Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 1, 2018 at 5:01 PM Post #35,958 of 151,395
What kind of speakers do you use?

It's a Bose 5.1 theater surround, (you know; no highs, no lows, its...), but it keeps me a good neighbor in my condo building.
It's a gorgeous fish and quite the trophy. While I am not an angler, I can appreciate the skill and effort to catch and reel-in a rather large fish. I'm pretty sure it was a fighter -- I mean it likely didn't just swim up and jump right in...

or did it?? :wink:

My younger brother, who was with me at the time shouting instructions in my ear like "don't @#~% this up" swears the fish knew it was old and dying and self-euthanized by throwing itself on my hook.
Claims he saw it all happen...75 feet down and a hundred yards back on Lake Michigan when it took the bait.

He might have been annoyed that he never could do better than his 29 pounder. He passed away in April so he won't have a chance to take back the King Salmon Fishing Championship from me. He did however, have a lot mo' better toys than me at that point in time. I do miss him.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2018 at 5:10 PM Post #35,959 of 151,395
I'm sorry about your younger brother. Sounds like a fond memory, indeed. One of many, I'm sure.

Aug 1, 2018 at 5:52 PM Post #35,961 of 151,395
  • Make it work: engineering means that it doesn’t end at “design” and “cool.” It’s not a poster, a piece of art, or a concept model from the industrial design house. It’s not a spacesuit as shown in The Orville, where you’re wearing it in full atmosphere and the biggest danger is the actor getting too hot, it’s a spacesuit where you’ll die if it doesn’t work. And this is the sting—if you aren’t interested in taking it through to the “make it work” phase, maybe best to stay on the concept art side. No shame in that.
Jason -- Great chapter! Being a retired engineer, I have often struggled with describing to someone what an engineer does. (After endless discussions with my mother about the topic, I finally told her that I just drove the train). My latest description is that an engineer is a problem solver, but others have always seemed confused with that, so the "make it work" description may be better. Some of your details and specifics are good for EE's, and do not carry over as well to my experience in mechanical design working for a large corporation, but your general suggestions are spot on. Thanks for sharing.

Aug 1, 2018 at 6:08 PM Post #35,962 of 151,395
No, the whole fish had to go to a taxidermist in Eagle River, they can't do it any other way if you want the actual fish.
At this point I wish I'd had it cast and painted, would've held up better.
Oh well, nobody that visits me really cares about my fish so...big whoop!
Is that from Eagle River Wisconsin? Went to camp there in the 60's. Use to canoe to Rhinelander if memory serves.

Aug 1, 2018 at 6:27 PM Post #35,963 of 151,395
Is that from Eagle River Wisconsin? Went to camp there in the 60's. Use to canoe to Rhinelander if memory serves.

Eagle River, Wisconsin, ya! Been through Rheinlander on the way to different walleye fishing lakes many times.over the past 35+ years.

Aug 1, 2018 at 6:31 PM Post #35,964 of 151,395
IMG_0015.jpg Back to alcohol but only for a a brief moment. I am so impressed by Zwilling-Henckels double walled glass, glasses that I ordered some beer and highball glasses. The beer glass keeps the beer nice and cold even when outside.

Aug 1, 2018 at 6:44 PM Post #35,965 of 151,395
1. Setting up a Pi-based (networked) source; the only difference in my work setup is that I have a Pi 2 Design 502DAC HAT, which is a bit hard to get (it's made in small batches when the Sun shines :wink: ) but very good. Allo.com has the comparable DigiOne HAT, which I've not used, but I have Allo's USBridge on a different, networked, streamer.
2. Installing custom piCorePlayer software for not networked, local disk use.

Happy to provide more info and building/troubleshooting advice.

Likewise I'm glad to assist anyone, just PM me. I have mine up and running now. Still haven't gotten Tidal to work yet but I've got both a usb drive (with 400Gb of music) and the same files on my Synology NAS via networked connection. I'll decide later which implementation of my files I prefer.

Aug 1, 2018 at 6:48 PM Post #35,966 of 151,395
Back to alcohol but only for a a brief moment. I am so impressed by Zwilling-Henckels double walled glass, glasses that I ordered some beer and highball glasses. The beer glass keeps the beer nice and cold even when outside.

If you need an insulated beer glass, y'all ain't drinking it fast enough. :L3000:

Aug 1, 2018 at 6:50 PM Post #35,967 of 151,395
Hey, I am conducting thermal tests, this is important semi-scientific research going on here! Odd thing is it maintains the foam all the way to the bottom of the glass. I may need to do further testing, brb with more Belgian ale.

I am getting old and senile and I want a glass that I can forget where I left it for a half hour and come back to it and the beer is as icy cold as the moment it was poured. Either that or an app like when you lose your iphone and some bigger device like an ipad that is harder to lose tells you where the iphone is. It is just dang hard to slap such a device onto a glass with beer sloshing everywhere.

Ok one caveat on these glasses, they maintain the beer foam, so if you miss-pour one and do not pour it down the side of the glass, the head remains for a very long time, I am talking foam you could rest a half dollar on and not have it sink to the bottom. I may have just made that up so hopefully none of you have one of these glasses on hand with which to test that assertion.

By the way the other glasses should be perfect for scotch, if anything like their counterparts, you can place one cube in with the scotch and it will barely diminish in size as you slowly sip the 18-21 year old nectar from Scotland.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2018 at 11:36 PM Post #35,968 of 151,395
Aug 2, 2018 at 12:06 AM Post #35,969 of 151,395
1436462635_fish_bites_girls_hand.gif

throwing_fish_net_fail.gif

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2018 at 12:25 AM Post #35,970 of 151,395
It’s not as hard as you think. Going through school, you might be put off of engineering forever. Differential equations. Matrices. Fourier transforms. Z-domain. Thermodynamics using calculus. Probabilistic systems. The reality is that you may never use any of those. You’ll use the principles behind them, absolutely. You’ll use the shortcuts that keep control systems stable, sure. But if you think engineers do differential equations every day, you’re profoundly mistaken.

First, thanks for another wonderful chapter.

Regarding the quote, yeah... that was me just prior to starting my engineering studies, I was so convinced engineers were the most badass guys/gals when it comes to maths cause for sure -in my mind- they were doing complex calculations all the time. Man, some classes were a nightmare, so many complex concepts and those damn demonstrations where you never saw a single number, only weird greek stuff. All that for nothing!!!! cause, yep... after all these years as an engineer (automation), man... in a daily basis I do so mundane calculations that's almost embarrassing; just from time to time some crappy derivative/integral, those you did during your first day at Calculus I.

I remember once I was past the math & physics courses -so I already was one of those badass math genius- I realized (talking with my teachers of the electronic courses) that if I was lucky, I would be using 1% of all that knowledge. Hell.. I even remember my teacher of the Control & Instrumentation class, since he worked at NASA designing some stuff related to solar panels for future Mars missions. We were like "But for sure at NASA you did very complicated stuff that involved heavy use of calculus, right? right?!!!!". He said "Ehmm, no, not really. NASA has a dedicated Math Engineering Department, so every time you need to do hyper complicated stuff, you send them your data and a week or so later, they send you an e-mail that says something like "Hey, this is the equation/formula that represents the model you're working on. You're welcome."

That was the day I gave up, I knew I will be using basically high school math 99% of the time (I also realized my math teachers were a bunch of weirdos who enjoyed torturing us with difficult tests just for the sake of it).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back