Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 21, 2017 at 1:49 PM Post #20,296 of 149,297
I've always narrowed down my speakers shortlist based on the following:

Can I afford them?

How big are they?

What finishes are they available in, how attractive are they?

I've found it's possible to audition too many pairs, so I try to narrow it down to three, or four at the most. Any more than that I just get bogged down, and suffer auditioning fatigue!

P.S I've just read this in a review of a pair of loudspeakers: "I did all of my listening with the grilles removed. (If you want grilles, they cost $500/pair extra.)"
I'm sorry, but $500 for grilles?????

May 21, 2017 at 5:02 PM Post #20,297 of 149,297

Can I afford them?

How big are they?

What finishes are they available in, how attractive are they?

I've found it's possible to audition too many pairs, so I try to narrow it down to three, or four at the most. Any more than that I just get bogged down, and suffer auditioning fatigue!

P.S I've just read this in a review of a pair of loudspeakers: "I did all of my listening with the grilles removed. (If you want grilles, they cost $500/pair extra.)"

I dunno...Maybe they are patterned after those "gansta grills" worn by cRap fArteests? Actually it sounds like frAudiophile stuff. Some people want to be made to suffer and willingly pay more for what should be standard or some times more for less.

Harley-Davidson will some times remove equipment from a model and charge more for the "bare-knuckle, essentials only look" and many people pay extra for that! To me, that is just weird.

May 21, 2017 at 7:55 PM Post #20,298 of 149,297

... P.S I've just read this in a review of a pair of loudspeakers: "I did all of my listening with the grilles removed. (If you want grilles, they cost $500/pair extra.)"

And veneered or painted the loudspeakers cost an extra $3,500 ($7,900 basic :pear:)

May 21, 2017 at 10:44 PM Post #20,299 of 149,297
I dunno...Maybe they are patterned after those "gansta grills" worn by cRap fArteests? Actually it sounds like frAudiophile stuff. Some people want to be made to suffer and willingly pay more for what should be standard or some times more for less.

Harley-Davidson will some times remove equipment from a model and charge more for the "bare-knuckle, essentials only look" and many people pay extra for that! To me, that is just weird.

May 21, 2017 at 11:57 PM Post #20,300 of 149,297
I presume that the LS50 pairs well with Schiit components? Otherwise Schiit wouldn't choose it as one of their demo room speakers.

The only place I've heard those speakers is The Schiitr, and I wasn't blown away. Though I should add that I knew going in that they aren't on my list so I didn't take any time to try to get them to sound better. It seems like visitors have pretty much free rein in that room, and I wasn't convinced that they were set up very well for the room.

May 22, 2017 at 2:02 AM Post #20,302 of 149,297
You can’t really go wrong with Dynaudio Special 25’s but they do take a bit of power to drive. Vidar’s 200w @ 4 ohm’s should do just fine... My pair are least 20+ years old and I’ll never sell them, even though they were delegated to the second system once I heard the Marten Design Dukes. My Bimby sounds just fine feeding those as well. And for the record, I followed the complete upgrade path (stock -> uber -> multibit) and would do it again. Gosh I love my Schiit!

May 22, 2017 at 6:28 AM Post #20,307 of 149,297
Does anyone know how you can tell a multibit and non-multibit version apart from the outside?
Is there a way of visually establishing certainty wether a DAC was upgraded to multibit?
And how about the usb? Can you tell its a v2 without opening the DAC?

May 22, 2017 at 6:34 AM Post #20,310 of 149,297
Does anyone know how you can tell a multibit and non-multibit version apart from the outside?
Is there a way of visually establishing certainty wether a DAC was upgraded to multibit?
And how about the usb? Can you tell its a v2 without opening the DAC?
You planning on buying one second hand?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back