Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 22, 2019 at 10:39 AM Post #44,191 of 150,610
Eitr is being discontinued? Wow... that makes me sad actually. It's easily the best source I've ever heard. It made such a breathtaking difference fixing the USB from my laptop, I went from disliking the HD800 for being dry and lifeless to loving the HD800 for being full of liveliness and energy. I would totally have taken the plunge on a newer version as well... my laptop's USB needs all the help it can get. RIP.

Feb 22, 2019 at 10:55 AM Post #44,192 of 150,610
So Schiit will be waiting (or tentatively waiting) for end of life of Windows 7 before they release Unison.

But, if audiophiles can spent lots of $$$ on gears (like expensive cables and such) surely they wont mind spending a few bucks to get Windows 10.

So why wait?

At least for me, it's not about the price of W10. It's ALL about the very high probability that installing a new OS will completely break a fully functional computer system! I don't care one iota about people saying it's a transparent conversion. It's along the lines of people saying you don't need to worry about getting USB things to work, they just do. Sorry, that's a fallacy. I will eventually take the plunge, seeing as I already have the software, but I'm going to absolutely dread it!:triportsad:

Feb 22, 2019 at 10:56 AM Post #44,193 of 150,610
I feel bad doing this, since the thread has mostly stayed on topic the last few days, but at the risk of loosening up people's ignore buttons, here goes...

While probably the least three-dimensional character on the show, I find he is often one of the most quotable.

Obligatory musical link:
*snip*
You can't forget his love of Mudder's Milk either!

Feb 22, 2019 at 11:22 AM Post #44,195 of 150,610
I read with interest the Windows 7 vs. Windows 10 discussions and all this talk of forcing drivers...

For Audiophile music playback from a files based library, I really enjoy the utter simplicity of Linux.

Audacious music player, a keyboard, mouse and monitor (or "old school") as I have yet to get ANY headless OS to work as advertised on the RasPi...(Volumio and the rest just didn't see my external drives, and some would never boot past a CLI command line--with no web-interface.)

I am not a geek or nerd, just an Audiophile with 4TB that works just fine in Ubuntu...

Feb 22, 2019 at 11:57 AM Post #44,196 of 150,610
When MS stops non-enterprise Windows 7 support (next year [linked to a How To Geek article... FYI, eh]), I'm switching my elderly gear to Mint (a version of Linux). Let's see how well Schiit's EITR plays with it. Meh, my work machines are chrome-books anyway (and my employer's doubled-down on Google-Apps-For-Education).
My Yggy with USB Gen 5 worked out of the box on all Linux distros I've tried it on. No glitches, no dropouts and for some reason sounds better than on Windows.

I read with interest the Windows 7 vs. Windows 10 discussions and all this talk of forcing drivers...

For Audiophile music playback from a files based library, I really enjoy the utter simplicity of Linux.

Audacious music player, a keyboard, mouse and monitor (or "old school") as I have yet to get ANY headless OS to work as advertised on the RasPi...(Volumio and the rest just didn't see my external drives, and some would never boot past a CLI command line--with no web-interface.)

I am not a geek or nerd, just an Audiophile with 4TB that works just fine in Ubuntu...

That's not a Linux issue, that's an RPI issue. All USB ports (and the Ethernet port) share one USB 2.0 bus to the CPU. Making it work with any usb storage is a serious pain in the butt. Try using network storage (if possible), should work out of the box.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2019 at 12:14 PM Post #44,197 of 150,610
My problem with W10 is it doesn't offer me anything extra to balance out the expense, aggravation, and breaking of other software and equipment I own. The only reason for changing is because it is beneficial to Microsoft.

Unfortunately it appears I will have to move to 10. About 2 weeks ago my W7 laptop got an update from Windows. Now it is useless. Cost too much to repair. Ran into 2 other people, on a different Head-Fi forum, with the same update results. Now I'm replacing the lappy with a new one. Like glass companies drumming up extra business with bricks. Thankfully my W7 desktop photo computer is never hooked to the internet.

Feb 22, 2019 at 12:30 PM Post #44,198 of 150,610
I’d love to see them put the Rag2 topology into the Vidar/Aegir case as a separate product. Rag 2 isn’t what I’m looking for. I don’t listen to headphones enough to justify the extra cost and I’m skeptical the smaller form factor Multibit card can keep up with the bigger DACs like Bifrost and Gungir.

Recall that you don't need to install the cards if you don't want to. As a straightforward amp you can use it with any DAC you like.

Feb 22, 2019 at 12:35 PM Post #44,199 of 150,610

If you wish to continue using Ubuntu for audio, try Ubuntu Studio. I find the sound to be better. YMMV.

Feb 22, 2019 at 12:44 PM Post #44,200 of 150,610
For those of you discussing "cards" for Ragnarok, I recommend re-reading Jason's chapter. He talks about input cards (and chassis fans and remote control) and other ideas that were part of the development process and of the two versions that will not be produced, but he does not state that Ragnarok 2 will definitely have "cards." Indeed at the end he says the story of what will be in Ragnarok 2 is coming.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sch...bable-start-up.701900/page-2936#post-14791506

Feb 22, 2019 at 12:52 PM Post #44,201 of 150,610
My problem with W10 is it doesn't offer me anything extra to balance out the expense, aggravation, and breaking of other software and equipment I own. The only reason for changing is because it is beneficial to Microsoft.

Unfortunately it appears I will have to move to 10. About 2 weeks ago my W7 laptop got an update from Windows. Now it is useless. Cost too much to repair. Ran into 2 other people, on a different Head-Fi forum, with the same update results. Now I'm replacing the lappy with a new one. Like glass companies drumming up extra business with bricks. Thankfully my W7 desktop photo computer is never hooked to the internet.

I feel your pain. My system had dutifully allowed the mothership to update things as required since I bought it new 4? years ago. A couple weeks ago, after the latest update, I was notified that it failed to install any of the updates and repeated attempts were met with repeated failures. I ended up having to ignore them in order to have the box shut down and boot "normally". Just read the other day that in a couple weeks, mickeysoft is going to push another update to "fix" some security issue and if your system won't take the update, no more updates for you. Period. I'm afraid I'm going to be in this boat.

Feb 22, 2019 at 12:54 PM Post #44,202 of 150,610
For those of you discussing "cards" for Ragnarok, I recommend re-reading Jason's chapter. He talks about input cards (and chassis fans and remote control) and other ideas that were part of the development process and of the two versions that will not be produced, but he does not state that Ragnarok 2 will definitely have "cards." Indeed at the end he says the story of what will be in Ragnarok 2 is coming.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sch...bable-start-up.701900/page-2936#post-14791506

I thought the rag 2 previewed last week in NY, and on Jasons preview post had 2 card slots. Optional yes, but it appears they are coming. But hey, I've been wrong before, I will be again.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2019 at 12:58 PM Post #44,203 of 150,610
Some answers, in no particular order. I'll be going quiet today to look at Aegir boards and do some other engineer-y things.

No question that Linux is more important than Windows now--mainly due to the popularity of streamers.

So Schiit will be waiting (or tentatively waiting) for end of life of Windows 7 before they release Unison.

But, if audiophiles can spent lots of $$$ on gears (like expensive cables and such) surely they wont mind spending a few bucks to get Windows 10.

So why wait?

We aren't necessarily waiting. But intro date is still open--we're still in beta.

I am waiting on Aejir too, with Vidar as a back-up plan. I have been waiting since I cancelled my Vidar order in November after I heard about Aejir coming soon.
Jason said Aejir boards arrive next week and expects to roll out by Feb 28.
I would sit tight if I were you. Jason says Schiit's future with amps will be like Aejir, not Vidar.
For me, it is just a question whether the Aejirs can drive my speakers.
We'll find out soon.

Be careful with interpretation--I said our future is Continuity instead of Class A. Continuity is best suited for low-powered amps, because it still runs very hot. It can't be used everywhere. Vidar will never see Continuity.

Hi, so if I have a Magni 2 with a misaligned knob, is there way to get that resolved?. Minor niggle, but still if there's a way to resolve it, would be good!

Contact amy@schiit.com and be nice. Maybe she'll get you a new top.

The reason only supporting win10 is software, win10 finally added support for UAC2, while win7 just need a driver.... I would say license a driver, like the one from Thesycon, you need a driver anyway to get ASIO support.

Win7 will work just fine, even after Micro$oft discontinue support, just observe normal safety procedures, like use adblock and noscript and don't click on those emails.... If it wasn't for my CAD software I would have switched to Linux long time ago, so I will stick to Win7 until my hardware can't anymore, I'm afraid Micro$oft will change to a subscription model on the operating system too, and forcing win10 users onto it....

Actually, you don't need a driver for ASIO support--Unison USB works just fine with ASIO4All. We could write a Windows 7 driver ourselves (actually, Ivana was kinda-sorta interested in it), but it's time to move on and support only OSes that support UAC2. In our opinion, anyway.

Last edited:
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Feb 22, 2019 at 1:12 PM Post #44,204 of 150,610
I thought the rag 2 previewed last week in NY, and on Jasons preview post had 2 card slots. Optional yes, but it appears they are coming. But hey, I've been wrong before, I will be again.
That may be. I'm just pointing out what Jason posted.

Feb 22, 2019 at 1:16 PM Post #44,205 of 150,610
It's ALL about the very high probability that installing a new OS will completely break a fully functional computer system!
It's along the lines of people saying you don't need to worry about getting USB things to work, they just do. Sorry, that's a fallacy.
Take your tin hat off. The world is much better than it's in your head. The new OS's don't break computers anymore. And USB devices just work. No kidding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back