Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 25, 2018 at 9:31 PM Post #31,846 of 150,820
I'm about to start building towers for my family room and they're full range, but I've built several other bookshelf size speakers which need a sub. I would certainly dig it if Schiit could incorporate a crossover into a Loki style unit.

For bookshelves absolutely. But while many towers can go down to ~40 Hz range, many of those just don't produce the impact at lower frequencies. For example, my towers with 2 6.5" woofers each can't come close to my 15" sub for kick drum. Ditto bass guitar. The system does sound good now but would be a lot better with the bass properly out of the mains, plus this would take some of the load off the Vidar when I decide to listen at concert volume.

Apr 25, 2018 at 9:40 PM Post #31,847 of 150,820
Probably a naive question, but why the need for a separate crossover with a sub? I just put the crossover adjustment on the sub to where the main speakers start to roll off.

With a x-over the low frequency signal does not go to the power amp driving the main speakers, nor are they trying to reproduce the very low frequencies that are outside of their reproduction capability. Properly set up this relieves the amp of trying to drive the lowest frequency which require the most power, thereby saving the power in the amp for the upper range, affording greater dynamic range and headroom. On the speaker side relieving the main speaker from the lowest frequencies allows the woofer(s) from having to try to reproduce frequencies they have difficulty with, which often increases articulation of the mid-bass and upper-bass/lower-midrange.

More simply put: done right it can sound better.

Apr 25, 2018 at 9:55 PM Post #31,848 of 150,820
Below that subwoofer range lies infrasound which large animals use to communicate and tigers use to freeze their prey. There was also the case of a scientist who thought he was seeing ghosts when a fan in his lab was producing 15 hertz, the resonant frequency of the human eye. You feel it more than hear it. Low frequencies also travel farther than high frequencies.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2018 at 10:23 PM Post #31,849 of 150,820
So, if you see UPS up on the site for a while, that's the reason why. We'll see if FedEx comes back or not.

That's terrible news for us Canadians. UPS is the worst way to ship across the border. I've paid UPS $80 in brokerage fees and tax for a $120 item. Fedex charges $10 for brokerage fees, plus applicable taxes, which isn't bad. USPS is usually just tax (if they remember to charge it). But Fedex was cheaper than USPS in many cases for shipping Schiit, and way faster. Hopefully you can get Fedex sorted out.

Apr 25, 2018 at 10:23 PM Post #31,850 of 150,820
There was also the case of a scientist who thought he was seeing ghosts when a fan in his lab was producing 15 hertz, the resonant frequency of the human eye.

That explains why I see dead people ...

... when my 15" M&K Goliath subwoofer is served up 'Introduction, Passacaglia and Fugue' as performed on the Organ of Truro Cathedral!!

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2018 at 10:23 PM Post #31,851 of 150,820
jason,
regarding the potential 20W class A amp. people don't understand amplifiers. yes, many here in this thread do but most people don't. personally i am fine with a 20w class A amp but i'd also know what its limitations are. the vast majority of people simply do not need a high power amplifier - they live in small spaces and probably don't listen to a lot of classical music/highly dynamic music. i think selling a lot of 20w amps would require a fair amount of education to potential purchasers...

Apr 25, 2018 at 10:35 PM Post #31,852 of 150,820
Below that subwoofer range lies infrasound which large animals use to communicate and tigers use to freeze their prey. There was also the case of a scientist who thought he was seeing ghosts when a fan in his lab was producing 15 hertz, the resonant frequency of the human eye. You feel it more than hear it. Low frequencies also travel farther than high frequencies.

And to think I was attributing it to the scotch mod...

Apr 25, 2018 at 10:41 PM Post #31,853 of 150,820
tumblr_nffioala1N1tf1zc4o1_500.gif

Apr 25, 2018 at 10:42 PM Post #31,854 of 150,820
A couple of quick comments:

1. On the active crossover, yep, I've thought about it, but I think it is WAY too niche for us. Niche is fine, built-for-the-3-people-who-really-really-really-want-it is a whole 'nother thing. Sumo did an active crossover in the era before commonly available powered subs with integrated crossovers, and it wasn't exactly a ball of fire on the sales end. I think it's gonna be 10000x worse today.

2. On FedEx/UPS/Canada, yeah, I hear you. I'd rather use FedEx, and I hope it's sorted. But the way they've treated this is making me want to Hulk out. Time to go hiking for a while and chill.

3. On Pietro's bike, I was too busy to comment, but words can't express how thrilled I am that the community pulled together for him in such an amazing way. Seriously, guys, in the end it doesn't come down to how shiny the chassis, how hot the tubes, how many bits or taps in the DAC, how perfect the provenance of the recording; value the great people in your life and spend time with them.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Apr 25, 2018 at 10:45 PM Post #31,856 of 150,820
As someone who has a networking degree and does IT for my workplace, the unrealistic expectations and incompetent users unable to follow simple instructions is what makes IT such a life-sucking profession. I'm very glad it's not my primary role.

I did IT for 20 years. When everything is running well no one knows your name. When things go poorly everyone does :)

Apr 25, 2018 at 10:57 PM Post #31,858 of 150,820
Do you also notice neither crystal radio has a power source? None needed.
RF power source.

On the low power side, my inefficient LS50 computer speakers in semi-near field only suck a fraction of a Watt at my listening levels (when source average peak close to 0dBFS)

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2018 at 10:57 PM Post #31,859 of 150,820
@Jason Stoddard some points about small amps. At 15.5 years old my 1st job was selling hi fi equipment. The store had the Pioneer double width Spec 1 & Spec 2 rack. The Spec 2 amp was ~200 watts per channel. This system was hooked to the Pioneer HPM200 Bozak clones. They were a black hole of efficiency.

One day, the Series 20 30 watt per channel class A amp (see Winders avatar) arrived. It weighed about as much as the Spec 2 amp. Boss said Pioneer manufactured it, but they were afraid the name wouldn't support highend sales in the US ( too many semi truck blow out sales). We hooked it to standard efficiency speakers (usually Celestion). The volume capability of both systems were similar. We sold as many Series 20 amps as Spec 2. Truthfully we didn't sell a lot of either. Just good solid sales. The Series 20 was $400 in late 70's money.

Small amps don't have to be niche products. The best selling amp ever is the 35w per channel Dynaco Stereo 70. Not a powerful brute. Another best selling amp was the NAD 3020. 20w per channel. The store picked up NAD to get the 3020. We sold tons of them.

Don't worry so much about specmanship. Those people will buy some class D amp, there are many. Build the best sounding small amp you can, for reasonable money. There are few available. The word will get out. Just like the Loki EQ. You could build the next NAD 3020. Something NAD wasn't able to do with their newest version. They went class D.

Often regretted not buying a Series 20 amp while working at the store. Years later I bought one from a customer I originally sold to. Also have a Pass Labs 30w Volks Amp. That caused me to build 50W Pass mono blocks.

If it is possible to build a 15-20 watt amp as class A and have a switch to reduce bias to move into class AB and more power it would be excellent. As long as Schiit continues making great sounding equipment at affordable prices, you will do well.

Apr 25, 2018 at 11:00 PM Post #31,860 of 150,820
I did IT for 20 years. When everything is running well no one knows your name. When things go poorly everyone does :)

Despite popular belief, there are still some exciting things to do in IT, just let the support folks deal with the end users... I haven't faced the actual clients/customers for years and I'm glad I don't have to anymore.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back