East. Amazing stuff.

I just read an old interview with him (in Dutch) where he complains about how bad he always was at Math when at school.

Part of his problem was, he explained, that he just could never understand why he should provide proof for everything that was just plain obvious.

Later in life he could converse easier with scientists then with artists.

Link in Dutch: https://www.vn.nl/bibeb-escher/

Aug 14, 2020 at 7:53 AM Post #63,228 of 150,199
To answer you straight up, it's a Pontiac Firebird and not a Chevrolet Corvette. It's a classic 70's-80's muscle car, along with the Corvette. Big V8 motors, lots of horsepower, schitty chassis and atrocious quality control. The firebird (or it's companion Trans Am) was made famous in the TV series Rockford Files which I grew up with.
Rockford Files was a favorite of mine. Too bad the world now has more Angels than Jims.

On Rockford's Firebird Esprit: https://www.autoweek.com/car-life/a...-firebird-esprit-were-our-favorite-underdogs/

Aug 14, 2020 at 8:22 AM Post #63,229 of 150,199
Here is a bit old twitter thread by a former Tesla IT guy but I doubt much has changed as big companies are slow on changing their way of working:
https://twitter.com/atomicthumbs/status/1032939617404645376

These are some really nasty things and, working in IT, all I have to say is: "Heeeeeell nooooo!". Never will be driving a Tesla.

A colleague has a Model S and a Model 3 and recently his Model 3 had an issue that the wipers either turned on randomly or didn't work at all (and he lives in Belgium where it rains a lot) and our conversation went like this:

Colleague: I've finally went for service to fix the wipers.
Me: Great, what did they do - turn it off then on again?
C: Yeah, exactly that. They did install some updates but they basically rebooted it. But now the side mirrors don't work, they stay closed.
M: Can't you just open them manually?
C: I can, but as soon as I start driving they close again.

All of a sudden these mechanical 'vettes and 'birds look more than perfect!

Don't get me wrong - Musk is a great innovator and PayPal, SpaceX and Tesla are all groundbreaking companies. It's just that there is a difference between testing and production, especially considering how much money Teslas cost and that there are human lives involved.

Edited to give credit where it's due.
Gee, I didn’t know the only cars to have repair issues and glitches were Teslas.

Aug 14, 2020 at 8:22 AM Post #63,230 of 150,199
I started reading this as I own a mini pile of Schiit (Modi 2 U and Vali 2) which I found as a recommendation on another discussion somewhere on Head Fi whilst talking about iems and cans. I use Sennheisser HD6XX to listen with this and all in all I'm very happy with my set up.

However there is always an itch to buy more, especially as I listen to music at work as well as at home (though work is home for the moment, and has been since March). So any potential purchase I make will be put off until later.

Since you like the Vali2/Modi combo, I’d recommend the Lyr3/Bifrost2. That is what I have and loving it. I’m also using the HD6XX, too :L3000:

Aug 14, 2020 at 8:29 AM Post #63,231 of 150,199
I've worked on linguistic meaning and the statistics of language for most of my career, so when I read something like that, I always check :ksc75smile: Also, human language is more(ana)logical than logical -- after all, language came well before math, logic, or programming -- and so it's not hard to understand why "N times Yer" for any positive number N and any scalar adjective would work, whether the scalar adjective has a positive direction (like "loud") or negative (like "soft"). Linguistics is fun :smile_phones:
I had to read your last sentence a couple of times before I understood what you were saying. I think linguistics may be nearly 180 deg "out of phase" with my profession. Actually, artists are 180 deg out, so linguists might only be 150 deg away from how I think. It's great there are so many ways to approach anything.

You just had to bring that up...! :disappointed:. And me being a UVA fan...! :thumbsup:
Does that mean you have to switch over to the PS Audio thread?

It's always best to ask orders@schiit.com about any stocking questions--I really have no idea.
The best part of your company outgrowing your garage must be being able to say, "We have people for that."

as remote car software updates become widespread, hackers will soon be holding people captive in their cars, speeding down the highway (instead of their data on their electronics) for ransom.
There are already too many BS things in cars I don't want to pay for, let alone fix when they break. It's stupid to me that a bump on the front bumper costs $2000 to fix because of the cameras and sonar/radar units and which "have" to be replaced. And $1200 head light fixtures (I know that from personal experience)?! All that makes Jim Rockford's car look pretty good to me.

Does @Jason Stoddard (or any of my fellow poops) believe that a reasonable set of headphones (Audeze LCD series, Senn 5/6xx, Grado all) would sound better using all balanced connections, rather than using the single ended connections, of the Magnanimous (eh, Magnimodius? Magdaminous? should be one word for the flat stack).
My experience: for the short cable runs I have, and my fairly (electrically) quiet house grid, I haven't noticed any benefit to having balanced signal wiring in any of my audio systems. Perhaps the pros need it. Or people living in population-dense situations like high-rise apartment buildings. On the head phone side, the ZMF Atticus I had definitely benefited from a balanced connection at the amplifier. My other head phones and IEMs have shown negligible differences between balanced and SE.

For the last hour and half I've been down in the basement sipping Scotch and enjoying Alison Krauss and Steely Dan.

Listening with my eyes closed, I've drifted in and out of coherent thought. I am super relaxed, hoping that counts for something on tomorrow's drive.
I did almost exactly this last night as well. After the third or fourth time I "drifted back" I remembered today is a work day, so I turned my DAP off <sniff>, put my head phones back on the stand, rolled over and stayed awake for another forty-five minutes wishing I still had my music on and didn't have to go to work.

Rockford Files was a favorite of mine. Too bad the world now has more Angels than Jims.
Amen. My daughter gave me the series DVD set for Christmas a couple of years ago. After ripping them I binge-watched every episode (but not the TV movies).

Aug 14, 2020 at 8:34 AM Post #63,232 of 150,199
We both got tired of boring colors. Rina has a bright teal Wrangler, I have a bright blue Corvette. There you go.
My son and I were at a school gathering last year. For no particular reason I noticed the parking lot: two dozen or so cars, only two of which were not black, silver or white. Somewhat ironically, I drive a black car (the first black car I've owned). My next WILL be red.

Aug 14, 2020 at 8:50 AM Post #63,233 of 150,199
My son and I were at a school gathering last year. For no particular reason I noticed the parking lot: two dozen or so cars, only two of which were not black, silver or white. Somewhat ironically, I drive a black car (the first black car I've owned). My next WILL be red.

I call this the "Fifty Shades of Gray" problem with automotive paint choices.

We have the primary additive colors (primary school version) coevered in the house here: blue, yellow, and red.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2020 at 9:04 AM Post #63,234 of 150,199
I call this the "Fifty Shades of Gray" problem with automotive paint choices.

We have the primary additive colors (primary school version) coevered in the house here: blue, yellow, and red.
Funny ....that is humans are really funny...only se ..where is the balanced..only balanced where is the se...balanced and se. Why both?

To please the masses. To provide choices.

Affordable good choices...

Phenomenal marketing....

You go Schiit. !!

Aug 14, 2020 at 10:13 AM Post #63,237 of 150,199
I kind of want to see what the multibit sounds like so was thinking an all in one solution like the Asgard 3 with the card, but then the Bifrost looks nice and has the Unison upgrade, but also costs a lot more as I'd still need an amp! A third part of my brain is also telling me I know I like the current stack, so why not buy a Modi 3 (or multibit to try that) and Vali 2 for my second location, but it's boring to have the same again right? The only thing I know for sure is that I don't want the newest products as I'm not so bothered about balanced (though they do look like nice products).
Hi Martin and welcome to our little schitty corner of Head Fi.

My .02: As you already own an inexpensive setup that you are satisfied with, your next purchase shouldn't tied to budget concerns all that much. Granted, we all need to make ends meet and I'm not saying, "Drop everything you have on the Yggdrasil / Ragnarok 2." What I'm saying is, don't go for the "all-in-one solution" because it's the cheaper option*; likewise for the Modi Multibit if what you really want is the Bifrost 2. It is true that Bifrost 2 is more expensive and requires a dedicated amplifier, but it also sounds better and gets you extra pride of ownership (we all tell ourselves it doesn't matter while we all know it does.)

If you're anything like me, you go for the cheaper option to assuage the part of your brain that recoils in horror at the thought of spending "that kind of money" on your hobby, and you'll spend your time thinking how much better the higher-end gear would have been instead of enjoying what you bought. However little you'd end up spending would be wasted.

You're in no rush to buy as you're not starting from scratch and already possess gear you enjoy. I say you take advantage of that and save up to the gear you really want, and scratch that itch the way it begs to be scratched.

* in the sense that "because it's the cheaper option" is the wrong reason to go for it. If the all-in-one solution is what you want, by all means that's what you should be getting.

I agree with @ev666il comments. I'm also after a Bifrost 2. But just to throw a different option... With you (@Martin Howell) having tried the previous Modi 2 Uber, would it be nice to try what the Schiit Multibit sound is like first (with a $250 Modi Multibit) before investing in a Bifrost 2? Perhaps buy the amp now that is a significant upgrade (Lyr 3 was recommended earlier in the thread) and will pair well with the Modi MB and the Bifrost 2 in the future? Food for thought.

PS: My current setup is Eitr -> Modi MB -> Vali 2 -> HD 6XX so I'm a little biased.

I bought my original stack direct from US, I've bought a few things from abroad.

Another gotcha is foreign currency transaction fees that some banks apply, I have a credit card with zero fees on those for that reason.

I noticed that Schiit UK has Fulla 3 in stock again, so that sorts my mobile / headset solution. The markup is not that bad when you consider all the above fees that you no longer need to pay.
Fulla 3 is on B-stock for $89. I have one for my work travel setup (not much of that these days, though) because the mic input is nice for Skype meetings. Paired with some efficient dynamic driver headphones (V-MODA Crossfade M-100 in my case) it makes for the perfect work travel setup.

Aug 14, 2020 at 10:14 AM Post #63,238 of 150,199
Here is a bit old twitter thread by a former Tesla IT guy but I doubt much has changed as big companies are slow on changing their way of working:
https://twitter.com/atomicthumbs/status/1032939617404645376

These are some really nasty things and, working in IT, all I have to say is: "Heeeeeell nooooo!". Never will be driving a Tesla.

A colleague has a Model S and a Model 3 and recently his Model 3 had an issue that the wipers either turned on randomly or didn't work at all (and he lives in Belgium where it rains a lot) and our conversation went like this:

Colleague: I've finally went for service to fix the wipers.
Me: Great, what did they do - turn it off then on again?
C: Yeah, exactly that. They did install some updates but they basically rebooted it. But now the side mirrors don't work, they stay closed.
M: Can't you just open them manually?
C: I can, but as soon as I start driving they close again.

All of a sudden these mechanical 'vettes and 'birds look more than perfect!

Don't get me wrong - Musk is a great innovator and PayPal, SpaceX and Tesla are all groundbreaking companies. It's just that there is a difference between testing and production, especially considering how much money Teslas cost and that there are human lives involved.

Edited to give credit where it's due.
Keep a close eye on tesla, no model years, they continually improve when and where they can... They leverage SpaceX engineers, have developed their own SOC/GPU for self driving, from one of the apple Ax ARM chip designers, so they are now even iterating on that. And thats just the car, also trucks/semi, os/ai/self-learning, energy, solar, batteries, manufacturing, etc... Start here checking them out:

Aside: battery day may be verrry interesting, will they swoop in and buy tianqi?
Aside2: They launched that grain silo, and precisely landed it... didn't. guess. too much... falcon landing computers in there, leveraging all that self-learned data from successful landings-- this is also the tesla computer and how it self-improves. And... look at the starship, a tesla battery strapped on top, a tesla motor driving the gimbaling and thrust vector control.
Aside3: guys: they are spinning their own silicon

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2020 at 10:17 AM Post #63,239 of 150,199
Nice !!
Screenshot_20200813-171201_Chrome.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back