Schiit Freya Impressions and Tube Rolling Thread
Apr 24, 2024 at 7:24 PM Post #3,226 of 3,233
As for the setting on the Freya+, I tried buffer LED and tube LED mode and the output selection either the differential buffer at 0db gain and the tube gain at 12-13.5dB gain. I haven't touch the volume on my power amp.
Curious about this part ...
When you say you haven't touch[ed] the volume on my power amp, does that mean it's at 100% when using the Freya+ as the preamp?
You basically have two volume pots in the mix and one of them should be at or near max volume so the other can be used for adjusting to the listening level.
Generally it's the amp that gets set to 90-100% of max, and then the Freya is used to set the listening level.

Apr 25, 2024 at 6:08 AM Post #3,227 of 3,233
This is my first pre-amp, so I guess my understanding of its functionality was wrong. I set my power amp volume normally at 10-11 o' clock position less than half of their max volume. So, I should max out the volume pot on either my pre-amp or power-amp and use whichever one to control the overall volume? Does having a tube amp or power amp at max volume shorten out the lifespan of the tubes? Thanks, for bringing up the volume pot to my understanding.

My initial understanding for pre-amp is it has gain volume which will increase the overall volume compares to a stand-alone power amp.

20240425_055926.jpg
20240425_060859.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2024 at 6:10 AM Post #3,228 of 3,233
Hello everyone, just received my Freya+ today and decided to fire it up. I am not sure if I am connecting it wrong or just the unit itself even at max volume on the Freya+ --> Decware torii MK5 the listening volume is much lower than without Freya+ in the system.
Also test this with my headphone setup Freya+ --> Eksonic Aeras, the volume is noticeable lower. I am not sure if burning it in will solve this problem. This is a B-stock item just for your information.
Thanks for any input everyone.
Is Mute on (leftmost LED of the group of three left of the volume control will be lit when muted)? Pls remember to turn down volume before un-muting…

Also when changing gain modes (passive / fet buffer / differential tube gain) the output may be momentarily muted and Status LED on right side will blink.

(Added)
Volume setting should not reduce tube life. On Freya+ and Freya N switching to either the passive or FET buffer (1x) Gain Mode turns off the tubes.

The passive attenuator (relay-switched resistor) volume controls on Ragnarok, Freya, Saga series have a different taper than conventional controls and often need dial settings at 12 o’clock or higher.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sch...most-improbable-start-up.701900/post-15008530

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2024 at 6:54 AM Post #3,229 of 3,233
This is my first pre-amp, so I guess my understanding of its functionality was wrong. I set my power amp volume normally at 10-11 o' clock position less than half of their max volume. So, I should max out the volume pot on either my pre-amp or power-amp and use whichever one to control the overall volume? Does having a tube amp or power amp at max volume shorten out the lifespan of the tubes? Thanks, for bringing up the volume pot to my understanding.

Hi…not sure if you cleared this all up yet. Separates are the BEST in my world…more choices…more control, more fun.. ….also more complicated… 😀…You are in a learning curve right now.
I think of it like this…my pre amp is "The Boss"…it drives and controls my power amp. The pre amp is "The Brains". 🧠… In my world I would put the volume knob(s) on the power amp on "Full Volume"…and just forget about them…like they don’t exist any more. The pre amp will now control that amp…just MAKE SURE you have the mute button off and the volume knob kicked way back on your Freya when you start this set-up.
I make it a habit to turn my Freya volume down low at the end of each listening session so I have no "surprise" on my next outing. Also, be careful when switching to tube mode during a listening session, as the preamp's gain (volume) jumps up quite a bit…(and once you switch to tube mode the tubes have to warm-up 30 sec. before the circuit connects…cool feature…and during that warm-up you CANNOT adjust the Freya Volume…so I make it a habit to kick the volume back a bit BEFORE I switch to tube mode.) You will just form new habits and it becomes second nature.
I currently have a McIntosh MC152 Power Amp. It has no volume controls. …but, before this I had a Bob Carver Power Amp and PreAmp…. The Bob Carver Power Amp had left and right volume knobs. For 40 years I left them on full volume and controlled the amp with the preamp. (Yes…I am old 😀)..The amp was fine. I sold it recently for more than I bought it for! 👍🏼
If you want to be extra careful, contact your power amp manufacturer and ask them the best procedure for your amp with The Freya, but I think what I described is standard practice with separates. Possibly, if you had super sensitive speakers (sensitivity @95 or more ), you may want to kick the volume back a bit on the power amp…but I have never had speakers that sensitive.
Anyone feel free to jump in and correct me if I am in error, here. I am just relating my experiences.
Hope this helps you.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2024 at 7:05 AM Post #3,230 of 3,233
Hi…not sure if you cleared this all up yet. Separates are the.BEST in my world…more choices…more control, more fun.. ….also more complicated… 😀…You are in a learning curve right now.
I think of it like this…my pre amp is "The Boss"…it drives and controls my power amp. The pre amp is "The Brains". 🧠… In my world I would put the volume knob(s) on the power amp on "Full Volume"…and just forget about them…like they don’t exist any more. The pre amp will now control that amp…just MAKE SURE you have the mute button off and the volume knob kicked way back on your Freya when you start this set-up.
I make it a habit to turn my Freya volume down low at the end of each listening session so I have no "surprise" on my next outing. Also, be careful when switching to tube mode during a listening session, as the preamp's gain (volume) jumps up quite a bit…(and once you switch to tube mode the tubes have to warm-up 30 sec. before the circuit connects…cool feature…and during that warm-up you CANNOT adjust the Freya Volume…so I make it a habit to kick the volume back a bit BEFORE I switch to tube mode.) You will just form new habits and it becomes second nature.
I currently have a McIntosh MC152 Power Amp. It has no volume controls. …but, before this I had a Bob Carver Power Amp and PreAmp…. The Bob Carver Power Amp had left and right volume knobs. For 40 years I left them on full volume and controlled the amp with the preamp. (Yes…I am old 😀)..The amp was fine. I sold it recently for more than I bought it for! 👍🏼
If you want to be extra careful, contact your power amp manufacturer and ask them the best procedure for your amp with The Freya, but I think what I described is standard practice with separates.
Anyone feel free to jump in and correct me if I am in error, here. I am just relating my experiences.
Hope this helps you.
Nope, think you nailed it. Max out the power amp volumes (there might be two on his amp) and forget it exists. Then use just Freya to control volume. And I ALWAYS turn the freya volume knob to zero before shutting it off or switching modes. It's part of my routine now.

Here is a picture from the decware manual
IMG_3788.jpeg

Apr 25, 2024 at 7:11 AM Post #3,231 of 3,233
Nope, think you nailed it. Max out the power amp volumes (there might be two on his amp) and forget it exists. Then use just Freya to control volume. And I ALWAYS turn the freya volume knob to zero before shutting it off or switching modes. It's part of my routine now.

Here is a picture from the decware manual
Interesting…I did not notice a change in "sound quality" on my Carver gear by playing around with those volume controls, but then…I was never listening 👂🏼 for one! 😀. I just learned something new. THANKS!

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2024 at 12:45 PM Post #3,232 of 3,233
Thanks everyone for the clarification. Here is what Steve replied back:

Industry standard for a digital source is 2 volts. The input sensitivity of the TORII MK5 is around 2 volts. It can come to full power without a preamp in most cases. A preamp is used for gain structuring by playing one volume control against the other. Start with the amp turned all the way up and use the preamp to control volume and then experiment from there.

Tube life is not affected.

Steve : )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back