Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 13, 2014 at 12:45 PM Post #2,041 of 151,047
  Here's two more hints for 2015, then I'll stop. I promise:

1. If you don't move in surprising new directions, you'll stagnate.
2. If you don't radically improve your own approaches, someone else will come take the market from you.

And that's it.

Oh schiit.

Aug 13, 2014 at 1:44 PM Post #2,043 of 151,047
Aug 13, 2014 at 1:50 PM Post #2,044 of 151,047
Portable amps/DACs make sense, but I really hope they're not going into portable audiophile music players. They require insane costs and complexity in hardware, software, and services to be very good, yet they have about as much of a future (and present) as Android watches — and these guys are smart enough to see that.

A few thousand people's responses to as-yet-unmet promises on Kickstarter do not reflect the market's response to an actual shipping product.

Competing with the smartphone is always unwise, but especially so when competing in an area — music storage, acquisition, and portable playback — that it's really good at. (And don't forget that a custom hardware player almost certainly couldn't support streaming services in any usable way, which is how most people listen to music these days, like it or not.)

Aug 13, 2014 at 2:04 PM Post #2,048 of 151,047
I bet it's either a portable amp or a desktop all-in-one dac/amp.

Aug 13, 2014 at 2:19 PM Post #2,049 of 151,047
  Powered by open source Android. Could start a community of hackers.

Maybe. But that's a very small community. They'd sink tons of time and money into development and ongoing software maintenance indefinitely, only to sell 100 of them.

I bet Loki outsells our theoretical-and-I-hope-it-stays-that-way DAP.

If they provide the basic Android software, just write drivers, many of which are reference drivers supplied by the chip makers, one can run many existing Android music apps, like Neutron, poweramp, etc. Only they can put in great audio hardware. If someone wants a fancier UI, then they can install Nova Launcher, Go Launcher, etc. from Google's app store. Open source the Android and many would enhance it,
Making it small would be expensive and require a bunch of development effort.
Heck, a guy can wish. 

Aug 13, 2014 at 2:45 PM Post #2,050 of 151,047
The little M&Ms ,

These things were my first Headphone Audio purchase , since I've purchased more stuff from Jason and am now hoping for an R2R Dac from Dr. Moffit , patiently waiting , is one coming ? 

Anyway , I love the Schiit outfit so I'll continue keeping them in mind for Headphone solutions . 

Nice work lads , 

You are loved ,

Tony Kaz in Michigan 

Aug 13, 2014 at 4:38 PM Post #2,051 of 151,047
Not sure if this is possible, but would be cool to see an expansion board for the Ygg to accept HDMI or DisplayPort audio and then output the video back to a display. I know it would only be 2 channel, but that is fine by me. Basically the expansion board would have a HDMI/DisplayPort input and output.

Aug 13, 2014 at 4:40 PM Post #2,052 of 151,047
I'm going to guess a walwart replacement with multiple power taps for the magni/modi/vali/wyrd/etc.

Aug 13, 2014 at 4:42 PM Post #2,053 of 151,047
It would be nice to see an integrated amp that's in the price range of the Asgard. Kind of a price-range gap with the magni/modi and Asgard/Bifrost and the Audio-gd stuff and some of the receivers that are coming out are stiff competition. I would love to see a portable, but I know that Jason has expressed that he doesn't really like dealing with batteries, etc. because they're a hassle. We'll see though, would be really cool to see. maybe mini-monitor amp/speaker amps? We shall see. Excellent story, can hardly wait to see what cool new goodies are due for release.

Aug 13, 2014 at 4:50 PM Post #2,054 of 151,047
My guess:

- Network streamer or DAC with network connection
- All-in-one device: source + speaker amp + HP amp (Ragnarok and Yggdrasil combined)
- New boards for Gungnir and Bifrost, maybe even new DAC chips
- if Yggdrasil turns out to be succesful enough, it might lead to a lower cost device which will use the same filter (Gungnir with Yggdrasil technology...?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back