Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 10, 2017 at 8:20 AM Post #16,171 of 152,261

Yes, in Tennessee. Knoxville specifically. We just had our first snow, under 1" and the are is still partially shut down and grocery stores are still recovering from low stocks of bread and milk. This place loses their mind when the white death from above comes. So, yeah, it's possible!

LOL.  I'm in Canada.  We had 1" before breakfast today. Another 5" coming by noon.  Business as usual.  :)

That's not to say I like it.  I hate snow.

Jan 10, 2017 at 8:51 AM Post #16,172 of 152,261
  It's interesting that they repost so many articles and reviews from the 70s. If you don't check, it's easy to get fooled for a minute into thinking it's a current article. 

I like that they are doing that.  We get to read all kinds of "interesting" (fascinating, as Spock would say) things about designs, features, etc from the dawn of time.

I think JA sees the writing on that wall with his current editorial on the coming price apocalypse.  And Mr. Reichert seems to be one of the most rational of their reviewers and he loves the Yggy.  Says it's all he needs.

Jan 10, 2017 at 10:07 AM Post #16,174 of 152,261

Don't own Freya yet, but anyway by the numbers:

[1] Agreed, since the Elac doesn't have ultra-high-power-handling drivers and fair sensitivity as you noted.  OTOH, 400wpc isn't absurd overkill if you want to very cleanly drive those inexpensive but acclaimed speakers.  It really depends on how the amps and transducers perform at high power levels.

EDIT: Sorry, crap, I forgot that you can *only* go from SE inputs to Balanced outputs with the active tube stage engaged.  My apologies, I got too excited about running the tubes exclusively...

[2] and [3] It's not a tube buffer, it's an SS buffer and you needn't worry about anything when using it SE or Bal, but it won't output balanced from SE in the buffer or passive mode, only with the tube stage activated.  With multiple outputs connected, there are some precautions on using *both* outputs at once, it's clearly written in the manual.  This thing is quite bombproof.  Oh, when the LISSTs come out for this beast, then you will have still more options.

[4] Generally not, but yes in the specific case of the Vidar's input.  And the reasons have to do with maximizing sound quality per cost.  Upgrades to two Vidars will be very common provided the amp has the typically insane Schiit value/cost ratio.  But starting with one Vidar really makes sense for most people, and I expect most of them will never feel the need to go to two. 

Cheers.  Appreciate your thoughts.

There seems to be a feeling that the only way to use Vidar as a stereo amp is to use the SE inputs. Conversely the impression people have is that to use Vidar as a monoblock you have to use the Balanced connections.

I do believe that it was stated that for monoblock operation you had to use the Balanced connection. The question being- can Vidar be used as a stereo amp with Balanced connection to the amp?

I believe this has people confused, including me.

Thank you.  I figure once we get closer to April things will become more clear.  Super excited about Schiit entering the 2ch world and trying to architect and budget for this setup.

Jan 10, 2017 at 10:52 AM Post #16,176 of 152,261
  I received my Gumby today. Is there a preferable way to connect it to my PC? So far I've been using the optical out of my soundcard.

Do you have any choices besides optical and USB?

Jan 10, 2017 at 11:13 AM Post #16,178 of 152,261

Do you have any choices besides optical and USB?

Either coax or optical via soundcard or USB. My PC is about 2.5 meters away from the Gumby, I stayed away from USB because I always thought that would be a problem or is it not?

USB allows the Gumby's clock to run the timing and is preferred to your sound card's SPDIF out. Try to set it up as a WASAPI exclusive mode output.

Uhm, english please? 
redface.gif

Jan 10, 2017 at 1:22 PM Post #16,180 of 152,261
There seems to be a feeling that the only way to use Vidar as a stereo amp is to use the SE inputs. Conversely the impression people have is that to use Vidar as a monoblock you have to use the Balanced connections.

I do believe that it was stated that for monoblock operation you had to use the Balanced connection. The question being- can Vidar be used as a stereo amp with Balanced connection to the amp?

I believe this has people confused, including me.

Look at the picture Jason posted, there is only one XLR input. This is because the amp runs as half pivot point in SE mode, from what I understand. In balanced mode, it's only a monoblock because you're using both sides of it for the single input.

http://www.head-fi.org/content/type/61/id/1762514/width/500/height/1000/flags/LL

Jan 10, 2017 at 1:26 PM Post #16,181 of 152,261
Interesting. I had missed the picture. Yes, you would need two Balanced connections to run in stereo mode. Ok, I don't understand the reference to pivot point technology, but I get the gist.

SE- Stereo Mode
XLR- Monoblock

Jan 10, 2017 at 1:31 PM Post #16,182 of 152,261

LOL.  I'm in Canada.  We had 1" before breakfast today. Another 5" coming by noon.  Business as usual.  :)

That's not to say I like it.  I hate snow.

+1, so tired of shovelling... Snow before Christmas is nice, but by early January it's known here are "the white Schiit".

Jan 10, 2017 at 1:43 PM Post #16,183 of 152,261
Interesting. I had missed the picture. Yes, you would need two Balanced connections to run in stereo mode. Ok, I don't understand the reference to pivot point technology, but I get the gist.

SE- Stereo Mode
XLR- Monoblock

Also remember that XLR means bridged mode. The load (speakers) should have an impedance 2x that of single ended.
In the case of the Vidar - rated down to 4ohms - that means using 8 ohms speakers in bridge mode.

Jan 10, 2017 at 1:56 PM Post #16,184 of 152,261
  Look at the picture Jason posted, there is only one XLR input. This is because the amp runs as half pivot point in SE mode, from what I understand. In balanced mode, it's only a monoblock because you're using both sides of it for the single input.

http://www.head-fi.org/content/type/61/id/1762514/width/500/height/1000/flags/LL

That's what i was missing.  Thank you.

Jan 10, 2017 at 2:31 PM Post #16,185 of 152,261
  The problem with bridging stereo amplifiers to make mono block amplifiers is that, while increasing the "headline" power output, each amplifier output "sees" only half of the loudspeaker's load impedance.  So low impedance loudspeakers present a more challenging load.  In the example above, 4 ohm loudspeakers will present an effective 2 ohm load to each amplifier output of the bridged pair.  For many amplifiers, like the Vidar, this is outside their safe operating envelope.  Even the case of a "normal" 8 ohm loudspeaker will draw more current, as it presents an effective 4 ohm load.

So, TLDR:
Pros and Cons of bridging
PRO - moar power, as long as load impedance is safe
CON - load becomes more difficult, harder to drive

Also remember that XLR means bridged mode. The load (speakers) should have an impedance 2x that of single ended.
In the case of the Vidar - rated down to 4ohms - that means using 8 ohms speakers in bridge mode.

So given the above two comments, the Elacs will represent themselves as 2 Ohm speakers if I run in monoblock.  Per Jason, unrated, and the Vidar will shut itself down before there's a thermal issue, but should be fine if one doesn't overdrive.

I'll probably roll with one and test a fully single ended chain vs XLR from DAC to Freya and SE from Freya to Vidar to see if I can notice a difference.  Odds are probably not.

With something like this, my preference is to buy 2 Vidars from the same production run rather than buy one, then buy another 3, 6, 12 months later.  But given budget, Vidar architecture, and Elac's 4 Ohm impedance, I'm now heavily leaning toward moving with just one Vidar.

Thank you to all that replied.  Appreciate your input.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back