Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 13, 2014 at 2:21 PM Post #1,696 of 152,617
  By this I mean that although these are commonly called PCM recorders, the "PCM" signal these devices output is really the result of a re-sampling and decimotion trick performed on the delta sigma modulator data stream.

Yes, it is, depending on the ADC used.  But what does that matter?  If that is the original content format, then there will be nothing better created from it, and any variation from that original is just that: a simple variation.  Not an improvement.

Jul 13, 2014 at 2:29 PM Post #1,700 of 152,617
  By this I mean that although these are commonly called PCM recorders, the "PCM" signal these devices output is really the result of a re-sampling and decimotion trick performed on the delta sigma modulator data stream.

I don't think recording studios use cheap delta-sigma ADCs...

Jul 13, 2014 at 2:30 PM Post #1,701 of 152,617

It's not native PCM content. Just another re-sampling trick.

What I wanted to say is that the argument of nativeness works both ways, for DSD and PCM.

Not native PCM?  Of course it is.  Almost all DARs use PCM as their native recording format, at whatever sampling rate the engineer set (or the system is capable of.)  It can't be "re" sampled if it's the original sample!

Jul 13, 2014 at 2:36 PM Post #1,704 of 152,617
  Pro-audio industry moved to delta-sigma ADCs long time ago.

OK... And most of them are recording in PCM anyway and then converting to DSD for SACD mastering.
Almost nobody records to DSD directly.

Jul 13, 2014 at 2:43 PM Post #1,706 of 152,617
  They are NOT recording in PCM, they are making a couple of tricks on the sigma modulator and output PCM.

So what do you suggest? Tapes?

Jul 13, 2014 at 2:53 PM Post #1,708 of 152,617
  They are NOT recording in PCM, they are making a couple of tricks on the D-S modulator and output PCM.

Probably nobody is manufacturing r2R ADCs today.

An R2R ADC is NOT required for PCM.

Jul 13, 2014 at 3:01 PM Post #1,709 of 152,617
After a few pages of the DSD/PCM/provenance/upsampling/etc debate, do you wonder why so many people think us audiophiles are a little bit nuts?

Time to listen to some music, I think. Does it sound good? Yep. Then all is well.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back