Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 12, 2018 at 2:33 PM Post #36,511 of 150,554
38831493_1810956238972521_3208882912812335104_o.jpg

Who does that remind me of... hmmmmm

Aug 12, 2018 at 3:41 PM Post #36,512 of 150,554
D8997FEB-F37A-475A-AF2E-8EC33057B405.jpeg
I feel it is a little unfair to lump the Princess Bride or the Big Lebowski in with Ben Stiller and toilet-humor comedy, but I also respect people can have different tastes in movies. Not a fan of modern toilet-humor, but I find the Coen Brothers generally do good work that.
...Inconceivable...

Aug 12, 2018 at 3:49 PM Post #36,513 of 150,554
I completely agree that the original Valhalla has a wonderful synergy with high-impedance headphones. I use it with the HD 650 and I love the combo.

Regarding the gain settings I don't have any useful input other than to use the setting that sounds best to you.
...I was also getting hung up on my Magni’s gain setting. Eventually, I found myself quoting a line from Alice In Wonderland to myself, “if it feels good, doooo it”.
BTW, it’s the OTHER version of the flick. :ksc75smile:

Aug 12, 2018 at 5:24 PM Post #36,514 of 150,554
Confession, I hate Boston and Steve Miller.
Never into Boston I must say, but Steve Miller has two histories. His post 1974 output was pure pop crap intended to satisfy the desire to monetize his music. His early albums were a whole different sound. Sailor, Children of the Future, and Brave New World were in regular rotation on my turntable along with Buffalo Springfield, Moody Blues, Poco, the Stones, Beatles and others(I admit it, I'm a tad dinosaurual-ok old!). Believe or not one of the best concerts I ever attended was Steve Miller Band opening for Sly and the Family Stone. 2 radically different crowds in one concert hall-outstanding! Reminisce to this day with the guy I went with.

Aug 12, 2018 at 6:14 PM Post #36,515 of 150,554
The Outlaws were one of those band that were hot and exciting live, but their records never made it past the first playing for me.

I also thought Boston was a terrible band. They hit the scene with an exciting new sound, and a killer first album and everyone who cared about rock music paid attention, but then they quickly became old and stale as everything they did sounded the same. There are hundreds of bands in this category, in my opinion.

I once read an interesting article about "one hit wonders" like Boston. The essence of the idea is simple: an artist has years to write good material for their first album, but only a year or less to come up with comparable material for their second album. Sometimes it's the formula of the music, sometimes it's a lack of time for genuine creativity to flourish, sometimes a number of factors. The key always comes back to good songs, and you can either write them or not.

Aug 12, 2018 at 8:37 PM Post #36,518 of 150,554
After reading this thread I dug out The Astonishing this morning, and it certainly is! The music is excellent, and it sounds superb through the X-Ray CD player into Saga/Vidar, and from there to my vintage B&Ws. A little taste of high end sound without the price tag or bling.

When it first came out I had it on repeat in my truck for 6 months straight, I have a 30 - 45 minute commute each way...

Aug 12, 2018 at 9:57 PM Post #36,522 of 150,554
I once read an interesting article about "one hit wonders" like Boston.

One hit wonder? Boston isn't even a one hit album wonder. When were you born??

Aug 12, 2018 at 10:04 PM Post #36,523 of 150,554
I'm sure he meant 'The Mighty Mighty Bosstones' and not 'Boston'. :wink:

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2018 at 11:54 PM Post #36,524 of 150,554
... I have a theory on bands particularly when live. The quality of the band is inversely proportional to the number of people on stage. So four or less probably pretty good. Five on the stage wait and see. Six or more watch out. Over ten and houston we have a problem. So U2, metallica Muse, Sierra Hull and other of my favorites pass the test. YMMV ...
Muse yeah, also Cream (3) the Who (3+1) Floyd (4), the Jimi Hendrix Experience (3) and Ten Years After (4) fit in, with the Stones (4 +1) and AC/DC (4 + 1) better than wait and see etc.
I guess that makes Dire Straits (7) in "Watch out" area and Blood Sweat and Tears on the edge of "Houston we have a problem" and Santana (5 to 14) from wait and see to Houston ... :)
Many more besides, not all currently available, of course.

Seeing non-rock guitarists have been listed too, maybe some Tommy Emmanuel for something different.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back