Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 7, 2014 at 6:37 AM Post #2,611 of 151,517
Originally Posted by Baldr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... Designed and built the first (as far as I know) applications of: a 6DJ8/6922 audio amp design – the first stem to stern no feedback audio amplifier – the first digital to analog converter for home audio - the first to apply low jitter in an audio design – ....
and:
....Make something happen; create something which is capable of sonically pleasuring human beings....

I for one am grateful for these advances! my home 6922 tubed DAC with low jitter may not exist otherwise, and they greatly contribute to my enjoyment of music on a daily basis.

Jason and Mike's business model makes complete sense to me, and it makes sense on a larger economic scale as well. If it were to spread to other industries, it could be a cause for concern for some indeed. They probably won't see it coming though, as it would take complete reprogramming for them to understand the notion of value itself.

Sep 7, 2014 at 12:34 PM Post #2,612 of 151,517
Hmm. Touching base back on the ADC bandwagon (I promise - this'll be the last time*: it looks like Mike has kiboshed Schiit ever doing such a thing), Creative Labs have just announced a new external soundcard (computer geek speak for external DAC) called the Soundblaster X7 for $400.

The official website is here:

http://www.soundblaster.com/x7/

But it's hard to get a feel for what it does. PC World has a better summary of its features:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2602913/sound-blaster-x7-preview-creative-labs-aims-to-make-pc-audio-interesting-again.html

Amongst other things, it drives 2 headphones of up to 600 ohms at once and has a 100-watt amp** for passive speakers (sound familiar?).

In true audiophile tweaking style, you need to buy an upgraded power supply to get the most out of it.

Marquee features are Bluetooth with aptX, AAC, NFC and USB connections both for the computer source and for streaming from a tablet or phone, including charging. A Burr-Brown 24/192 DAC and (my emphasis) a Burr-Brown… ADC for converting analog audio to digital (for recording). In addition it allows op-amp rolling (the millennial generations version of tube rolling) and has six channel Dolby Digital out (but not Blu-ray audio). An optical S/PDIF loop and single analog in are there too.

There's also a bazillion woo-woo DSP effects that can be disabled with a physical switch on the front. Oh, and a built in mic for gaming use or doing room correction.

You can control it from an app on your iDevice or Android (or computer).

Finally, it's a pretty big sucker, standing over half the height of a Macbook screen, with a big-ass volume control and (in what I think is a genius move) has a rack you can attach to the back to store your headphones on.

http://img.creative.com/soundblaster/x7/images/gallery/06.jpg

They've also introduced a couple of portable rechargeable DAC/amps that work with Lightning connectors etc.

This is obviously not the place to discuss this product. If Head-fiers want to start a thread about it, I'm sure they will, but it's not available until December anyway, so…

However!

My point, which I am finally getting to, is that ADCs are not as rarified and unusual as you might think. Creative Labs is not the only computer/gamer focused sound company that makes them (leaving out the amateur/pro-sumer/pro musician stuff). And these are not being marketed to a limited pool of musicians, they're focussed squarely on the gamer market (as their website clearly demonstrates). And the gamer market is fast growing and probably the largest market outside of office users. Plus they all (ALL!) use headphones.

Schiit analogital. Just sayin'.

*Probably

**Car stereo watts, as far as I can tell - not "real" watts.

Sep 7, 2014 at 7:22 PM Post #2,613 of 151,517
+1. I think once Jason has met mine, he will have India specials for every festival celebrated here ( oh, 20+) out of sheer compassion :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

OK Kothganesh, I'm culturally jealous. Not only do you get 20+ festivals, you have the coolest looking gods - multiple arms, blue skin and elephant heads! Not to mention all the great literature; the Bhagavad Gita, the Mahabharata, the Samaveda, Rigveda and Daarthveda...

All we get is one guy with beard and sandals - no comparison.

Sep 7, 2014 at 9:21 PM Post #2,614 of 151,517
OK Kothganesh, I'm culturally jealous. Not only do you get 20+ festivals, you have the coolest looking gods - multiple arms, blue skin and elephant heads! Not to mention all the great literature; the Bhagavad Gita, the Mahabharata, the Samaveda, Rigveda and Daarthveda...

All we get is one guy with beard and sandals - no comparison.

Ouch!

Sep 8, 2014 at 6:50 AM Post #2,615 of 151,517
Got a fully updated Bifrost for my birthday from the woman. Yes i am a lucky man. Just wanted to say I am extremely happy with the performance coming from a ODAC and thanks for packing it floating to make it to Australia in one piece, lets just say I was unable to keep the box.

Sep 8, 2014 at 9:02 AM Post #2,616 of 151,517
Hello Down-under ,

That ODAC is super , I own one and am continually delighted with it's performance , I'll probably purchase one of their matching Amps based on how good I now know their stuff to be .   

I also own and love the Asgard 2 .  

I'm much more a Professional than a Consumer so I'm quite surprised to have this high level of performance from such modest equipment , In my World $250 won't move the needle .  

Tony in Michigan 

Sep 8, 2014 at 10:55 AM Post #2,617 of 151,517
Got a fully updated Bifrost for my birthday from the woman. Yes i am a lucky man. Just wanted to say I am extremely happy with the performance coming from a ODAC and thanks for packing it floating to make it to Australia in one piece, lets just say I was unable to keep the box.

Congratulations yah101! I, too, very happy with my Bifrost.

Sep 8, 2014 at 1:39 PM Post #2,618 of 151,517

Congratulations yah101! I, too, very happy with my Bifrost.

Mine is original stock unit and still loving it!

Is there a night and day difference upgrading to uber?

Sep 8, 2014 at 1:51 PM Post #2,619 of 151,517

Mine is original stock unit and still loving it!

Is there a night and day difference upgrading to uber?

No idea, honestly. I bought the Uber knowing full well, I would be buying it later.. just because I have shopping issues.

Here is a thread that discusses it. Reading the thread, the consensus is that it is a worthwhile upgrade--I stopped reading about page 5 :).

http://www.head-fi.org/t/661444/schiit-bifrost-uber-analog-upgrade

Sep 8, 2014 at 3:07 PM Post #2,621 of 151,517
  I have done the Bifrost Uber upgrade and yes the schiit's worthwhile, it means I can hold off the upgradities and wait for the Yggy

This is exactly my plan. Can't wait for RMAF, we should be getting some solid details about Yggy then, and hopefully a release date.

Sep 8, 2014 at 11:47 PM Post #2,625 of 151,517
Is Yggy going to be as large as Ragnarog, or will it have a smaller form factor?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back