Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 17, 2018 at 1:44 AM Post #38,131 of 153,748
Re: off topic posts. At first as a new thread reader I was confused at so many topics being discussed and didn't really liked how people would veer off. But after a few months I've come to realized that this thread caters for the community as well. And I'm just relying on the links that Jason posts in the first reply of this thread to follow up on Schiit announcements.

So apologies to the old timers here (old timers meaning the guys who were active in this thread; and not by age) for (me) complaining before about the different topics here. I guess I've learned to know more about things (valuable and not) other than Schiit.

Sep 17, 2018 at 8:33 AM Post #38,134 of 153,748
When I was a kid I crawled up on our water softener brine tank.
Opened the main electrical service panel, and stuck my finger in a open fuse hole, 200 amps!
Sure the fiberglass brine tank saved me, I've had an electric personality ever since:ghost:

Sep 17, 2018 at 8:43 AM Post #38,135 of 153,748
I can't remember who it was who gave me troubleshooting advice on the left speaker crackle in my new setup. Whoever (Capt Deadpool?), thanks! It got so bad this morning that I couldn't sit back anymore. So the left column right column substitute on the Freya made no difference, but the front / back did. I now had a right speaker niggle. More front to back and it became clear that the right bank had a dud tube. One of them (the front when the right speaker had the problem) glows brighter than the other tube, so I'm suspecting that may be it. Substituting the lIsst "tubes" restores good sound - though not as warm as the Tungsols - so I have writted to Schiit support to see what they have to say. I'm not sure if tubes have any sort of warranty...... T'will be an intersting test of support policy :)

If not, it looks like $120 for 6SN7 Tung-Sol New Production Matched Quads. Or should I look for something else? I know a few of you have suggested sources, but I'm floundering a bit.

Cheers

Graham I had crackling (heard at zero-low volume, did not increase with volume and disappeared at listening levels) in my left channel of my Coaster. 1st thing to try swap your tubes left for right channel. if the crackling moves from left to right, its a bad tube. A very quick thing to try.

Reading the manual, counterintuitively the 2 right hand tubes are for differential voltage gain and the left for cathode follower output stage. So in your case move both of the back tubes forward and vice versa. If the crackling changes channels: bad tube (2 of 4 possible). Next only swap say the left hand tubes front to back. By this process you should be able to id the bad tube. You might want to put stickys on the tubes you suspect so you can keep track of them as you move them. Its like an IQ or GRE logic test.

Update on the tubes saga:

Schiit responded before 10 pacific time this morning asking me for more info. By lunctime, CA, I had a label to ship the dodgy tubes back to them.

Thanks Schiit team and @Jason Stoddard - perhaps you could train my ISP how to deal with customer serveice emails :))

Cheers

Glad this had a happy ending. :gs1000smile:

Sep 17, 2018 at 8:47 AM Post #38,136 of 153,748
Re: off topic posts. At first as a new thread reader I was confused at so many topics being discussed and didn't really liked how people would veer off. But after a few months I've come to realized that this thread caters for the community as well. And I'm just relying on the links that Jason posts in the first reply of this thread to follow up on Schiit announcements.

So apologies to the old timers here (old timers meaning the guys who were active in this thread; and not by age) for (me) complaining before about the different topics here. I guess I've learned to know more about things (valuable and not) other than Schiit.

I have learned much schiit here. :wink:

As I have said before I don't believe you can go OT in either Mikes or Jasons threads. Plenty of places at Head-fi where I attempt to be OT, and others as well. But sometimes schiit happens.

Mikes thread is titled "What a long, strange trip is been" so enough said there. I just follow Mike so if he posts something I get notified.

Jason's thread is a different animal for sure, it can go quick. I'll come home and be pages behind in half a day, but catching up is part of the fun to me. So much schiit to learn here, and The Best Audio Friends on the net IMO.

The name of this thread is "Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up"

To me this whole thread, and everyone in it is part of that story. If Jason is steering the conversation I'll gladly follow
@Jason Stoddard-Hey where's the new product announcement :p

Anyway, it all works here, if you show up bitching about off topic that's part of the story too, or whatever.

Peace, Rick

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2018 at 9:11 AM Post #38,137 of 153,748
Archimago's Musings. Start here but there's a lot more on that blog.
I appreciate the article’s format (like reading a [{an} interesting] grade 12 lab report)! :ksc75smile:

Sep 17, 2018 at 9:15 AM Post #38,138 of 153,748
Last edited:
Sep 17, 2018 at 9:17 AM Post #38,139 of 153,748
I hope @ItsAllInMyHead is doing OK, looks like they had it rough there too. I was explaining to Ms Jody (she asked me if I had ever been near a Hurricane before) that I hadn't, but had ridden out the tail end of a typhoon in the South China Sea....

Hope all is well with you and yours......

They are safe and dry, thanks. Charlotte SC didn't get anything ...

Sep 17, 2018 at 9:21 AM Post #38,140 of 153,748
Any Jack White fans here, he is certainly fostering some awesome music, as well as being awesome.
Lillie Mae's label as well

Jack White is proof that Nashville does more than just country music :)

Sep 17, 2018 at 9:27 AM Post #38,141 of 153,748
When I was a kid I crawled up on our water softener brine tank.
Opened the main electrical service panel, and stuck my finger in a open fuse hole, 200 amps!
Sure the fiberglass brine tank saved me, I've had an electric personality ever since:ghost:

WOW, yeah you definitely got lucky!

I've always been really cautious about getting shocked (got zapped by an electric fence when I was really young) I think because I've been working on high voltage automotive stuff at work so much lately that I've just gotten complacent about it. I guess this was a good reminder...

Sep 17, 2018 at 9:31 AM Post #38,142 of 153,748
Jack White is proof that Nashville does more than just country music :)

It sure didn't seem like it when I was growing up there in the early 80's! I can't even remember how many times my parents drug me to the Grand Ole Opry, of course these days I'd give anything to be able to do that with them again...

Sep 17, 2018 at 9:35 AM Post #38,143 of 153,748
WOW, yeah you definitely got lucky!

I'm not sure luck was a thing here, because then I did it again.
I should have been killed more than 9 times:scream_cat:

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2018 at 9:42 AM Post #38,144 of 153,748
Cheers.:beerchug:
When I first came to Head-Fi and saw "Headphoneus Supremus" against someone's name I thought they must be super experienced and the fount of all wisdom, :innocent:
and yet,
some didn't seem to know squat and some had some very suss ideas;
about then I realised it was only the number of posts.
whatever their quality or subject
(I found many had racked up their numbers in quizzes and such-like)
and not any kind of badge of merit,
but when I'd passed 1,000 I wanted it :persevere:

Now I are one, a Head Phoney Super Mouse.:triumph:
know squat with suss ideas
:blush:

Not only that ... now the new folks will be PMing the crap out of you, looking for objective advice on what gear to buy ... :)

Sep 17, 2018 at 9:59 AM Post #38,145 of 153,748
It sure didn't seem like it when I was growing up there in the early 80's! I can't even remember how many times my parents drug me to the Grand Ole Opry, of course these days I'd give anything to be able to do that with them again...

Yeah, the town has changed some, since then. Still, when new family come to town (the elders, not so much the millennials) most want to attend the Grand Ole Opry.
It's good to experience it, once. :)

Edit - I forgot, the new Country Music Hall of Fame is really nice, recommended for everybody!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back