Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 31, 2019 at 3:15 PM Post #48,766 of 151,658
A download manual sounds like a good idea but for the luv of God, please make them so they read and print out directly to 8 1/2 x 11 and fill the page.

Yes, and writing manuals (or policies and procedures which I was assigned to do on occasion during my working years) is a PITA. You can make 100 passes and make 100 corrections and still miss something, not make something clear to others, or just plain get something wrong. Being a "Technical Writer" is an occupation.
Don't farm it out. Clear, concise, coherent (and in Schiit's case, irreverent) technical writing's an art. If I had a nickle for every lousy science textbook I have to use in class.... Ick. To all technical writers AND illustrators, thanks eh. (...alright, I'm off my soapbox....)

Jul 31, 2019 at 3:22 PM Post #48,767 of 151,658
Even the Jecklin Float and the following Precide circumcranial cans weren’t the first. The Stax SR-Sigma Panoramic Earspeaker was, to my knowledge, the first design like this, and the K1000, though later, also comes to mind. The Float used the outer pinnae to direct sound but technically the forward positioning is what makes the Raal a “monitor”, so that would disqualify the Float, or else we could count Lambda Professionals with their early Thiele diffuse model based ED-1 boxes.

Having heard all of the above (as well as having owned most of them), though, I can assure you that the Raal blows them all away handily. Sigma is too dark, K1000 too diffused, Float too tizzy. Besides plasma implementation I firmly believe that the Raal is the best headphone to date, bare none. You should definitely try and hear a pair, they’re certainly bonkers~

My understanding is that they're claiming to be the first "monitor" because of the flatter response and better bass extension relative to existing open frame cans.

The Float, as you mentioned, definitely doesn't count. The Mysphere 3 is indeed a fully open frame design, and it is indeed tuned to diffused field neutral, and it did hit the market slightly earlier than the SR1a, though.

Certainly we'll have some floating around, if the mods to the current proto work out the way I expect. I'll know more today or tomorrow when the parts come in. The pacing item is a second-generation transformer prototype.

Battery? Notgonnahappen.com.

LPS? This is an AC powered product with a linear supply, and will have something like 120,000uF of filter capacitance, as well as a low-noise, dual-regulated stack supply and a super-high current main supply. We're currently doing 14.2A continuous at clipping with 2 channels driven into the Raal load, but we're shooting for more. There's no replacement for a properly designed internal power supply with a custom transformer and multiple voltage rails in this case.

I see. I was hoping for something truly portable for travel (even if it's a bit bulky). I'd definitely want to have a direct drive amp if it runs on a battery and fits into a carry-on. Alex was floating some ideas about doing an amp that will run on 12v.

Either way, very cool that you guys are doing a special amp for them - will the design still support regular headphones, though?

How do the Raal compare to the Abyss AB-1266 Phi TC Headphone? Currently that one is the Audiophiliac's reference headphone by far. Anyone whose tried both care to compare?

I have the Phi - check out my review in the signature. The TC is a step up from the Phi but ultimately, I don't think the improvements change my conclusion re: the Phi versus the SR1a.

Jul 31, 2019 at 3:36 PM Post #48,768 of 151,658
I see. I was hoping for something truly portable for travel (even if it's a bit bulky). I'd definitely want to have a direct drive amp if it runs on a battery and fits into a carry-on. Alex was floating some ideas about doing an amp that will run on 12v.

Either way, very cool that you guys are doing a special amp for them - will the design still support regular headphones, though?

To clarify: we aren't doing anything for Raal. This is not a Raal-sanctioned product. This is just us playing around.

If something comes of it, it will be specific to ribbon headphones. It will use a 4-pin male Neutrik like Raal as its sole output. It won't be for use with regular headphones. I'm not going to get into all the technical reasons why it would be a pain to make it a general-use product, because, again, this is not a Raal product, and I don't talk about other manufacturers' internal stuff.

With respect to "portable", what we're working on is one box the size of a Jotunheim that would allow a pro to connect one AC cord and one USB and not have to carry around a stack of speaker amp/DAC/preamp. Personally, I don't see how you get a battery version of something that runs several amps on musical peaks. Even something like a 10000mAH lithium cell would last for minutes in normal use. But I could be missing something.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jul 31, 2019 at 4:09 PM Post #48,769 of 151,658
I am glad you got through to the Postal service, albeit with sharpened teeth from a politician in the posterior. Most postal management need stimulus to move, and the union made them quit using cattle prods in the Mail Service Center...

More than likely they sent one of the MIB around. Do you know how many aliens work in the USPS. It's a lot

Jul 31, 2019 at 4:12 PM Post #48,770 of 151,658
@Jason Stoddard I would definitely be interested in a more AIO amp for my RAAL SR1A! Also....any hint at a time frame for tuxedoed Freya+ ? I’m waiting on that option to add to my RAAL chain. Also if not in black...what are your thoughts on a possible Purple limited run...on honestly I would almost pick up any of the items if they were purple lol.

Jul 31, 2019 at 4:15 PM Post #48,771 of 151,658
AES-EBU.jpg
@Jason Stoddard I would definitely be interested in a more AIO amp for my RAAL SR1A! Also....any hint at a time frame for tuxedoed Freya+ ? I’m waiting on that option to add to my RAAL chain. Also if not in black...what are your thoughts on a possible Purple limited run...on honestly I would almost pick up any of the items if they were purple lol.
I have come across the love of purple items as well.

Attachments

• IMG_2497.jpg
    IMG_2497.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jul 31, 2019 at 4:22 PM Post #48,772 of 151,658
Why 300Bs?

Genuinely curious, because 6AS7s would be better OTL outputs, I believe.

I've always heard the 300B referred to as the holy grail for tube amps, and the tube itself seems to be spoken (or perhaps revered) of in almost mythical terms. 300B-based amps seem to be quite expensive so a lower-cost OTL amp option to try these near-mythical beasts would be most welcome.

Jul 31, 2019 at 4:33 PM Post #48,774 of 151,658

I have come across the love of purple items as well.
My work setup....with color pop filter for only purple...getting a Cayin N6ii in soon, to potentially replace the A&K SR15.

I had the monolith THX-788 with a purple film filter over the led (opened up and placed on inside, much cleaner looking that way) but honestly would rather be more “portable” while at work with my audio.

180F6989-68C1-4866-A968-06A03E0E9AEE.jpeg

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2019 at 4:37 PM Post #48,775 of 151,658
My work setup....with color pop filter for only purple...getting a Cayin N6ii in soon, to potentially replace the A&K SR15.

I had the monolith THX-788 with a purple film filter over the led (opened up and placed on inside, much cleaner looking that way) but honestly would rather be more “portable” while at work with my audio.

Sadly I must admit that the cable I showed is certainly being out-purpled by your headphone cable.:L3000:

And yes this cable was a gift to PCT but others like the color as well.

Jul 31, 2019 at 4:57 PM Post #48,776 of 151,658
Why 300Bs?

Genuinely curious, because 6AS7s would be better OTL outputs, I believe.

Now, if we're talking about a transformer-coupled amp, that's something we have no expertise in...

OK. We'll take one of each! Problem solved!

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2019 at 5:00 PM Post #48,777 of 151,658
A download manual sounds like a good idea but for the luv of God, please make them so they read and print out directly to 8 1/2 x 11 and fill the page.

Yes, and writing manuals (or policies and procedures which I was assigned to do on occasion during my working years) is a PITA. You can make 100 passes and make 100 corrections and still miss something, not make something clear to others, or just plain get something wrong. Being a "Technical Writer" is an occupation.

I have a couple of good friends that are Technical Writers by trade. I thought I’d like to dip into it (they were paid $80/hr.) until I realized what they did for a living was why they were both professional alcoholics.

Jul 31, 2019 at 5:02 PM Post #48,778 of 151,658
I have a couple of good friends that are Technical Writers by trade. I thought I’d like to dip into it (they were paid $80/hr.) until I realized what they did for a living was why they were both professional alcoholics.

Definitely not a good career path for the OCD type A.

Jul 31, 2019 at 5:04 PM Post #48,779 of 151,658
It’s a stated 0.2 ohm load. Plus there’s some open baffle compensation going on, so yeah...challenging. It’s sold with a resistor/inductor interface box that’s intended to connect to a speaker amplifier.

Reminds me of my Wharfdale Isodynamics. I drove them directly from the outputs of a Quad 405 - 100W of “Current dumping” power... you really couldn’t run them from the headphone jack on a typical receiver of the time. They sounded great with enough power!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back