Schiit Gungnir Multi-Bit captures the same magic of Yggy?
Sep 3, 2015 at 3:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

kenman345

Headphoneus Supremus
So I have not found a definitive answer. The Multi-Bit upgrade to the Gungnir is just an upgrade, but the Yggy was designed to have little to nothing after the DAC outputs, so I wondered, does the Gungnir capture some of the same magic as the Yggy? I want to know what the comparison is, I understand that the DAC's are different and I honestly am not interested in buying a Yggy, but I wanna get a better idea of a comparison between the two with so little information on the Multi-Bit addition to the Gungnir.

Thanks all that reply, I will be reading everything several times

Sep 17, 2015 at 12:47 PM Post #2 of 13
Yes, it does.

My opinion:

The Yggdrasil has the ability to resolve absolutely every detail in remarkable clarity, with a remarkable tonal balance retained throughout. It shines above and beyond other DACs in this regard, while also illuminating how other DACs create artifical treble related issues. In short, it is a resolution king, while presenting a very natural sound... it doesn't sound overly clinical, digital, or otherwise flawed.

The MB Gungnir also illuminates details in much the same manner. It offers clarity, but also infuses a bit of warmth into the presentation. This translates to me into an overall smoothness... a very linear, liquid sound. The MB Gungnir does smooth over a very, very small amount of details that the Yggdrasil is able to resolve and present, so the Yggdrasil definitely edges it here. I also believe the treble clarity of the Yggdrasil to be superior. The difference of the upgrading to the MB Gungnir as far as treble goes is very apparent, however. If I had never heard the Yggdrasil, I would not have known things could get even better.

I would take the MB Gungnir over any other <$2000 DAC any day of the week. I would take the Yggdrasil over all else, if money wasn't a constraint. 

Sep 17, 2015 at 1:10 PM Post #3 of 13
Also, in the interest of quantifying what exactly the magic of Multibit technology is... my opinion:

- Clarity, resolution; linear, even sounding; natural frequency response. The ability of the DAC to become a seamless conduit between the recording and your gear, imparting as little flaws as possible.

Flaws present in other DACs that the MB Gungnir and Yggy seem to improve upon, or not have:
- digital glare - includes treble crunch or compression of percussion frequencies
- emphasis of certain frequencies
- lean-sounding or thick sounding body = muddiness, anemic bass, or overall sharpness
- an overall laid-back signature, mostly characteristic of certain chips

The MB Gungnir is by no means absolutely the perfect DAC, however, it comes as close to perfect as I will ever personally need for the foreseeable future. The Yggdrasil is as good as digital will ever get, short of spending outrageous amounts of money, IMO. From that point onward, one could simply invest in their vinyl rig, or spend their cash elsewhere.

Sep 17, 2015 at 1:23 PM Post #4 of 13
  Also, in the interest of quantifying what exactly the magic of Multibit technology is... my opinion:

- Clarity, resolution; linear, even sounding; natural frequency response. The ability of the DAC to become a seamless conduit between the recording and your gear, imparting as little flaws as possible.

Flaws present in other DACs that the MB Gungnir and Yggy seem to improve upon, or not have:
- digital glare - includes treble crunch or compression of percussion frequencies
- emphasis of certain frequencies
- lean-sounding or thick sounding body = muddiness, anemic bass, or overall sharpness
- an overall laid-back signature, mostly characteristic of certain chips

The MB Gungnir is by no means absolutely the perfect DAC, however, it comes as close to perfect as I will ever personally need for the foreseeable future. The Yggdrasil is as good as digital will ever get, short of spending outrageous amounts of money, IMO. From that point onward, one could simply invest in their vinyl rig, or spend their cash elsewhere.

Thank you for your comments. I am still looking into all my options but your help is greatly appreciated in making a decision.

Sep 17, 2015 at 4:44 PM Post #5 of 13
No worries... I'd highly recommend giving it an audition someplace quiet, just to see how you feel about it. As with most DACs, the differences can be quite subtle, but also described as night/day by people always looking to improve their system :p

Sep 19, 2015 at 2:54 PM Post #7 of 13
Thanks for your thoughts on multi-bit. Sometimes new features add little in comparison to the price. Sounds like this is an upgrade worth serious consideration.

I never doubted it wouldnt be a worthwhile upgrade. I was trying to find out if the same care that makes the Yggy so well regarded was still being captured in this new upgrade to the Gungnir or if its not as special because its an upgrade and not designed from the very beginning to have this module.

Sep 21, 2015 at 12:30 PM Post #8 of 13
I currently have a Resonessence Labs Concero HD and am considering replacing it with the Gungnir MB. I'm currently running a Lyr 2 with Phillips Miniwatt NOS tubes but also have a Liquid Carbon on order, hence the interest in a balanced DAC. What differences should I expect to hear between the Gungnir MB and Concero HD?

Sep 21, 2015 at 9:48 PM Post #9 of 13
  I currently have a Resonessence Labs Concero HD and am considering replacing it with the Gungnir MB. I'm currently running a Lyr 2 with Phillips Miniwatt NOS tubes but also have a Liquid Carbon on order, hence the interest in a balanced DAC. What differences should I expect to hear between the Gungnir MB and Concero HD?

I've heard the Inivicta and own the MB Gungnir... My impression is that the MB Gungnir will most likely retain the level of overall clarity you're used to, while bringing forth more details, without sounding overly crisp, or any digital glare. Personally, I was left with the impression of a bit of glare from the Sabre 9018 myself, so it may take some getting used to the Multibit treble presentation. To my ears, it has no digital hash; it sounds much more resolved and natural sounding. Definitely NOT laid back in any fashion, just more like vinyl and less like other DS DACs.

I would also expect you may hear deeper bass, but it all depends. I haven't heard the Concero HD, so I'm just speculating. To me, the MB Gungnir shines at sounding extremely clear/resolving, with a touch of overall warmth and a very linear sound from top to bottom. Smoother overall than the Yggdrasil, with just a very touch less overall detail retrieval. It also took about 48 hours to completely reach thermal equilibrium, and I heard a difference in presentation in the 20 hour mark of playback. First power on, it was very crisp; 24-48 hours later much warmer; from then, details just started being resolved better and better; and less warmth.

All my impression- please give yourself the pleasure of a detailed audition if possible.

PS. I am a huge, huge fan of the Philips tubes. The Miniwatt's come a very close second in my books to the Philips 6922 Holland Pinched Waist tubes. This DAC reminds me of everything that I love about the pinched waist tubes, with better bass, better treble, and less overall midrange warmth. It offers a hell of a lot of details, and beautiful body/tonality.

Sep 22, 2015 at 2:17 PM Post #10 of 13
I like what they claim about Yggy, the end of game. Hope it can live up to the "hype".

Oct 6, 2015 at 12:53 PM Post #11 of 13
I realize this thread is about the yggy but,
I just ordered the new $399 bifrost,
But what would be different if I do or don't get the $250 upgrade latter?
What diffrence would that make or who is that mainly for?
Thanks!

Nov 7, 2015 at 9:43 AM Post #12 of 13
Crossposted from the MB Bifrost thread.

Local Schiit connect just left. Impressions as to Gumby vs Bimby in my main system(B&W, Anthem) without any poetry is as follows.

Balanced Gumby is much wider in sound stage/more holographic, a hell of a lot louder at any given knob position. It's also brighter, my amp and speakers are somewhat bright, on bright tracks this was a liability.

Bimby sound stage sounds cupped, detail retrieval is a wash between the two IMHO, I prefer the Bimby's warmer tonality, in my system it takes just enough edge off. If I could get the stage width of the Gumby and the tone of the Bimby, it would be perfect for me.

Bimby Vs Vinyl: using a Sys fed by my turntable and Bimby+Lyr 2 we got a fairly close level match on my JBLs and listen to FLAC of Depeche Mode-violator and Buena Vista Social Club, while playing the records and switching back and forth. Both were shocked at how good my yardsale deck, generic stylus, and a $30 phono pre sounded with clean well pressed vinyl. Sound stage of BVSC was superior on the turntable versus the Bimby. Bimby had IMHO better detail, but not by much.

My take away is there are pros and cons to both DAC, both are easily differentiated in terms of their sound. With my music, speakers, and electronics as much as the Gumby absolutely floored me in staging, I don't think I could live with the brightness. Now that I've heard both though, I'll always begrudge the smaller stage on the Bimby. The obvious solution is just buying a better turntable
atsmile.gif

Back to reality though, both the Gumby and Bimby are two of the most pleasing DAC's I've ever heard, they for lack of prose, sound more analog then any D/S DAC I've ever heard and they were both a joy to audition. If I had darker gear, and a deathwish in my domestic life I would buy a Gumby. But as it is, I think come this tax season a Bimby will be on my shortlist. It would live in my office system anyway where the cupped staging is much less noticeable nearfield.

Thanks so much to John and Brian.

Jan 20, 2016 at 11:53 PM Post #13 of 13
  Crossposted from the MB Bifrost thread.

Local Schiit connect just left. Impressions as to Gumby vs Bimby in my main system(B&W, Anthem) without any poetry is as follows.

Balanced Gumby is much wider in sound stage/more holographic, a hell of a lot louder at any given knob position. It's also brighter, my amp and speakers are somewhat bright, on bright tracks this was a liability.

Bimby sound stage sounds cupped, detail retrieval is a wash between the two IMHO, I prefer the Bimby's warmer tonality, in my system it takes just enough edge off. If I could get the stage width of the Gumby and the tone of the Bimby, it would be perfect for me.

Bimby Vs Vinyl: using a Sys fed by my turntable and Bimby+Lyr 2 we got a fairly close level match on my JBLs and listen to FLAC of Depeche Mode-violator and Buena Vista Social Club, while playing the records and switching back and forth. Both were shocked at how good my yardsale deck, generic stylus, and a $30 phono pre sounded with clean well pressed vinyl. Sound stage of BVSC was superior on the turntable versus the Bimby. Bimby had IMHO better detail, but not by much.

My take away is there are pros and cons to both DAC, both are easily differentiated in terms of their sound. With my music, speakers, and electronics as much as the Gumby absolutely floored me in staging, I don't think I could live with the brightness. Now that I've heard both though, I'll always begrudge the smaller stage on the Bimby. The obvious solution is just buying a better turntable
atsmile.gif

Back to reality though, both the Gumby and Bimby are two of the most pleasing DAC's I've ever heard, they for lack of prose, sound more analog then any D/S DAC I've ever heard and they were both a joy to audition. If I had darker gear, and a deathwish in my domestic life I would buy a Gumby. But as it is, I think come this tax season a Bimby will be on my shortlist. It would live in my office system anyway where the cupped staging is much less noticeable nearfield.

Thanks so much to John and Brian.

Have you tested the SE output? Is there an obvious difference between Gumby and Bimby?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back