Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 15, 2016 at 5:34 PM Post #15,109 of 151,162

It would quite a thing if a lot of folks here spent more on the tubes than on the Freya!!! Next up..power cord rolling discussion?
tongue.gif

Don't be silly.  Changing power cords won't do schiit unless it's so badly constructed it bursts into flames and shuts the device off. 
biggrin.gif

Dec 15, 2016 at 5:47 PM Post #15,111 of 151,162
  Power cords do make a difference...
evil_smiley.gif
popcorn.gif

Nah,   Either it's unsafe and shorting, or it's fine.

A power cord won't impact your SQ at all.   A lot of audiophiles discuss the superiority of "hospital cables" with green dots on them.   I work in medical devices and use these cables all the time, and this is bogus.   There isn't anything electrically different about these cables.  They are just better tested to ensure that the electrical short and shock risk to the patient or user is very low. 

Heck, even speaker cables don't really make a difference in most cases.

Dec 15, 2016 at 5:52 PM Post #15,114 of 151,162

A power cord won't impact your SQ at all.   A lot of audiophiles discuss the superiority of "hospital cables" with green dots on them.   I work in medical devices and use these cables all the time, and this is bogus.   There isn't anything electrically different about these cables.  They are just better tested to ensure that the electrical short and shock risk to the patient or user is very low. 

If you have not heard the difference a superior PC can make, you simply have zero experience. I can bet on that.

Dec 15, 2016 at 5:59 PM Post #15,116 of 151,162

Also, "Hospital Grade" means that it is built to withstand the abuse and wear subjected to EVERYTHING in a hospital environment. After all, we do not care about ripping cables out of the wall while the patient codes!

Dec 15, 2016 at 6:01 PM Post #15,117 of 151,162

It would quite a thing if a lot of folks here spent more on the tubes than on the Freya!!! Next up..power cord rolling discussion?
tongue.gif

Oh I know and love the benefits of a superior computer, that's why I've built one overclocked to 4.8Ghz with custom built water cooling :p

...and you can't beat having great screen real estate.  Man I love 48" at 4K resolution.  It fits so much! :p

(the benefit is not so much in sound quality though :p )

Dec 15, 2016 at 6:04 PM Post #15,118 of 151,162

If you cannot measure a difference, it is probably [note that I said probably] just perception after paying big bucks for a power cord.

Quick story, then we can move on. At least I will...to wondering where my Freya  is...then next the Vidar...

When I bought my first "audiophile" amp, an ARC, a friend was pestering me to do all sorts of "upgrades"..exotic tubes, fuses, power cords etc..
I was curious about the power cords, but I was very, very cautious at the time. I called ARC to ask them their opinion about aftermarket cords. I spoke
to their long time service and support guy and he said ARC's official line is that spend you money as you wish, there is no benefit. Then before I hung up,
he said.."But...keep this between you and I...when we exhibit at shows, and use aftermarket power cords, the sound is clearly better, not just different, but better...
we can't explain it, but we never let potential customers listen with the stock cords."

There is a ridiculous amount of credible write ups on the net about why they can and do make a difference....now back to regularly scheduled programming. 

Dec 15, 2016 at 6:12 PM Post #15,120 of 151,162
  Quick story, then we can move on. At least I will...to wondering where my Freya  is...then next the Vidar...

When I bought my first "audiophile" amp, an ARC, a friend was pestering me to do all sorts of "upgrades"..exotic tubes, fuses, power cords etc..
I was curious about the power cords, but I was very, very cautious at the time. I called ARC to ask them their opinion about aftermarket cords. I spoke
to their long time service and support guy and he said ARC's official line is that spend you money as you wish, there is no benefit. Then before I hung up,
he said.."But...keep this between you and I...when we exhibit at shows, and use aftermarket power cords, the sound is clearly better, not just different, but better...
we can't explain it, but we never let potential customers listen with the stock cords."

There is a ridiculous amount of credible write ups on the net about why they can and do make a difference....now back to regularly scheduled programming. 

I'll chuck that one up to placebo.

I'm no electrical engineer, but I am an engineer and physics enthusiast and I can't think of any way that could possibly be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back