Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 26, 2019 at 3:53 PM Post #46,817 of 150,908
So... I guess Audiohead's 'Thunerdome' article should now be referred to as 'Blunderdome'? :D

May 26, 2019 at 4:14 PM Post #46,819 of 150,908
May 26, 2019 at 7:27 PM Post #46,822 of 150,908
I wish for a good preamp with EQ and balanced input/output

May 26, 2019 at 10:42 PM Post #46,823 of 150,908
Ok, since we are in the wishing wavelength, my list would be a preamp with:

- A motorized volume pot so there's no discrepancy when changing the volume from the remote.
- Tubes that remain 100% off (saving their lifespan) when the preamp is in passive mode.
- Balance control <-- personally I don't really care for it, but once I met a guy who had hearing problems only in one ear and he commented how grateful he felt when listening music with gears that allow to play with the balance.
- Front power switch (just asking cause it's already a tradition in the thread :D)

May 27, 2019 at 10:51 AM Post #46,826 of 150,908
My wishlist would be a solid state nexus preamp with home theater bypass. I live in an apartment and don't have space for separate HT and 2-channel set-ups, so HT bypass is a must. Room for two modules would be nice also.
When Freya came out Jason was very against home theater bypass. (Very against it). His concern being that some bobo (my words not his) would hook up a nonvolume controlled source up to and blow their speakers/system.

May 27, 2019 at 12:07 PM Post #46,827 of 150,908
Welcome to the thread! Long time first time it appears.

Thanks - I've been lurking a long time.

When Freya came out Jason was very against home theater bypass. (Very against it). His concern being that some bobo (my words not his) would hook up a nonvolume controlled source up to and blow their speakers/system.

Well, if that's that case, no sale. Lack of bypass inputs is one of the main reasons I haven't picked up the Freya. Jason's stance is odd considering bypass inputs are a standard feature on most dealer-distributed brands, and dealers would scream if they were inundated with returns and claims for damaged equipment. Seems like Jason's concern could be obviated legally with some warning language in the manual and above the bypass inputs and--perhaps--some 30 cent rubber caps to cover the bypass inputs.

May 27, 2019 at 12:22 PM Post #46,828 of 150,908
I'm a big believer in keeping my two-channel system separate from my home theater system. you canbuy a cheap but good set of front speakers for your home theater system, for instance - get a couple of Miccas for a hundred bucks or so and you should be good to go. The front channels for home theater don't produce a lot of information anyway most of the information is coming from your center channel. Focus home theater budget on center channel and sub. Easy peasy and don't need to worry about mangling your two-channel music system

May 27, 2019 at 12:50 PM Post #46,830 of 150,908
Thanks - I've been lurking a long time.

Well, if that's that case, no sale. Lack of bypass inputs is one of the main reasons I haven't picked up the Freya. Jason's stance is odd considering bypass inputs are a standard feature on most dealer-distributed brands, and dealers would scream if they were inundated with returns and claims for damaged equipment. Seems like Jason's concern could be obviated legally with some warning language in the manual and above the bypass inputs and--perhaps--some 30 cent rubber caps to cover the bypass inputs.

There is a similar situation with the Audio-gd R2R-11. In order to use the "fixed" setting, you must remove the top lid, and physically move a jumper over. The reasoning was that if "fixed" was an option without jumping through hoops, someone might blow out their ears with headphones.

Seems like a simple issue which required an elaborate workaround, and maybe Jason wanted to avoid a similar situation.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back