Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 18, 2019 at 1:03 PM Post #49,441 of 149,271
So I have an interesting story to share. .
KLH was one of the pioneers of hifi audio. I have not yet heard anything from the "New KLH" although I do know they use the same Chinese fabrication facility as several other mainstream brands, so the build quality is likely good. My advice is to listen to what you enjoy the most. :)

Aug 18, 2019 at 1:23 PM Post #49,442 of 149,271
I moved to a a house with a very different layout and as a result I have also been changing my audio setups in a big way (see sig). I'm all set for the main room speaker system, and for headphone systems (well, not quite, I have too many headphone amps, gotta shed some). Anyway, I'm now starting to look for a smaller speaker system for a smaller office/library room in the new house. I'm tempted by the Aegir for the power amp section, but I don't know much about high efficiency speakers. Room constraints would favor relatively small floor standers that work well close to the front wall. There's enough space for dual mono Aegirs if that's what it takes. As for preamp, will have to think a bit. Sources will be an Oppo BDP-103 (there will be a screen in the room) and a good DAC (either the Metrum Onyx I have around, or a Schiit DAC if I decide to replace the Onyx). I'm not in a hurry. Suggestions very welcome.
What would be your budget? Active speakers an option?

Aug 18, 2019 at 2:45 PM Post #49,443 of 149,271
I don't actually remember how I first stumbled across Schiit but I remember browsing through the DACs on the website and being amused by the FAQ sections, I think it was before Yggdrasil launched.

But what got my attention was the announcement for their entrance into 2-channel. I couldn't believe how well the Saga, Freya and Vidar were going to be priced and I ended up finding this thread, reading the book and I've stuck around ever since.

Aug 18, 2019 at 3:30 PM Post #49,444 of 149,271
So I have an interesting story to share...

Based on your initial dealings with Sean and Zu I'm a little surprised by your crisis of conscience. Good for you for doing the right thing. I've not heard either speaker but, based on reviews, I doubt you'll be unhappy with either selection.

Aug 18, 2019 at 4:29 PM Post #49,445 of 149,271
Correct—the USA sales tax law changes won’t affect any export prices.

For those of you in other countries shaking their heads and saying, “I don’t get this crazy ‘sales tax’ thing, and you US peeps are a pain in the rear because your prices in stores don’t include the taxes like we do with VAT,” here’s how the taxation system works:

1. The federal government sets a federal income tax rate. There are also some federal excise taxes, such as on fuel. This applies to everyone living in the USA.
2. THEN, the states ALSO get you for a variety of taxes:
A. Their own income tax. Some states have this, some states don’t. Rates vary,
B. Sales tax. This is like a state VAT. Again, some states have this, some don’t, and rates vary. What makes this worse is that counties and cities can add on to these sales taxes as well, so the sales tax rate can vary within the state. That’s why we end up with thousands of sales tax rates.
C. Property tax. States also typically charge a property tax on real estate that ranges from 0.5%-3% per year (could be higher, could be lower.)
D. Gas tax. States can also apply their own fuel taxes on top of the federal excise tax.
Now, there’s probably tons of stuff I missed, and honestly, it’s more interesting reading about how you found Schiit, and how you turned your friends on to Schiit, but I figured I’d clarify.

The good news for people buying from outside the USA is that none of the sales taxes are baked into the price (like a VAT), so you don’t have to try to claw it back. Nor are the prices changing due to the change in Federal law here in the US.

Great explanation ! Thank-you for taking the time !

Aug 18, 2019 at 4:39 PM Post #49,446 of 149,271
My (boring ?) route to Schiit ... I was outgrowing the AUNE X1S DAC/AMP that I started with a few years ago and Schiit simply popped up on my web research early on ... I was just going to move up to the next step, in my view at the time (BiFrost & Asgard or LYR 2), but ended taking a much bigger leap to Gungnir MB and initially LYR 2 but soon after got the Mjolnir 2. A great move !! Been with that combo ever since, although LYR 2 still gives good service in my office system ... a great little amp with the right tubes. Looking forward to hearing about whatever new comes along in the head-fi line.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2019 at 6:10 PM Post #49,447 of 149,271
KLH was one of the pioneers of hifi audio. I have not yet heard anything from the "New KLH" although I do know they use the same Chinese fabrication facility as several other mainstream brands, so the build quality is likely good. My advice is to listen to what you enjoy the most. :)

I was impressed. Some folks on here can attest that I wouldn't shut up for a few days as to the things I was hearing from the KLHs, build quality is also very nice. Actual oak veneer. Magnetic grills, with felt covering the magnets to not scratch the surface, and the magnetic connection points are hidden underneath the veneer. The only thing I don't like is on the binding posts. I wish the nut they use on the binding posts was heavier & wider/larger. Hard for large spades to bite down.

Based on your initial dealings with Sean and Zu I'm a little surprised by your crisis of conscience. Good for you for doing the right thing. I've not heard either speaker but, based on reviews, I doubt you'll be unhappy with either selection.

First time I've ever been in such a situation. Didn't know what to expect from the manufacturer, regardless of how great they were in previous interactions. New territory for me. From what I've read, the FTC and state law seems to suggest I can/could keep them. But what the law allows and what is right aren't always the same thing. My only real crisis was whether to open and listen without calling first. As mentioned I had really wanted to hear these and I'm not perfect but I was always going to call. I was hoping Sean would say listen to em for a week or two. To give me until the end of October was very gracious and unexpected.

Aug 18, 2019 at 7:04 PM Post #49,448 of 149,271
Then a few days later I checked a charge account bill from the local service/gas station. I hadn't paid attention to it for awhile, and had just been paying 150-200 a month on it. Welp it was 1700, and schiit that's about what my Zu order was after walnut finish, clarity caps, a few other extras, and shipping.
I'm confused about the relationship between your local gas station and ordering speakers. Did you simply mean that you have a rewards credit card issued by an oil company and you used it for payment?

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2019 at 7:06 PM Post #49,449 of 149,271
Rensek - re: the Zu's: try raising them up higher and tilt slightly towards the ceiling, I feel they sound better this way. I got long threaded bolts (to tilt) to replace the foot options provided as well as placing them on an ultra low-tech platform to raise my Zu's about a foot where the tweeter is ear levelish when I'm sitting down. I really have enjoyed mine, hope you do too.

Aug 18, 2019 at 7:42 PM Post #49,450 of 149,271
I'm confused about the relationship between your local gas station and ordering speakers. Did you simply mean that you have a rewards credit card issued by an oil company and you used it for payment?

Small town America. I buy gasoline, diesel fuel oil, and service my vehicles with one local company. My account with that company had a balance owed of about 1700 dollars. I paid that bill instead of buying the Zu.

Sorry, I'm an overexplainer. I maybe should have just indicated I got a bill I wasn't expecting and paid that instead.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2019 at 7:54 PM Post #49,451 of 149,271
Rensek - re: the Zu's: try raising them up higher and tilt slightly towards the ceiling, I feel they sound better this way. I got long threaded bolts (to tilt) to replace the foot options provided as well as placing them on an ultra low-tech platform to raise my Zu's about a foot where the tweeter is ear levelish when I'm sitting down. I really have enjoyed mine, hope you do too.

Thanks for the idea, I will see how it goes. When I start working on my listening room I am considering building shelving platforms for whichever speakers I end up with, as a part of the rack/entertainment center.

So far the Zu's have been awesome.

Aug 19, 2019 at 1:02 AM Post #49,452 of 149,271
What would be your budget? Active speakers an option?
Well, my "budget" has already been well broken by Linn, Today I heard their Kiko system, which is ridiculously good for something so small. Those crafty Scots will be picking my pocket once again, I fear. The positive side is that the local Linn dealer has been incredibly helpful with the networking nightmare that is my new house. (Why, oh why would people do a major renovation in 2011 to a house built in 1994 and not 1) run conduit for all the new wiring; 2) run cat 5 everywhere. End result: repurposed all the plentiful "cable" coax within the house to MoCA Ethernet, and put the cable modem, router, and MoCA source together where the cable comes into the house). Anyway, one added advantage of Kiko is that it can be conjoined with the big Klimax system in the main room, so we can walk through the house and have the music follow us. Pricey, I know, but when you are dealing with Northern California real estate... I'll keep Schiit for the headphone system(s), which are my work-time addiction.

Aug 19, 2019 at 9:07 AM Post #49,453 of 149,271
So I have an interesting story to share. Well interesting to me at least. I mentioned awhile back that I planned on ordering Zu Omen dirty weekends to go with my Vidar, saga, modi multibit Schiit setup....

You seem to like the sonics of both of them approx equally? In that case it's a no-brainer...the Zu is a unique design, popular, an instant classic that will still be known and have value in 20 years. It's much more interesting visually. AND you have a great relationship with Sean.

Pretty easy choice IMHO :)

Aug 19, 2019 at 10:38 AM Post #49,455 of 149,271
(Why, oh why would people do a major renovation in 2011 to a house built in 1994 and not 1) run conduit for all the new wiring; 2) run cat 5 everywhere. End result: repurposed all the plentiful "cable" coax within the house to MoCA Ethernet, and put the cable modem, router, and MoCA source together where the cable comes into the house). Anyway, one added advantage of Kiko is that it can be conjoined with the big Klimax system in the main room, so we can walk through the house and have the music follow us. Pricey, I know, but when you are dealing with Northern California real estate... I'll keep Schiit for the headphone system(s), which are my work-time addiction.

Our house is not yet 4 years old, was the gold medal house in the local parade of homes, and yet the cabling is a nightmare. I still haven't found where it all is, or where it is all supposed to come together. I have had a couple of quotes that are eyewatering, so for now we are on an Eero mesh which works very well. It's only when I start moving g lots of data around that I tera my hair out.

Cheers........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back