Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 1, 2020 at 8:26 PM Post #58,021 of 151,652
Apr 1, 2020 at 8:36 PM Post #58,023 of 151,652
Apr 1, 2020 at 10:21 PM Post #58,024 of 151,652
I think at one point my parents' mortgage was 17% or 18%. I have no idea how they made it through that. That period lasted for a few years.

"Global Financial Stupidity": amen.

That last tidbit sounds like it was authored by Milo Minderbinder. "Everyone has a share!"

I'm in the process of refinancing a 20yr at 2.875%, hopefully the paperwork can get through to lock that rate in.

If you've not looked lately, rates are super low and you could probably save a bit of cash on a refi.

Apr 1, 2020 at 11:32 PM Post #58,025 of 151,652
A Schiit Hel and a boom mic cable for my LCD-2 to work from home
WFH setup:

Schiit Hel
Dan Clark Audio Æon 2 Closed
Microphone

IMG_20200401_201428.jpg

Apr 2, 2020 at 12:04 AM Post #58,027 of 151,652
I think at one point my parents' mortgage was 17% or 18%. I have no idea how they made it through that. That period lasted for a few years.
Had one of those for our first house, 1984 in the Bay Area. But house values went up like crazy, house more than doubled by 1989, when we sold to move to the East Coast (job change). Then the floor fell off the Bay Area housing market from 1990 to 1997...

Apr 2, 2020 at 3:38 AM Post #58,029 of 151,652
For those who would like to learn a bit about 'dirty power' and how complex it is…
https://www.vox.com/energy-and-envi...ity-technology-efficiency-software-waste-3dfs

JJ

interesting device, but the price is just a bit high right now, and it may need 3-phase or at least split-phase 120-neutral-120 power input. presumably, per the technical description it switches the load between the three phases at some high (above audible) frequency in order to deliver a clean sine wave. didn't mention anything about being able to pass FCC class B radiated/conducted EMI for home use (might be class A industrial / commercial limits at this time, or maybe not even since the test site was in Germany.

there are cheaper / simpler solutions that could be implemented in data centers to improve the power balance between the phases, but that's another topic entirely.

Apr 2, 2020 at 4:42 AM Post #58,030 of 151,652
interesting device, but the price is just a bit high right now, and it may need 3-phase or at least split-phase 120-neutral-120 power input. presumably, per the technical description it switches the load between the three phases at some high (above audible) frequency in order to deliver a clean sine wave. didn't mention anything about being able to pass FCC class B radiated/conducted EMI for home use (might be class A industrial / commercial limits at this time, or maybe not even since the test site was in Germany.

there are cheaper / simpler solutions that could be implemented in data centers to improve the power balance between the phases, but that's another topic entirely.
Yes, I agree.
The device mentioned is a commercial/industrial solution to dirty power from the mains and that being created by the load itself.

And the reason I posted this, is to give some an idea of the complexity of what is involved with delivering a 'pure' ac sine wave that not only corrects the phase alignment of the current to the voltage for each phase that feeds the load and also to correct the 'noise' created by the load itself.

Yes there are cheaper partial solutions, but thus far I have not seen any solution that is as comprehensive and that adapts to the varying demands of the load as it changes.

And to be sure this technology is not ready or prime time for residential use.
Nor is it clear that it can be used on single phase ac feeds.

But the ability to 'correct', in a dynamic 'real time' live environment, the ac power to such a degree is noteworthy in and of itself.

JJ

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2020 at 8:53 AM Post #58,031 of 151,652
I am blessed to have good ears at age 70 and I have had 20+ amps in house in the past few years...and rotate thru them on a weekly basis. Several vendors have sent me their stuff to try out...I am not a professional reviewer with a you tube channel, just been doing this stuff for years...an EE, amateur radio op, that has built lots of stuff and worked with the exotic test gear in labs at IBM, GE, Simmonds Precision and others over the years...

I dont have an O'scope or AP or Dscope....I just use my headphones and ears to listen and test and smile. Keep it simple...

I used to be a measurebator (which to me is NOT a bad term), but over the years it has mellowed and I like looking at the end to end result...how good is the sound?

There are a lot of permutations out there that will make me and you smile for sure.

One of the things this corona virus has brought to light is life is precious and short....so rather than wax on negative stuff or why the third harmonic isnt 140db down maybe you should just take the time to enjoy the music "while you can"...and share with your loved ones...

Schiit has provided and will provide a myraid of devices and gadgets that will keep us audio headphone addicts occupied and smiling hopefully for years to come!

A wonderful morning here in North Carolina! Coffe is good!

The best!
Alex

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2020 at 9:51 AM Post #58,033 of 151,652
I always wonder when I see those (high) efficiency SPL numbers with speakers, how do they do that? Or better how do they measure that.
The specs on the ATC scm11 look very truthfully in this matter.

In my experience, as an owner of ATC speakers, and also having visited the factory in UK, I have great confidence in the accuracy of the company's published specifications.
My SCM 100 ASLs are active , so sensitivity is irrelevant, but in passive form the sensitivity is quoted at 88dB
Frequency response ( -6dB) 32- 22 KHz
Linearity (+/- 2dB) 65- 17Khz.
Using Qobuz 16/44.1 digital source and Yggy A2 they sound stunning!

Apr 2, 2020 at 10:11 AM Post #58,034 of 151,652
I'm in the process of refinancing a 20yr at 2.875%, hopefully the paperwork can get through to lock that rate in.

If you've not looked lately, rates are super low and you could probably save a bit of cash on a refi.

We're actually close enough that rather than refinancing, we're considering just paying the stupid thing off and being done. Our mortgage isn't that much higher than 2.875% anyway; though the new "no cost refinances" are tempting.

Had one of those for our first house, 1984 in the Bay Area. But house values went up like crazy, house more than doubled by 1989, when we sold to move to the East Coast (job change). Then the floor fell off the Bay Area housing market from 1990 to 1997...

There was a bubble and crash is CA prior to that one, too. I think late '70s to early '80s? My parents rode both of those out. Kind of scary, really, with so much money tied up in primary residences. Good training for the modern stock market, though. Can you believe yesterday's sell-off based on no news? Makes me wonder what will happen today with the poor unemployment report coming out? Traders ignored the poor report last week while they anticipated the stimulus bill...

Yes, I agree.
The device mentioned is a commercial/industrial solution to dirty power from the mains and that being created by the load itself.

And the reason I posted this, is to give some an idea of the complexity of what is involved with delivering a 'pure' ac sine wave that not only corrects the phase alignment of the current to the voltage for each phase that feeds the load and also to correct the 'noise' created by the load itself.

Yes there are cheaper partial solutions, but thus far I have not seen any solution that is as comprehensive and that adapts to the varying demands of the load as it changes.

And to be sure this technology is not ready or prime time for residential use.
Nor is it clear that it can be used on single phase ac feeds.

But the ability to 'correct', in a dynamic 'real time' live environment, the ac power to such a degree is noteworthy in and of itself.

JJ

I've always though Jeff Rowland had it right: if you really want clean power, forget feeding your gear 120VAC and have a 12VDC battery. Seems like that solves almost all the problems at less expense. I was always floored by the cost of the PS Audio conditioners and regenerators. There was another company whose name I can't remember; I think one of their products was the Pole Pig...

Apr 2, 2020 at 10:44 AM Post #58,035 of 151,652
...life is precious and short....so rather than wax on negative stuff or why the third harmonic isnt 140db down maybe you should just take the time to enjoy the music "while you can"...and share with your loved ones...

Couldn't agree more! :beerchug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back