Schiit Fulla and q701 Not enough bass
Nov 24, 2015 at 8:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

illbleed

Head-Fier
Hi,

Hopefully im posting in the correct place. I just recently received my fulla. So far i'm not that impressed, it sounds about as good as my astro mixamp sounds.
I did notice cleaner sounding music though, just not too much to really make me say wow. I was under the impression that having a dac/amp could help improve bass. Though i notice bass on my dt990 sound much nicer, but on the q701 not much of a difference. 
 Now my question is, if anyone could recommend some software that lets me add bass to my fulla for all of my uses on my computer. not just music. I have the razer surround pro, but it's given me a lot of weird problems, like the volume on my computers stop working, as well as youtube videos not playing. (though.. if i unplug the fulla it starts playing again? i'm not entirely sure whats that about.

Any programs similar to Razer Surround Pro that i can use? doesn't have to be only for gaming. Maybe i just bought the wrong dac/amp for my q701s. It sounds fine with my dt990s though.

Nov 30, 2015 at 1:29 AM Post #2 of 16
Q701s were never really known for their fantastic bass response whereas the DT990 has a V-shaped frequency response and would put out a good amount of bass with adequate power. I wouldn't blame the DAC/amp. If you want more bass I would ditch the 701s and get an HD650 which would complement your DT990 nicely. Nice midbass thump, lush midrange and a somewhat rolled off treble. They're presentations are different enough to warrant having both.
Both headphones will scale nicely with better upstream gear but neither are all that hard to drive to satisfying levels.

Nov 30, 2015 at 1:51 AM Post #4 of 16
You are going to have to experiment with EQ or try another set of cans. The Q701 is not that bassy and I feel ya on their lack of bass. I had to go to the AKG K712 Pro to get AKG to the level of bass I wanted and even then it is more of a balance than emphasis. The DDT990 is really colored in its sound signature and known for being both bassy and very bright.

The Q701 is a revealing headphone so if the track you are listening is not that bassy or does not have quality bass the Q701 will show it.

Try this track:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4P21vcCMe8

The bass kicks in around 50 seconds. If it sounds thin in the bass then it might be the amp, but if the Q701 is nice and bassy then you are probably just used to bass heavy tracks or the signature of the DT990.

Nov 30, 2015 at 1:52 AM Post #5 of 16
Dec 2, 2015 at 9:10 PM Post #6 of 16
Hey everyone, 

i really appreciate your responses. I'll check out the EQ APO right now. Sounds interesting.

So i've been really sitting down to see if i can hear a difference between the audio jack from my computer and laptop vs the schiit fulla. I was seriously expecting like a big clarity of sound and much more openness in soundstage. Clearer bass.. i get none of that. I guess i was imagening things when i said i could hear a difference, but really its very minor vs my mix amp vs the fulla. Really my computer does very similar sound than it. So i'm not sure what i'm too look to when im testing my dac/amp? Any suggestions?

Also i listened to the song, and i do hear nice bass, but i also hear it with just my regular inputs..

Dec 3, 2015 at 1:37 PM Post #9 of 16
They should sound similar. A good amp should sound good be it from Schiit or anyone else. They will often sound very similar especially if they are solid state because the architecture and design can be similar. There is filtering involved which can shape the sound too, but the many entry level amps sound very similar. Never expect miracles in audio and always test gear like you have done. Sometimes things do not actually improve the sound quality and without testing and listening it is really a guess.

Things to listen for when upgrading amps and DACs.

1.)  Cleaners sound floor
With nothing playing and the gear on can you hear noise coming from the gear? At high volumes with no music playing can you hear noise? The better gear will not have any audible noise at any volume level with no music playing.

2.) Does the bass sound cleaner and more punchy? Better gear will better control the bass because this is the fundamental and hardest frequency to control for a headphone. Poorly designed amps will sound lean or very flabby in the bass.

Dec 9, 2015 at 2:04 AM Post #10 of 16
  They should sound similar. A good amp should sound good be it from Schiit or anyone else. They will often sound very similar especially if they are solid state because the architecture and design can be similar. There is filtering involved which can shape the sound too, but the many entry level amps sound very similar. Never expect miracles in audio and always test gear like you have done. Sometimes things do not actually improve the sound quality and without testing and listening it is really a guess.

Things to listen for when upgrading amps and DACs.

1.)  Cleaners sound floor
With nothing playing and the gear on can you hear noise coming from the gear? At high volumes with no music playing can you hear noise? The better gear will not have any audible noise at any volume level with no music playing.

2.) Does the bass sound cleaner and more punchy? Better gear will better control the bass because this is the fundamental and hardest frequency to control for a headphone. Poorly designed amps will sound lean or very flabby in the bass.

Hi,

at about half volume is when i notice noise when i have no music playing. The bass sounds pretty identical. Not much changed. I may run some more tests and see if i notice anything again. 

Someone is offering me to trade my schiit fulla for their racoon sg-200. I dont know if its worth a trade as i know very little about dac/amps. Any advice here? is it good, better than my fulla? worse?

heres a link.. 
http://www.amazon.com/RACOON-Shange-SG200-High-Quality-Headphone/dp/B00ZTU15AA

Dec 9, 2015 at 12:42 PM Post #11 of 16
Someone is offering me to trade my schiit fulla for their racoon sg-200. I dont know if its worth a trade as i know very little about dac/amps. Any advice here? is it good, better than my fulla? worse?  
heres a link.. 
http://www.amazon.com/RACOON-Shange-SG200-High-Quality-Headphone/dp/B00ZTU15AA

Could be an interesting trade. Looks like it has more output power. Bear in mind that it has tubes in it, though, and the output impedance is 10 ohms, which is fairly high, so it could cause issues with lower impedance headphones.

Dec 9, 2015 at 1:32 PM Post #12 of 16

Could be an interesting trade. Looks like it has more output power. Bear in mind that it has tubes in it, though, and the output impedance is 10 ohms, which is fairly high, so it could cause issues with lower impedance headphones.

So will my dt990s and q701s be okay with this? im assuming my audio-tech m50 would be a bad idea with this.

Thanks for the reply :D.

Dec 9, 2015 at 2:52 PM Post #13 of 16
  So will my dt990s and q701s be okay with this? im assuming my audio-tech m50 would be a bad idea with this.

Thanks for the reply :D.

The Q701 is 62 ohms and the M50 is 38 ohms. The DT 990 is available in various impedances. Let me know which one you have.

The lower the output impedance of the amplifier, the less it will “feel” and be affected by the load reactance (phase angles).

It is the ratio of the output impedance of the amp to the load impedance of the headphones that results in the “damping factor” of the system. Damping factor is the load impedance divided by the source impedance. As a rule of thumb, a damping factor of 10 or more is desirable for the source to be able to drive the load with authority. For example, if the amp has an output impedance of 10 ohms, you want the headphones to be at least 100 ohms or more in order for the amp to make the headphone driver move accurately with the audio signal.

Here are some more resources about the technical stuff:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damping_factor
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/musings-headphone-amplifier-output-impedance

Dec 9, 2015 at 3:32 PM Post #14 of 16

The Q701 is 62 ohms and the M50 is 38 ohms. The DT 990 is available in various impedances. Let me know which one you have.

Here are some more resources about the technical stuff:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damping_factor
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/musings-headphone-amplifier-output-impedance

Hm.. thats really interesting stuff. Thank you for the links.

My dt990 pros are 250 ohms. Right now though im mostly using my q701s because i like the soundstage better on these for gaming. but not pleased with the fulla and sounds too similar to my astro mixamp. 

It looks like the schiit fulla have an output impedance of 0.4 ohm. Does that mean the racoon would benefit me much more? Sorry, trying to wrap my head around this information.

Dec 9, 2015 at 3:36 PM Post #15 of 16
  Hm.. thats really interesting stuff. Thank you for the links.

My dt990 pros are 250 ohms. Right now though im mostly using my q701s because i like the soundstage better on these for gaming. but not pleased with the fulla and sounds too similar to my astro mixamp. 

That's why I mentioned that parametric equalizer. You can easily increase the bass with it at no cost.

(The Schiit Fulla has a neutral frequency response and enough power to drive most headphones, so it's not the fault of your amp/DAC; it's the headphones.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back