Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 25, 2017 at 6:14 AM Post #20,417 of 151,119

Wow, 8 cents? I can't buy the wire in 400 ft lengths for less than 24 cents a piece in material costs. Those air core coils will be wound by hand around a dowel and hand dipped in a solder pot probably heated by charcoal. They will be perfect but don't go down this path. Get the 40-50 cent pieces for future production, please.
I'll have you know that the assembly workers are expert at air guitar.

May 25, 2017 at 8:08 AM Post #20,419 of 151,119
What a great and entertaining tour down the long and winding road to find the most direct path. You and your team are following in the footsteps of the great pioneers. This chronicle reminds me of incredible people in our history who spent their whole life finding the "obvious" and "simple" truths we take for granted. I've always had great respect for people who does a job properly what ever it takes. And I am looking very much forward to share the zen moment with you when we get the pictures of the final board in its "simple" beauty.
This chapter makes me want to taste that pudding so badly. I'm sure the dual Mono setup will be great, but it seems like it's in stereo where Vidar will prove it's value as the spear that never misses.
BTW I found it very cool that you chose to bring the small stack to Axpona. Even if it was because you only had one working Vidar. A lesser person (me) would have filmed the expressions of any multi xxxxx$ amp manufacturers / -reviewers when they heard it. For personal enjoyment only ofcourse.
The process that Jason describes is rooted in a culture of engineering discipline. This subject used to be taught in engineering school[it may still be taught under some new silly name], and engineers were expected to follow this culture, and were evaluated by faculty review of lab reports, homework assignments, etc. Unfortunately, many new grads believe that these rigors are intellectually stifling, and follow shortcuts [usually found on the internet or in some manufacturers sales literature]. Because of this, many take the "easy" road rather than the one with failures littering the shoulders. As a stark example, remember that we went to [and returned from] the moon using slide rules and other archaic devices that have faded into engineering oblivion-----but we succeeded because we practiced engineering discipline.

May 25, 2017 at 9:07 AM Post #20,420 of 151,119
Engineering can be really useful.
Particularly when they tackle real life problems.

Schiit heaps can be very annoying, especially when you live next to water as I do.
You know.... flies and the like.
So, I bought myself an electronic fly, wasp, and mosquito eliminator yesterday.

Now what an invention that is!
I brought it home, inserted the batteries and from that moment on all flying objects where gone.
Not one to be found. No test subjects at all.
I schiit you not.

Now that's what I call effective.

WP_20170525_14_40_37_Pro (2).jpg

May 25, 2017 at 9:57 AM Post #20,422 of 151,119
I can wait an extra 2 months for Vidar if you can get USA made transformers. How much extra would American made ones add to purchase price of Vidar ?
I thought he only mentioned ordering the output inductor from China right, not the transformers...

May 25, 2017 at 11:19 AM Post #20,423 of 151,119
I can wait an extra 2 months for Vidar if you can get USA made transformers. How much extra would American made ones add to purchase price of Vidar ?

I kind of feel the same way. At least in my reading of Jason's chapter, it seemed like this is a temporary workaround to get the Vidars out and not have any more delays before sorting out a permanent solution. Whether Schiit stays with a Chinese supplier or moves to an American supplier, my preference would be to go with the final solution. However, I, like some of us, am waiting for the Vidar's imminent release to complete my system. I trust the Chinese sourced output inductor meets Schiit's specs otherwise they wouldn't go with it. I'm not in the business of upgrading equipment frequently or even irregularly so I'm just trsuting that any future issues that arise, from any of the parts, will be serviced appropriately.

May 25, 2017 at 12:53 PM Post #20,428 of 151,119
If you're bothered about Chinese inductors, go to Home Depot, buy a small spool of 14 gauge wire and wind your own.

I'm not bothered by Chinese made (of all things) inductors. My preference, especially if Schiit is leaning toward sourcing future parts from a different manufacturer for the long-term then to go with that particular manufacturing run. But I'm balancing that out with an immediate desire for Vidar rather than waiting an additional 6 months, one year, ...

May 25, 2017 at 1:27 PM Post #20,430 of 151,119
IMG_20170525_125632866.jpg
Engineering can be really useful.
Particularly when they tackle real life problems.

Schiit heaps can be very annoying, especially when you live next to water as I do.
You know.... flies and the like.
So, I bought myself an electronic fly, wasp, and mosquito eliminator yesterday.

Now what an invention that is!
I brought it home, inserted the batteries and from that moment on all flying objects where gone.
Not one to be found. No test subjects at all.
I schiit you not.

Now that's what I call effective.

Ha! Across the pond here in Florida we're well armed. We keep one in the Schiitr. The adjustable one is rewarding to use when they land on the ceiling and are looking down laughing at you. Don't really know exactly where the electronics are made.....but the aluminum mesh matches my Schiit gear.....en garde non the less!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back