Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 5, 2020 at 10:51 PM Post #57,286 of 150,240
Not a good time to take the cruise my wife has been talking about.
Is it ever the time to take a cruise? Even without SARS-CoV-2, cruise ships seem to be a very expensive way of spreading infectious disease among a vulnerable population...

Mar 5, 2020 at 10:51 PM Post #57,287 of 150,240
Well, I didn't say "100% of the time" and don't think that so I'm afraid you're putting words in my mouth a little bit here. I said there is a *tendency* to want to place ourselves in one lane or the other, and you can see this behavior readily in the way people argue about things like cables and burn-in. They are very much Red vs. Blue arguments. It's also pretty rare to see somebody changes sides on these issues once they have formed their initial opinion.

I wasn't trying to put words in your mouth, I was trying to agree with you. Apparently unsuccessfully. To continue with what you wrote above, what I meant was, even if we're trying to put ourselves in one lane, we may drift into another lane whether we intend to or not. Back to my example: even if I'm trying to listen critically to compare a couple pieces of gear, I may find myself "just listening" sometimes.

Mar 5, 2020 at 11:37 PM Post #57,288 of 150,240
The one time I went on a cruise, I was incredibly sick for the first 4 of 7 days. So there's that. I'm not prone to get sick. Allergies, yes, sick-sick, nah.

Not something I'd like to repeat any time soon.

Mar 6, 2020 at 12:35 AM Post #57,289 of 150,240
I usually get sick for a day or two after a cruise, but they are one-day cruises to Stockholm or Tallinn, and contain a ton of alcohol. Haven’t been on a proper booze-cruise since early student years, although I have one work related cruise coming up in a month.

Regarding the corona virus, I thought Americans couldn’t catch it. And if they did, sometimes the virus just disappears.

Mar 6, 2020 at 2:15 AM Post #57,291 of 150,240
I usually get sick for a day or two after a cruise, but they are one-day cruises to Stockholm or Tallinn, and contain a ton of alcohol. Haven’t been on a proper booze-cruise since early student years, although I have one work related cruise coming up in a month.

Regarding the corona virus, I thought Americans couldn’t catch it. And if they did, sometimes the virus just disappears.

Only if you believe a certain loud mouth.... My god, Eureka! who needs facts, meds, or anything based in reason when you have that strong of a placebo effect... SMH..... God help us all.....

Thank the Lord for music and my Schiit gear to distract me from the insanity....

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2020 at 4:57 AM Post #57,292 of 150,240
If you're less than 50 you don't really have to sweat Covid-19 any more than the flu, but of course use all recommended precautions. If you over 50 (decades in my case) it is a big problem. Overall mortality maybe 3.4% but it's mostly us old guys. Take a look at this Coronavirus Age, Sex, Demographics (COVID-19) - Worldometer

I'm glad I just bought a Bifrost II MB. I may have to buy more Schiit before it's too late. Not a good time to take the cruise my wife has been talking about.

Thank you for that link. (I think. According that, I'm doomed.)
However, epidemics change and morph over time. Those numbers will almost certainly change, and with absolute certainty go down. (There is a finite number of people to infect). It may become more or less virulent (infectious). It might peter out or linger. In the meantime, assuming you can recognize sane recommendations, those are the ones to follow.

Mar 6, 2020 at 6:36 AM Post #57,293 of 150,240
Sorry, but do you understand exponentials? With 97k current cases, an estimated doubling rate of 6-7 days and a CFR of 2%, if we don't take major containment measures, in 3 months we'll have around 400M cases worldwide and 8M deaths. None of the other pathogens you mention are at all like this. Flu is less infectious and less deadly than this, in part because most older people have antibodies against various flu strains that work somewhat against even new ones. Legionnaires is bacterial, there are effective antibiotics. TL; DR Don't panic, but neither be a fool.
the thing is that even though absolute more people die of flu (so far) it concerns 10-15% of the population and Coronavirus is new for all of us, so it concerns 100% of the population thus potentially more dangerous. Better be careful and stay put within reason than be sorry. We should not let people decide for themselves as an individual it is impossible to judge the situation. I very much like a balanced and responsible approach that considers day by day information. Not easy but if cases come slow we can handle, an explosion of cases is a problem never dealt with. Yes panic is for fools but (take) care

Mar 6, 2020 at 8:26 AM Post #57,294 of 150,240
Saga + owners, is it normal for there to be an audible pop from your speakers when you either mute/unmute or switch between the active and passive stages? This is REALLY noticeable at lower volumes.
[/QUO
Hmmm, I paused my player and tried and I don't get any pops on volume, just when I mute/unmute or switch between active/passive.

Interesting, I haven't noticed this, however I generally stick to 2 or 3 threads and they have their own tabs...

My original Saga does this ... in the same situations you mentioned: switching from active/passive, or mute/unmute.
Most noticeable when no signal, and typically does not do so when changing volume.
It doesn't do it 100% of the time even in the above situations, but is noticeable when it does.

I contacted Schiit support years ago to ask about it, and they kindly offered for me to send it in if I felt so inclined.
I didn't because I wasn't really worried, just curious.
It hasn't caused any issues over the years, so I just consider it an idiosyncrasy.

EDIT: As mentioned earlier, the soothing click of the relays is significantly louder.

EDIT2: Just to throw it out there ... I've read about people who've supposedly returned their Saga/Freya over the clicking relays. My mechanical keyboard with Cherry MX Blues is louder than the Saga's relays. I quite like the sound of the relays, and my MX Blues ... I don't get it.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2020 at 8:42 AM Post #57,295 of 150,240
My OG saga does the same thing. It's pretty annoying.

I also get audible speaker popping from OG saga when changing the volume with nothing playing. Also annoying.

Am I supposed to get buzz in the speakers when I touch the tube?

I have never experienced the described buzzing with my Saga over the past 3 years. I tube roll quite a bit and make accidental contact with the tube sometimes ... but at ~180F ... I'm surprised you you can hear anything over yelps of pain!!! Not as bad has having the skin vaporized by EL84s/KT120s though!

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2020 at 9:24 AM Post #57,296 of 150,240
I have never experienced that with my Saga over the past 3 years. I tube roll quite a bit and make accidental contact with the tube sometimes ... but at ~180F ... I'm surprised you you can hear anything over yelps of pain!!! Not as bad has having the skin vaporized by EL84s/KT120s ... but how are you touching your tube without screaming in pain?

Yeah, it stings for sure. I should say that I bumped it while fiddling with RCA cables in the back. It burnt my forearm, but then I noticed the hum, so I put my finger on the side, and the buzz was very loud. Sounded like 60hz hum/buzz.

I guess I'll have to do some investigating and contact Schiit if something seems amiss.

Mar 6, 2020 at 9:52 AM Post #57,297 of 150,240
My original Saga does this ... in the same situations you mentioned: switching from active/passive, or mute/unmute.
Most noticeable when no signal, and typically does not do so when changing volume.
It doesn't do it 100% of the time even in the above situations, but is noticeable when it does.

I contacted Schiit support years ago to ask about it, and they kindly offered for me to send it in if I felt so inclined.
I didn't because I wasn't really worried, just curious.
It hasn't caused any issues over the years, so I just consider it an idiosyncrasy.

EDIT: As mentioned earlier, the soothing click of the relays is significantly louder.

EDIT2: Just to throw it out there ... I've read about people who've supposedly returned their Saga/Freya over the clicking relays. My mechanical keyboard with Cherry MX Blues is louder than the Saga's relays. I quite like the sound of the relays, and my MX Blues ... I don't get it.

I had e-mailed Schiit before I posted in the thread (like I always do when I have a Schiit issue) they stated it was normal and not to worry... I'm not really worried as much as it's annoying and awful sounding...

Mar 6, 2020 at 10:35 AM Post #57,298 of 150,240
Yeah, it stings for sure. I should say that I bumped it while fiddling with RCA cables in the back. It burnt my forearm, but then I noticed the hum, so I put my finger on the side, and the buzz was very loud. Sounded like 60hz hum/buzz.

I guess I'll have to do some investigating and contact Schiit if something seems amiss.

Ahhh gotcha, hahaha my forearms, palms, fingers, and especially the back of my hand have all been victim to tube gear. The EL84s have been the worst, literally instantly vaporization and a nice burn spot for a week every dang time. Any chance making contact unseated the tube a little bit?

I had e-mailed Schiit before I posted in the thread (like I always do when I have a Schiit issue) they stated it was normal and not to worry... I'm not really worried as much as it's annoying and awful sounding...

I concur, it's not pleasant for sure and in my experience was most noticeable on higher sensitivity speakers, and when running in front of an integrated amplifier. Right now I'm running the Saga with an Aegir and Klipsch RP600/RP160 and it's significantly lest noticeable than with my previous configurations.

Mar 6, 2020 at 11:08 AM Post #57,299 of 150,240
Pascal Roge is my favorite classical pianist. His Debussy & Poulenc can't be beaten IMO.
Couldn’t agree more, but I’ve never heard his Poulenc. Starting the search, thanks for the tip. Was watching New Amsterdam a week or 2 ago, and they used part of Suite Bergamasque in a very moving scene. One of my favourite pieces.

Mar 6, 2020 at 11:23 AM Post #57,300 of 150,240
Don't be ridiculous. The elderly and children are more likely to die from things that most of us will recover from. The point I was making was that the media isn't giving us the whole story in order to sensationalize their "news" and drive the generally gullible public into a near panic. Also, I agree with taking reasonable precautions and not being lackadaisical about this, but also don't sequester yourself in your home for fear of contracting it.

Actually one of the more unusual things about covid-19 is that it doesn't seem to be as dangerous for children. The info is a week old, but I recall reading that there have been zero child deaths related to the illness so far. That's not to suggest that any light should be made of a serious situation, but a silver lining is a still a silver lining.

The chances of death seem to scale with age on this one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back