Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 20, 2017 at 2:08 PM Post #24,572 of 150,704
All of our products, with the exception of Fulla 2, use linear supplies. Period.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Sep 20, 2017 at 2:16 PM Post #24,573 of 150,704
I feel like by doing a Magni 3 the product line will hurt now, because won't people just be like... well if I wait an Lyr 3 will be out and it will be around same price as Lyr 2 but better specs, so I might as well wait before I spend... not sure, either way Schiit is a awesome company imo... I still wish they launched a Modi 3 that was tested and designed to pair with the Magni 3, $99 or w.e $200 schiit stack, meant to be paired together... I always have a hard time finding right DAC to pair with right AMP, schiit makes it easier by doing all their testing for me... give me Modi 3 please and make it meant to pair with magni 3.. i will throw my money at you, up to $99 LOL

I hear ya, however Schiit doesn't stand still too long. They continually improve their product line and are now even broadening their offerings with very interesting new products. Very admirable indeed.

The only thing that I've been a little puzzled by is their upgradeable line of products, specifically their DAC's. I self-upgraded my Bifrost Uber to the 4490 because that made total economic sense to me. When the Multibit Bifrost came out for a $250 upgrade price I did consider it but I held off and I'm glad that I did because they came out with the $249 Modi Multibit. I decided that it just made more sense to spend $249 and have an additional DAC (and a damn good one at that) instead of upgrading and still have only 1 DAC. I'll keep the Bifrost 4490 because I do like how it sounds but more so because I'm curious to see what upgrade path the Bifrost DAC's intend (?) to have. I hope they haven't forgotten about their upgrade philosophy. For me personally, I would like to see balanced outputs to pair up with my Jotunheim. I understand that space limitations may exist though but here's an idea, make USB input optional. I for one don't use it much, if at all.

Sep 20, 2017 at 2:23 PM Post #24,575 of 150,704
MQA purports to fold ultrasonic information into a 16/44 container. Most recorded music has no information up there to fold in, especially older recordings. If you want high rez music you have to record it. I wonder how much of the reported audibility of MQA is due to the remastering process and not the additional information.

Sep 20, 2017 at 2:29 PM Post #24,576 of 150,704
An AC to AC stepdown transformer is an integral part of a linear power supply unless it is producing near 120volts DC.

My original point was I thought it was odd to select the Mangi 3 based on a "linear power supply" (when most audiophiles who talk about those do so in the sense of an AC-DC LPS wallwart), when most all of Schiit's gear uses AC-AC transformers, that's all.

Sep 20, 2017 at 2:40 PM Post #24,577 of 150,704
My original point was I thought it was odd to select the Mangi 3 based on a "linear power supply" (when most audiophiles who talk about those do so in the sense of an AC-DC LPS wallwart), when most all of Schiit's gear uses AC-AC transformers, that's all.

As stated before, all of our products, with the exception of Fulla 2, use fully linear supplies. Period.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Sep 20, 2017 at 2:56 PM Post #24,580 of 150,704
I hear ya, however Schiit doesn't stand still too long. They continually improve their product line and are now even broadening their offerings with very interesting new products. Very admirable indeed.

The only thing that I've been a little puzzled by is their upgradeable line of products, specifically their DAC's. I self-upgraded my Bifrost Uber to the 4490 because that made total economic sense to me. When the Multibit Bifrost came out for a $250 upgrade price I did consider it but I held off and I'm glad that I did because they came out with the $249 Modi Multibit. I decided that it just made more sense to spend $249 and have an additional DAC (and a damn good one at that) instead of upgrading and still have only 1 DAC. I'll keep the Bifrost 4490 because I do like how it sounds but more so because I'm curious to see what upgrade path the Bifrost DAC's intend (?) to have. I hope they haven't forgotten about their upgrade philosophy. For me personally, I would like to see balanced outputs to pair up with my Jotunheim. I understand that space limitations may exist though but here's an idea, make USB input optional. I for one don't use it much, if at all.

As a Bifrost Uber owner I'd be interested to know, how you think the Modi Multibit compares to the Uber or 4490?

Sep 20, 2017 at 3:17 PM Post #24,581 of 150,704
As a Bifrost Uber owner I'd be interested to know, how you think the Modi Multibit compares to the Uber or 4490?

The 4490 upgrade wasn't too much of a leap forward over the Uber but as far as I can remember the soundscape widened a bit more. What I do recall is that the bass had a bit more meat over the Uber. The Multibit was a more noticeable change to me with quite an increase in detail, even wider soundscape and better instrument spacing. In short when I listen to multibit it sounds very live-like. The only negative for me is that the bass is a bit less impactful but again more detailed sounding. To me the multibit iteration is the best yet.

Sep 20, 2017 at 3:26 PM Post #24,582 of 150,704
The 4490 upgrade wasn't too much of a leap forward over the Uber but as far as I can remember the soundscape widened a bit more. What I do recall is that the bass had a bit more meat over the Uber. The Multibit was a more noticeable change to me with quite an increase in detail, even wider soundscape and better instrument spacing. In short when I listen to multibit it sounds very live-like. The only negative for me is that the bass is a bit less impactful but again more detailed sounding. To me the multibit iteration is the best yet.

Nice to know, thanks!

Sep 20, 2017 at 3:45 PM Post #24,583 of 150,704
Where did you get the Max Out Voltage values? Calculated?
Yup, V = sqrt (P * R), it's interesting how the big amps put out a constant voltage even at low impedance!

An aside on the linear power supplies:

The wall wort is just a transformer, hence it's AC output. It's only the very first component of the "power supply".

The actual linear power supply is a circuit inside the chassis of all their products, the transformer is the only thing that sometimes moves outside.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2017 at 4:56 PM Post #24,585 of 150,704
I understand now why companies don't deal with the public in such an open fashion as Schiit does, between numbskulls like me, the people wanting extra features, the crazy talk on power supplies (like who cares- your niche market of an already niche market), and the overall complainers... I imagine it gets tiring... I read something about putting a V something something meter in the Magni 3... and I just facepalmed... I know I can be annoying, but at least I am nothing but excited for such an awesome spec sheet at a great price. I respect Schiit as a company and I love their clean industrial look designs.

Looking forward to the future, I imagine someday I will move from budget gear as I get older, and I am sure Schiit will be innovating even then! I will be giving them my business for sure ^^ I don't trust the quality control of Shenzen and other big names out there, but I do for Schiit

Users who are viewing this thread

Back