Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 3, 2018 at 2:56 PM Post #32,342 of 153,420
You do not need anything besides the Yggdrasil?

May 3, 2018 at 7:46 PM Post #32,347 of 153,420
It is definitely hard to argue subjective things but a double blind test tends to objectify them. This site has a wide range of people and I used to feel a bit intimidated by headphonei supremei until I realized it was just the amount of posts they had made. One of my first conversations I had on here was a question of what wire to use to hook a two hundred watt integrated amp directly to a set of headphones using speaker cable. Several people talked of soldering methods and such and I asked why you would possibly try to use that much power. The answer from two or three was, "oh those headphones need power, they are famous for it". I forget the brand but I looked them up and realized they could handle maybe 3-5 watts tops. With the rated impedance on the headphones they still had the capability of putting seventy watts through each headphone cup. Not wanting to have someone get hurt, I told the person that if they do such a thing, make sure the power is all the way down and only increase the volume very gradually. I then explained that with hooking 10 or 12 gauge wire directly to maybe 24 awg and on to what was inside the headphone itself, they had best hope the smaller wire acted as a fuse before they did themselves some damage. There are folks who impart some good information and sound science, but every now and then one gets into the pseudo-science or just plain misinformation.

I do like certain looks and tend to make cables and adapt headphones to go with certain pieces of equipment and I built one amp and associated cables because I like steampunk in sci-fi. I find it interesting to braid cables to get a certain look and there are certainly reasons gold and silver are used in electronics and they can look nice as well. Things can be fun and look good and still have a good basis for how they are designed.

I should also mention that without knowing ORT I have been using the same VU meters used in the ORTmeter. That is a very nice layout and I was certainly impressed when I saw a drawing. Once again pretty, yet functional. I would love to see photos of such a build.
Hey Paladin,

Just the segue I was looking for. Here is the latest. The power supply got much larger because I wanted complete isolation (4KV) from the line. I have a question regarding the RCA receptacles. As the are, if I simply drill a hole in the chassis, the returns will connect to the chassis. I could cut a large rectangular opening and mount them on a non-metalic panel, but that would be uglier and rectangular holes are a drag. Or I could not tie EARTH (green wire from IEC receptacle) to the chassis, but that could

1. Strikes me as very minimalistically unsafe.
2. Not doing so might cause some hum.
3. Doing so could also cause some hum.

So, I will probably earth the chassis, but I am keeping my options open. One of the recipients is in the EU so the power supply is good from 85 to 264 VAC and 50/60 Hz. But I probably cannot pre test his configuration as his equipment is high end. The other recipient I can test with identical equipment and is US. Please, you or anyone else, please offer your thoughts.

One thing I am going to do is see if single ended Schiit stuff has the shield of the RCA to chassis. I guess I will measure my Saga as wallwart powered stuff is not earthed. Or my new Black "B" stock Valhalla. Hey, I just thought of something. I could put the insulated panel inside the box! More drilling.

Here is revision 3. I have to dimension the mounting holes on the meter board still, so there will be a revision 4, then no more until I start cutting metal and sniffing rosin.

Visio-enclosure3.pdf

Attachments

• Visio-enclosure3.pdf
    394.7 KB · Views: 0
May 3, 2018 at 8:03 PM Post #32,348 of 153,420
Hey Paladin,
... I could cut a large rectangular opening and mount them on a non-metalic panel, but that would be uglier and rectangular holes are a drag. Or I could not tie EARTH (green wire from IEC receptacle) to the chassis, but that could
You can buy RCA sockets that have insulating washers, drill the hole to suit the washer
random example:
upload_2018-5-4_10-7-46.png

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Chapado...hash=item23976a523d:m:mZK8XO8g-fN91iWQneb1EQw
better view of insulating washer with this type
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/High-Qu...&hash=item33cf4789f7:g:iCgAAOSwxu5ZIpN2washer

Last edited:
May 3, 2018 at 8:12 PM Post #32,349 of 153,420
I was about to answer but Jimmers is correct in what he said. You can isolate the RCA connectors with just a hole and the proper spacers.

There is earth ground and there is signal ground. You have to be careful mixing the two as I recall. I am in the middle of a couple things but I will try to look at it closely and give you a more complete answer tomorrow. I recall some really good articles I read on grounds and shielding that I can point you towards.

I was just sent something that goes along with a steampunk build I did.

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/james-loudspeaker-steampunk-speaker

I am not going to spend $20k on these but it is tempting to build something along those lines.

Last edited:
May 3, 2018 at 8:16 PM Post #32,350 of 153,420
May 3, 2018 at 8:20 PM Post #32,351 of 153,420
You drill a large enough hole and there is a lip on the insulator that should isolate them on most I have seen. Check them with an ohmmeter to be sure.

May 3, 2018 at 8:28 PM Post #32,353 of 153,420
The insulated washers are flat. They are not grommets. So you would have to rely on the tension of the nut and threads to hold the connector centered in the oversized hole. Even with a lock washer, I think cable weight and connect disconnect cycles would drag the threads to the edge. I'll measure them tomorrow but I think the threads are connected to the shield. If not, voila. If so, my G10 internal panel will work and be invisible.
I think that if you look carefully you will find that they are not completely flat. One side should have a bevel

May 3, 2018 at 8:36 PM Post #32,355 of 153,420
Be sure and look at all of them, some are flat and some have the lip.IMG_2679 (1).JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back