Schiit Fulla 2, Modi 2/Magni 3, or other DAC/amp for HD58X?
Aug 14, 2018 at 4:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

TRapz

500+ Head-Fier
I just purchased the HD58X this past week and I'm looking for a computer DAC/amp to use with my 2017 Macbook Air. I currently own a Fiio X1 (1st gen) and a Fiio E12A, which I enjoy, but these can't be used for listening from my computer.

I'm currently considering the Fulla 2, which I've heard should be plenty powerful for the HD58X. However, I'm wondering if the Modi 2/Magni 3 stack is worth it for a boost in SQ (I hear the HD58X scales well), or if something under $200 would be a good choice to pair with them.

Thanks for your help!

Aug 14, 2018 at 9:00 PM Post #3 of 8
The schiit stack is a great start in the world of desktop amps. My only advice is that you visit the 58X forum and find if it pairs better with tubes (as many Sennheisers). In that case get the Vali 2

Aug 15, 2018 at 2:53 AM Post #5 of 8
What kind of sound do tubes deliver?
Generally tube sound is a bit warmer than what you get with solid state amps.

They can take the edge off if you consider your headphones sibilant or just too bright. Warmer sounding headphones can get a bit too warm or muddy.

Aug 15, 2018 at 6:00 AM Post #6 of 8
I love tubes (late convert) but they're definitely not for everyone or every type of music, particularly if you like your sound 'clinical'. It's worth listening to a set if you can to give yourself an idea. Alas I've never heard the 59x's so can't comment.

Aug 16, 2018 at 12:40 AM Post #7 of 8
I just purchased the HD58X this past week and I'm looking for a computer DAC/amp to use with my 2017 Macbook Air. I currently own a Fiio X1 (1st gen) and a Fiio E12A, which I enjoy, but these can't be used for listening from my computer.

AFAIK X1 can run as a USB DAC if docked into the K5 if not also the DK1 dock. Either get the K5 or ask Fiio if it can work as a DAC when on the DK1. If it does then just get a 3.5mm to RCA cable and some other desktop amp, like a Schiit Magni3.

Aug 16, 2018 at 12:55 AM Post #8 of 8
Generally tube sound is a bit warmer than what you get with solid state amps.

They can take the edge off if you consider your headphones sibilant or just too bright. Warmer sounding headphones can get a bit too warm or muddy.
Thank you. I think I have decided on the dac/amp I am going to go with for now. I have read pretty great reviews about the NFB-11.28 so I am going to give that a go. I may purchase a tube on the side eventually just to kill the cat but I "hope" that I can be very happy with the NFB-11. Now, as i' said elsewhere, I have to sell all my audio equipment (Magni 2 Uber and a few headphones and pads) which I am done with or haven't even touched so I can put it towards the next purchase.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back