Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 3, 2018 at 7:11 AM Post #29,582 of 151,666
Today I published our interview with Jason Stoddard
https://www.headfonia.com/q-n-a-saturday-schiit-audio/
Maybe nothing new for you guys here though :)

I think this is new for most of us: "We have a product coming out shortly that includes both a new tube hybrid topology and a new type of output stage." Somehow, I don't think he is referring to the Coaster. In his Engineering pt2 chapter, Jason drops a couple of hints about this new "Coherence" hybrid topology, and throws in a "redacted" reference when talking about it.

I have a feeling though that there is a new Lyr 3 in the works which takes the best parts of the Vali 2 design and takes them to a new level. Could be very exciting news, especially for those of us who have recently jumped on the LCD2C bandwagon. Sign me up.

Mar 3, 2018 at 10:23 AM Post #29,583 of 151,666
Mar 3, 2018 at 10:45 AM Post #29,584 of 151,666
I was intrigued by the portable unit 'suggestion' down the line....perhaps a DAC/AMP ? Altho' that marketplace is pretty full. They would have to go some to beat the Topping NX4DSD that I recently bought.

Mar 3, 2018 at 11:06 AM Post #29,585 of 151,666
I am unconvinced about portable DAC, Amps and combinations there of. I tried the portable separate Amp thingy and found it made no difference for me other than being an inconvenience due to having to carry around the thing. Strapping it to a player is even more of a pain in the toadbutt. But that does not mean it is not fun and enjoyable for others! I can see it when you get where you are going to and can settled down and listen to music in a hotel or a room at family or friends home. I listened to music at a show via the Dragonfly Red and Black. Cool in red, black not so much. No sound quality difference for me and I have no problems driving my cheapo 'phones via my android phone or FiiO XI-II, I did not buy the red one.

I brought my DAP/Amp (both FiiO) set up to work once and got laughed at, LOL! I can not say that I blame them as it was kinda nerdy and I have a sense of humor about my self. I did not seek out a safe space in which to curl up in to my (reader's choice! LOL!) fetal/fecal position. I would not be allowed to use it while driving a fork lift but during lunch I do not enjoy watching TV and so I listen to music. Now I just bring either the DAP or my el cheapo android phone to lunch and a pair of 'phones. Schiit seems to know their schiit and have doubt less researched their customer base as well as just out side that to see what is worth the investment.

I am waiting.

Mar 3, 2018 at 11:17 AM Post #29,586 of 151,666
Today I published our interview with Jason Stoddard
https://www.headfonia.com/q-n-a-saturday-schiit-audio/
Maybe nothing new for you guys here though :)

Great interview, I really enjoyed it.

One issue though is your website roasted my phone battery. In the 10 minutes or so I was on there my phone battery dropped 15% and was constantly downloading/uploading data after the page had finished loading, peaking up to 3Mbps. Are you guys running some kind of mining code in the background or is it just a rogue ad?

Mar 3, 2018 at 11:39 AM Post #29,587 of 151,666
I take ORT's point ... for me portability has it's place in a hotel room. If Schiit did enter the DAC/AMP portable market, it would be because they can do some aspect of this better/cheaper than everyone else. Perhaps P2P WiFi is an alternative to the Bluetooth offerings elsewhere ... to connect to a source (e.g. a phone). I'd go for that.

Mar 3, 2018 at 11:41 AM Post #29,588 of 151,666
Great interview, I really enjoyed it.

One issue though is your website roasted my phone battery. In the 10 minutes or so I was on there my phone battery dropped 15% and was constantly downloading/uploading data after the page had finished loading, peaking up to 3Mbps. Are you guys running some kind of mining code in the background or is it just a rogue ad?

Must have been some add, sorry.

Mar 3, 2018 at 12:17 PM Post #29,590 of 151,666
I am unconvinced about portable DAC, Amps and combinations there of. I tried the portable separate Amp thingy and found it made no difference for me other than being an inconvenience due to having to carry around the thing. Strapping it to a player is even more of a pain....snip
+1 ended up getting the LG V30...does a good job with a wide variety of iems to high impedance cans

Mar 3, 2018 at 12:29 PM Post #29,592 of 151,666
+1 ended up getting the LG V30...does a good job with a wide variety of iems to high impedance cans

I honestly don't know about the SQ abilities of all the phones ... my one on its own is not brilliant with full-size headphones, so I spent €160 on a DAC/AMP that improves on it and in total spend is much less than a €600 phone. I'm guessing many phones (if not most) are in the same boat, that would benefit from a portable, lower priced DAC/AMP, preferably in Schiit livery.

Mar 3, 2018 at 2:06 PM Post #29,593 of 151,666
...snip...

PS- Please, Loki Maxi also.

Unfortunately, the first bloody thing that popped into my head was a can of Pepsi MAX. I regret that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back