Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 1, 2014 at 1:43 PM Post #2,447 of 150,613
  The design of your products is perfectly fine, there's no need for fancier chassis or any additional features.

+1

The clean design together with the nice size (it fits perfectly beside my screen) are the reasons I considered the Schiit products in the first place.

Sep 1, 2014 at 1:48 PM Post #2,448 of 150,613

+1

The clean design together with the nice size (it fits perfectly beside my screen) are the reasons I considered the Schiit products in the first place.

+1

Agreed. I love the compact, elegant, and solid build quality.

Sep 1, 2014 at 2:04 PM Post #2,449 of 150,613
I love the look of Schiit gear, it looks clean, classy and unlike other companies components.  

Sep 1, 2014 at 3:08 PM Post #2,450 of 150,613

While most of us here would use such a device to digitize vinyl or tapes, this is not the primary use for an ADC. It is really a tool for musicians to digitize their music. The prosumer market of at-home musicians is only getting larger (from what I can tell). With their expertise it may be possible for Schiit to compete with companies like Apogee and M-audio. And entering that market could potentially drum up business for their other products. I'd be willing to wager that a lot of the headphones that those at-home musicians use to mix/master are woefully underpowered.

But hey, we're just armchair quarterbacking here. I just know Jason & co will continue to release awesome Schiit, whether he likes our ideas or not.

You took the words out of my mouth...
My guess is that the amateur/not so amateur/at home recording musician crowd is at least as big, if not bigger, than the head-fi crowd. I bet a lot of them would consider alternatives to their soundcard if given the choice. The pro market is not to be sneezed at either!
For me, an ADC would definitely be used for LP needledrops: the ability to take the sound of MY vinyl setup with me, on albums that never made it to CD or downloads...
tongue_smile.gif

Sep 1, 2014 at 3:27 PM Post #2,451 of 150,613

You took the words out of my mouth...

Exactly... Even Best Buy and the Apple Store sell audio interfaces. Do they sell headphone amps? Not so much.

The real argument for not making an ADC would be that there's already too much competition. It's possible Schiit could make a great product but it's hard to break into an established market. 

Sep 1, 2014 at 5:04 PM Post #2,456 of 150,613

Based on what?

Not sure the original premise, but I have a hard time seeing audiophiles (or whatever we want to call Schiit's customer base) getting excited about ADC. ADC means we're going to DAC later, which means we added at least one lossy signal-changing conversion that could have been avoided. That sounds like anathema to the "OCD types" whether or not it actually ends up mattering or not. PS AUDIO has one of the most curious products in this area (a phono pre-amp that also provides an ADC); I would be fascinated to hear a) how well it's sold b) how many people actually use the ADC capability of the device for either transcoding or input into e.g. a PWD.

For professional/studio use there's a lot of value in ADC, but for consumer audio, high-end or not, I have never found myself thirsty for ADC. What's the use case?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back