Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 28, 2020 at 10:22 AM Post #57,901 of 151,179
In the spirit of "hey, we're all stuck at home and need Schitt to do", I've got a paperback copy of "Schiit Happened" that I'll be happy to donate to the first person who PMs me. Other than some dog-eared pages its in great shape. I'll even cover the cost of shipping to US addresses unless someone in Canada can convince me that the shipping difference isn't too bad.

Here's a peek with it hiding behind the very highly regarded Scotch mod.

Mods, if this violates TOS I'll take it down ASAP.

Book.png

Do mods (other than Jason) even "mod" this thread unless something gets reported?

Mar 28, 2020 at 10:25 AM Post #57,902 of 151,179
Listening to Physical Graffiti on the Sol with the Lebowski mod tonight ("Caucasian" with Stoli). Let's roll, indeed.

This Sol is one fine table. Especially like it after upgrading the stylus to the ML model.

Hope all are well. (If one must shelter in place this is a palatable way to do so.)

Did you do a comparison of the 2 styli? I'm curious of the differences but not enough to drop the $$$ on one right now... Still waiting for my "E" to come in...

Mar 28, 2020 at 1:15 PM Post #57,903 of 151,179
Hi I’m Steve, a new member from the Pacific NW. First off thanks to everyone for their good information and humor. The community has been a great resource and very fun as I’ve been evolving my headphone and 2-channel speaker system recently.

A bit about my audiophile journey. My parents had some nice equipment and some great jazz albums for me to appreciate as a kid in the 60’s. My dad soldered together some Fisher kits with a Thorens TD-135 Mk I table and Koss Pro 4/A. Neither of us remember the speakers though. I asked for a speaker kit for a present one year (Speakerlab Point Ones). I start assembling my first separates system in college. Pioneer SA-9800 integrated amp and matching cassette deck, Technics SL-B5 turntable with Ortofon Concorde MC cartridge. I upgraded to Koss CM-1020 speakers which are still in use at my folks house. A JVC XL-Z555 CD player was the first digital component.

In my married with kids years I evolved into NAD separates ranging from the Monitor Series 2400 THX Amp and 1600 preamp/tuner and NAD CD player, to a NAD 214 amp, 162 pre and Paradigm monitors with a sub. In the age of streaming I added a Cambridge DAC. I loved this system and still use it today in the workshop.

When we did a remodel on the house everything had to be put in storage for months and we emerged out of it mainly listening to our music through Sonos. We love music in our lives with Sonos but I was missing my dedicated system and so set up the NAD system in my Den/Office. I missed playing with vinyl and picked up a Rega Planar 1 so I could listen to our LPs. I was using some Paradigm Titans and was interested in an upgrade and ended up getting a pair of B&W 685 S2s. Really enjoy those and added a Sumiko S.5 sub to round out the bottom end. I’d been reading the head-fi blogs after being consumed by the chapter history of Schitt Audio – I was hooked. I picked up a Fulla 2 to test the waters - good product and process.

Continuing the upgrade path I ended up getting a RME ADI-2 DAC to replace the DacMagic. I really like the ADI-2 DAC although I wonder if I would now own the Bifrost 2 if it had come out sooner. Needing to replace my aging NAD CD player I ended up deciding on the Audiolab 6000CDT as I couldn’t wait for the Schiit spinner. It’s a very nice transport and I’m having fun exploring my CD collection again in addition to streaming.

After the study of all things Schiit I’ve been dreaming and deciding, with all of your discussions, what electronics and speakers I wanted to go with next. I determined I wanted to go down the balanced DAC to preamp to dual power amps chain and as I’ve always loved the sound of Magnepan since my school days and after the LRS came out I knew I had to have them. So with Freya S available I got that preamp to pair with my NAD 214 amp. Nice indeed. I then obtained two Vidars and again very satisfying with the B&W/Sumiko combo. Then in early December I called Eric at Magnepan and ordered the LRSs. 3-1/2 months later I finally received them last week. The system has been on continuously for the last week as I write this and sounds amazing. The Vidars are handling the LRSs supremely. Jazz, Alternative, Acoustic, 70s/80s Rock, Classical – I’m digging it. Sumiko sub is melding nicely. Magna Riser Airborne stands ordered 8 weeks ago are due to arrive today. I can’t wait. Enjoying the Schiit journey. Thanks again for this community. Stay safe and good listening.

Mar 28, 2020 at 1:45 PM Post #57,904 of 151,179
Hi I’m Steve, a new member from the Pacific NW. ......{{{snip}}}....Needing to replace my aging NAD CD player I ended up deciding on the Audiolab 6000CDT as I couldn’t wait for the Schiit spinner. It’s a very nice transport and I’m having fun exploring my CD collection again in addition to streaming......{{{snip}}}....Thanks again for this community. Stay safe and good listening.
Welcome to the thread. I can appreciate your decision about forgoing the transport. Schiit's remaining mum about its launch (I'll check out the 6000CDT and see if it's a good fit for me). Hoist a Raineer Beer for me (to the tune of that awesome beer ad they had back in 1986-ish).

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2020 at 2:04 PM Post #57,905 of 151,179
Welcome to the thread. I can appreciate your decision about forgoing the transport. Schiit's remaining mum about its launch (I'll check out the 6000CDT and see if it's a good fit for me). Hoist a Raineer Beer for me (to the tune of that awesome beer ad they had back in 1986-ish).

Thanks for the welcome ScubaMan2017. The transport is built very solidly including the slot drive. Read-ahead buffer works as described. Doesn't look out of place with a Freya S on top of it :wink: I'm very happy with the sound through the RME DAC connected by coax.
The Rainier video clip was a fun one. I enjoy a Rainier every once in a while as a diversion from micro brews or whisky...

Mar 28, 2020 at 3:42 PM Post #57,906 of 151,179
Hi I’m Steve, a new member from the Pacific NW. First off thanks to everyone for their good information and humor. The community has been a great resource and very fun as I’ve been evolving my headphone and 2-channel speaker system recently.

A bit about my audiophile journey. My parents had some nice equipment and some great jazz albums for me to appreciate as a kid in the 60’s. My dad soldered together some Fisher kits with a Thorens TD-135 Mk I table and Koss Pro 4/A. Neither of us remember the speakers though. I asked for a speaker kit for a present one year (Speakerlab Point Ones). I start assembling my first separates system in college. Pioneer SA-9800 integrated amp and matching cassette deck, Technics SL-B5 turntable with Ortofon Concorde MC cartridge. I upgraded to Koss CM-1020 speakers which are still in use at my folks house. A JVC XL-Z555 CD player was the first digital component.

In my married with kids years I evolved into NAD separates ranging from the Monitor Series 2400 THX Amp and 1600 preamp/tuner and NAD CD player, to a NAD 214 amp, 162 pre and Paradigm monitors with a sub. In the age of streaming I added a Cambridge DAC. I loved this system and still use it today in the workshop.

When we did a remodel on the house everything had to be put in storage for months and we emerged out of it mainly listening to our music through Sonos. We love music in our lives with Sonos but I was missing my dedicated system and so set up the NAD system in my Den/Office. I missed playing with vinyl and picked up a Rega Planar 1 so I could listen to our LPs. I was using some Paradigm Titans and was interested in an upgrade and ended up getting a pair of B&W 685 S2s. Really enjoy those and added a Sumiko S.5 sub to round out the bottom end. I’d been reading the head-fi blogs after being consumed by the chapter history of Schitt Audio – I was hooked. I picked up a Fulla 2 to test the waters - good product and process.

Continuing the upgrade path I ended up getting a RME ADI-2 DAC to replace the DacMagic. I really like the ADI-2 DAC although I wonder if I would now own the Bifrost 2 if it had come out sooner. Needing to replace my aging NAD CD player I ended up deciding on the Audiolab 6000CDT as I couldn’t wait for the Schiit spinner. It’s a very nice transport and I’m having fun exploring my CD collection again in addition to streaming.

After the study of all things Schiit I’ve been dreaming and deciding, with all of your discussions, what electronics and speakers I wanted to go with next. I determined I wanted to go down the balanced DAC to preamp to dual power amps chain and as I’ve always loved the sound of Magnepan since my school days and after the LRS came out I knew I had to have them. So with Freya S available I got that preamp to pair with my NAD 214 amp. Nice indeed. I then obtained two Vidars and again very satisfying with the B&W/Sumiko combo. Then in early December I called Eric at Magnepan and ordered the LRSs. 3-1/2 months later I finally received them last week. The system has been on continuously for the last week as I write this and sounds amazing. The Vidars are handling the LRSs supremely. Jazz, Alternative, Acoustic, 70s/80s Rock, Classical – I’m digging it. Sumiko sub is melding nicely. Magna Riser Airborne stands ordered 8 weeks ago are due to arrive today. I can’t wait. Enjoying the Schiit journey. Thanks again for this community. Stay safe and good listening.
Wecome!
My first turntable was Pioneer 12D, circa 1972. I upgraded to an Ortofon Concord! I think mine was a mm cartridge? Circa 1985 I replaced it with a Systemdek IIX, Linn Basic Arm and Cartridge. That setup so surpassed the 12D and 10 year old Concord--which suffered from severe turntable induce noise, I thought this is as quiet as a CD. I almost stopped buying CDs for many years, and scooped up a lot used LPs, around 3000, cheap.
More than one audio-wise person (as opposed to audiophool) like myself wondered: if the mass market turntables of the 70's were half as good as the SystemdeK, would the CD have survived?
Answer: Around 1979 in Canoga Park, CA, I spoke to Kevin, the owner of Upscale Audio. Different Kevin, different Upscale Audio than the one the on that exists today. The first Upscale Audio was some separate rooms in a RogersSoundLab store.
He told me that the quality of vinyl to press new records had gotten so bad, someone from A&M Records told him they were getting up to 50% defective records. The record companies jumped on CD, with the promise of perfect sound forever. And no returns. (Even if the the CD had flaws, which because it was perfect sound forever, was impossible).
Around '74? I bought the MFSL pressing of David Bowie's Ziggy StarDust. Even with the older Pioneer set up I was hooked on striving for better sound.
Oh, forgot. It might have been Kevin the first who told me that the success of Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs at selling LPs for around 2 x the price of regular LPs convinced other people that they could sell CDs, with perfect sound forever, at a high enough price to make it worthwhile. For the first few years of CD sales they were usually priced at $24.99. There were only two CD pressing plants in the world at that time.
Sorry to rant.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2020 at 4:23 PM Post #57,907 of 151,179
Listening to Physical Graffiti on the Sol with the Lebowski mod tonight ("Caucasian" with Stoli). Let's roll, indeed.

This Sol is one fine table. Especially like it after upgrading the stylus to the ML model.

Hope all are well. (If one must shelter in place this is a palatable way to do so.)
a photo or two of your set up would be greatly appreciated by those of us still part of the socially distanced sol-less mob here :)

Mar 28, 2020 at 5:07 PM Post #57,908 of 151,179
Around 1979 in Canoga Park, CA, I spoke to Kevin, the owner of Upscale Audio. Different Kevin, different Upscale Audio than the one the on that exists today. The first Upscale Audio was some separate rooms in a RogersSoundLab store.

Hi @tin-ear,

Actually, that's exactly where today's Upscale Audio started, and Kevin Deal did work there back in the day. I don't know if there was more than one Kevin, I normally bought from Mike Harvey back then. Mike went on to work for Audio Research after he left RSL/Upscale Audio.

I bought my Nitty Gritty RCM, Audio Research SP12RM, Moscode 300, Alchemist 1A, and Acoustat 1+1's from them at the Canoga Park store. I still have the Nitty Gritty RCM and the Moscode. I bought the Nitty Gritty in 1986, and it's still going strong!

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2020 at 5:32 PM Post #57,909 of 151,179

Welcome. I'm also in the Pacific NW, and I ordered a pair of LRS's a month ago. I have one Vidar amp and have been debating getting another. Schiit doesn't rate the amp for monoblocks into 4 ohms. It's good to know they are working well for you with the speakers I'm getting. Since I've not decided on one or two Vidars, I've also not decided on a preamp. For now I'm using a Vali 2, but am constantly debating with myself between the two Sagas and two Freyas.

Mar 28, 2020 at 6:02 PM Post #57,910 of 151,179
Welcome. I'm also in the Pacific NW, and I ordered a pair of LRS's a month ago. I have one Vidar amp and have been debating getting another. Schiit doesn't rate the amp for monoblocks into 4 ohms. It's good to know they are working well for you with the speakers I'm getting. Since I've not decided on one or two Vidars, I've also not decided on a preamp. For now I'm using a Vali 2, but am constantly debating with myself between the two Sagas and two Freyas.

vidar is rated 200 watts per channel into 4 ohms, that's a lot of power. running in monoblock mode into a 4 ohm load will overheat it or trip the protection circuits if pushed too hard. dropping the load resistance (ohms) by half makes the amp work 3 to 4 times harder. my $0.02: use a single vidar, save your money, save your hearing.

Mar 28, 2020 at 6:10 PM Post #57,911 of 151,179
I'm running mono Vidars w/ Harbeth P3 40th's. They are 6 ohms & sensitivity of 83.5dB. This combo works great.

Mar 28, 2020 at 6:48 PM Post #57,912 of 151,179
I'm listening at similar levels on my LRSs to my B&W setup for over a week in a 320 sq ft room and works great for me. Since you have a Vidar I would agree starting there is good. I didn't have one to begin with so went the path I'd heard from others that had worked for them with a dual setup. For Schiit to put a 4 ohm rating on it they would need to have confidence that it would work in numerous applications. But it appears to be working in a number of people's setups. Just installed the Magna Riser Airborne stands. (Amazing job Robert does with communication, packaging and a beautiful product) Listening to some Brad Mehldau - Mon chien Stupide and sounding mighty fine! Good luck in your journey.

Mar 28, 2020 at 7:22 PM Post #57,913 of 151,179
I just had to say this. Ive heard a lot of things over the years about schiits customer service being not great. I have more than a couple interactions with them and every one has been great and my emails were always answered promptly. Usually just a question here and there about a product. Last year I had an eitr that the usb chip blew on, I emailed support we went though the troubleshooting and determined that it needed to go back, well I never got a chance to send it back due to some personal stuff going on.

So about three weeks ago I finally get around to sending it back, again I email, get a new RMA number and all that. I also sent in a modi multibit to have to firmware chip upgraded. This was right before all the virus stuff really got crazy. So there they are sitting at Schiit and Jason says there shutting down for a couple weeks, fine I dont care, be safe, take all the time you need, now Im not expecting them the be done for at least 2 or 3 weeks. Couple days later the eitrs done and in the mail. I was like great I wasn't expecting that for a while. Two days later its on my doorstep. I ask about the modi because I hadn't gotten any update since they received it, though again fully understanding why, just wanted to make sure it wasn't lost or something. We need a little more time Im told, again fine take all the time you need, I dont care. Two days later it was done, two days after that it was on my doorstep....weeks before I was expecting either of them.

So to Schiit I say thanks, you didn't have to do that, I would have understood, I would not have been mad at all if it took you two weeks to get to these.

I just wanted to post about an exceptional customer service experience because, one they deserve the praise on this one and it seems people are all to eager to go out and post about a bad experience but not nearly enough people talk about the good ones.

Mar 28, 2020 at 9:13 PM Post #57,914 of 151,179
I've always had good experiences with schiit audio. They seem to always go out of their way at least from my experiences and a few peoples I actually know in RL.

Is there a shutdown at the schiit factory ? I've been itching to buy a bifrost 2. I've been holding off because of obvious economic weirdness. I'm still working as I'm essential. I feel a DAC upgrade as essential then :)

Mar 28, 2020 at 9:29 PM Post #57,915 of 151,179

What speakers do you have? Vidar is definitely more forgiving with 4 ohm mono than Aegir is! I have been running 4 ohm mono with my 3 (down to 2 now, I moved the 3rd to my office system) Vidar since they were released, the only time I have ever run into shutdown (over-current, not thermal) was on my center channel with it bumped up well above THX reference levels during intense battle scenes like in Dunkirk I had it shutdown once, and again in one of the Transformer movies. On the mains in my 2 channel system I've never had them shutdown even when pushing them as hard as I could. Just for reference, the single Vidar I have in my office system does everything I need and then some it'll play louder than I want to listen at, so I definitely don't need 2 in there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back