Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 19, 2017 at 10:21 PM Post #16,502 of 150,584
I atone for my sins with a sacrifice this evening.
evil_smiley.gif

Jan 20, 2017 at 2:26 AM Post #16,503 of 150,584
  Do you really wanna be reaching behind your gear to plug and unplug in a setup like this?

Power switches make sense for those that don't want to leave gear powered on all the time or have a wiring project on their hands each time they want to change things up.

(Not my rig)

Fair enough I suppose

I stand corrected guys! Now back to enjoying the Schiit

Jan 20, 2017 at 5:11 AM Post #16,504 of 150,584
Hmm... I think Emotiva is up to their or fourth dedicated buzzword-compliant pre-processor. http://emotiva.com/products/pres-and-pros/mc-700 . I don't think there are any companies that -only- make surround processors, but Emotiva wouldn't keep making them if they weren't profitable for them. 

Disclaimer: I own and like their previous entry-level pre-pro, the UMC-200. I won't need to replace it until/unless I get 4k video playback.

Have you followed the development of their processors? The XMC-1 literally was years overdue. The completely scrapped at least one finished design because it wasn't good enough when it was done. More recently the had to scrap and completely redo a basically finised Emersa processor because of market changes. Even their new MC700 is having initial problems on release. Plus they sell a ton of amps which most likely pays the bills.

I am not saying this to bash Emotiva, but they have gone through considerable pain to get where they are and the pain continues.

I can 100% understand why Schiit wants to stay away from the HT market. It would seem to be development hell. Having to redo your product every couple of years because the industry changed again. No thanks.

Jan 20, 2017 at 11:03 AM Post #16,505 of 150,584
Have you followed the development of their processors? The XMC-1 literally was years overdue. The completely scrapped at least one finished design because it wasn't good enough when it was done. More recently the had to scrap and completely redo a basically finised Emersa processor because of market changes. Even their new MC700 is having initial problems on release. Plus they sell a ton of amps which most likely pays the bills.

I am not saying this to bash Emotiva, but they have gone through considerable pain to get where they are and the pain continues.

I can 100% understand why Schiit wants to stay away from the HT market. It would seem to be development hell. Having to redo your product every couple of years because the industry changed again. No thanks.

Hey Brubacca, fellow Emotiva Lounger!  You are right about the headaches Emotiva has had with expanding their product line. 

I admire Schiit because they stick with a plan and execute it very, very well. Meanwhile people say, well what if you did X or what if you did Y, and couldn't you just make this one tiny exception and issue Z colored cases, etc.  It's easy to suggest all that stuff because it's not your money that has to invest in producing it. And then one little thing leads to another and pretty soon you've gone far from what you intended to do and diluted your product and reputation. I say Jason and Mike have built an excellent company and they know what they're doing so they should keep following their instincts.  Talk is cheap and a whole lot different when its your own company and your own hard-earned dollars that are on the line. 

Jan 20, 2017 at 11:19 AM Post #16,507 of 150,584
Jan 20, 2017 at 11:38 AM Post #16,509 of 150,584
Yes, this gets my blood boiling, Just commented on Facebook and sent a letter to the ad rep and editor. 

The reality is, for those just tuning in: AD5791BRUZ DACs used in Yggdrasil are 100% current and used in the most mission-critical applications on the planet, including medical imaging and defense. They are much higher spec in terms of INL and DNL than any audio DAC, ever. The Yggdrasil uses 4 of these blindingly expensive DACs.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jan 20, 2017 at 12:02 PM Post #16,510 of 150,584

Just goes to show you can't always take seriously what's posted on the net - unless it's from Jason, of course.

BTW, I seem to recall some companies either did or do go out of their way to find very early non-oversampling chips for their players/DACs (47 labs, I think, maybe others.) One man's "obsolete" is another's path to audio purity.

This is a funny hobby sometimes...

Jan 20, 2017 at 12:03 PM Post #16,511 of 150,584
I recall the designer of the DAC is in Head-Fi too but I can't recall his name or the thread's name.

Can anyone help alert him/her to this too?

EDIT: No, I am not referring to @Baldr (who may have known about this by now?), I am referring to the guy who made the actual chip

Jan 20, 2017 at 12:15 PM Post #16,515 of 150,584
  Yes, this gets my blood boiling, Just commented on Facebook and sent a letter to the ad rep and editor. 

The reality is, for those just tuning in: AD5791BRUZ DACs used in Yggdrasil are 100% current and used in the most mission-critical applications on the planet, including medical imaging and defense. They are much higher spec in terms of INL and DNL than any audio DAC, ever. The Yggdrasil uses 4 of these blindingly expensive DACs.

So what kind kind of letter would the ad rep get ...we know what the editor received. 

Would it be something like..cancel my contract...or don't call me again?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back