Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 11, 2018 at 11:14 AM Post #36,451 of 151,180
First time I saw the Eagles was on the Long Run Tour in '80 I think. The intro to Those Shoes still sticks in my brain.

One of my favorite Joe Walsh moments was his (as Ed) audition for the Horndogs on the Drew Carey show. Great episode for anyone that digs guitar (and fiddle). I still laugh when I think about the guys telling Johnny Lang... "... we didn't hire you to play the guitar. We hired you to mow the lawn".

Aug 11, 2018 at 11:39 AM Post #36,452 of 151,180
Ms Jody is in CA taking the youngest to college; so I'm here unattanded testing out this weeks changes to the system.

For those Brits of a certain age, this is very meaningful and a fabulous recording: Karl Jenkins: Cantata Memoria - For the Children.

I was in tears the first time I heard it, still moves me every time.

Aug 11, 2018 at 11:46 AM Post #36,453 of 151,180
Saw this on the book of faces this morning, thought some of you might enjoy the read...

https://audiobacon.net/2018/08/11/the-audiophiles-short-list-the-best-digital-coaxial-cables/
An interesting read. I cannot talk much about cables here without running the risk of insulting some sponsors so I will just say my tastes are simpler and involve American companies like Belden or foreign companies like Mogami and Canare. I can use and try most anything made but those are companies I know and trust. YMMV

Aug 11, 2018 at 12:37 PM Post #36,454 of 151,180
An interesting read. I cannot talk much about cables here without running the risk of insulting some sponsors so I will just say my tastes are simpler and involve American companies like Belden or foreign companies like Mogami and Canare. I can use and try most anything made but those are companies I know and trust. YMMV

Yeah, any time I read an article like that, I can't help but think about Blue Jeans Cables' "Cable Articles" web page and their comments about how no broadcast or recording professionals seem to using these esoteric cables. :thinking:

Aug 11, 2018 at 1:59 PM Post #36,455 of 151,180
For those Brits of a certain age, this is very meaningful and a fabulous recording: Karl Jenkins: Cantata Memoria - For the Children.

I was in tears the first time I heard it, still moves me every time.

I'm not a Brit, but I'll give it a listen. :wink:

Aug 11, 2018 at 2:48 PM Post #36,456 of 151,180
Yeah, any time I read an article like that, I can't help but think about Blue Jeans Cables' "Cable Articles" web page and their comments about how no broadcast or recording professionals seem to using these esoteric cables. :thinking:

That is a company I certainly respect. Years ago I saw a company threaten to sue them over some RCA connectors that were similar or some such. The owner of Blue Jeans is a lawyer and the letter he blistered them with was amazing. Many companies stopped selling certain types of connectors, but not them. He as much as told them he looked forward to such litigation if they really wanted to sue lol.

My company does work for some pretty big names and quite often they are requesting specific Belden, Alpha, or West Penn cable and Amphenol or Neutrik connectors. I have personally done a lot of my own testing using some young people in a local university's music program and while they hear a difference in headphones, amps, wire and cables are another story. As the low end of the cable tested was at least oxygen free copper I have had no one yet who could consistently say one cable was audibly better than another on headphone cables.

Aug 11, 2018 at 2:54 PM Post #36,457 of 151,180
That is a company I certainly respect. Years ago I saw a company threaten to sue them over some RCA connectors that were similar or some such. The owner of Blue Jeans is a lawyer and the letter he blistered them with was amazing. Many companies stopped selling certain types of connectors, but not them. He as much as told them he looked forward to such litigation if they really wanted to sue lol.
That was Monster Cable.

Aug 11, 2018 at 2:57 PM Post #36,458 of 151,180
Aug 11, 2018 at 2:59 PM Post #36,459 of 151,180
I'm not a Brit, but I'll give it a listen. :wink:

You are not a Brit but a very humorous Texan, and in your honor here some other well educated Texans who happen to do music about that state:

Aug 11, 2018 at 3:08 PM Post #36,460 of 151,180
OK. I'll own it. :unamused:

WTH - it was funny and truer than I'll admit. :D

Attachments

• 1024px-Mike_Pence_official_portrait.jpg
    1024px-Mike_Pence_official_portrait.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Aug 11, 2018 at 3:23 PM Post #36,461 of 151,180
OK. I'll own it. :unamused:

But remember, every state has its warts :wink: ...

Yikes, I may have to move back to Illinois after that post. Presidents who were raised there include Lincoln, Grant, Reagan, and Obama.

Dan Quayle was also born in Indianapolis and the less I say about him the better.:ksc75smile:

Aug 11, 2018 at 3:24 PM Post #36,462 of 151,180
Dammit. You quoted before I deleted that. I decided I did not want to get political and tried to erase my tracks. Busted!!! :D

Aug 11, 2018 at 3:32 PM Post #36,464 of 151,180
Cool, thanks PCT.

I did see a company the other day that was using OCC copper or silver wire in their amp builds and knowing that company some (Linear Tube Audio- Microzotyl) I have a feeling they were using the real wire. Large amounts of it coming in from countries other than Japan would make me suspicious. I hope to visit them one day in Maryland but more often than not I am spending time with family members.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2018 at 5:19 PM Post #36,465 of 151,180
Dammit. You quoted before I deleted that. I decided I did not want to get political and tried to erase my tracks. Busted!!! :D

Ok I will change the subject. I just read something on Quora, and there will be many people expressing opinions about this but it involves music, not politics.

Someone asked what the best guitar solo in rock and roll history was and according to the answer the respondent gave it was Larry Carlton on the Steely Dan album, The Royal Scam, song.......Kid Charlemagne. The article claimed that Jimmy Page also called it the best rock solo ever recorded. I just listened to it again it is certainly impressive as is the list of guitar players who have recorded with Steely Dan. Let the disagreements begin!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back