Schiit Folkvangr - Impressions Thread
Jan 17, 2024 at 12:14 AM Post #1,412 of 1,487
Thought I would share this evening’s activity- FLAC recordings of instrumental jazz through a Bifrost2 -> Shiit Saga -> Folkvangr -> ZMF Verite Closed.

Accessories include fireplace with fire, lab dog sleeping in front of the fire, a Hendricks martini, ekornes leather seat and 5 above zero outside.

It’s times like this when life feels pretty good.

IMG_0276.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2024 at 12:20 AM Post #1,413 of 1,487
Thought I would share this evening’s activity- FLAC recordings of instrumental jazz through a Bifrost2 -> Shiit Saga -> Folkvangr -> ZMF Verite Closed.

Accessories include fireplace with fire, lab dog sleeping in front of the fire, a Hendricks martini, ekornes leather seat and 5 above zero outside.

It’s times like this when life feels pretty good.

IMG_0276.jpeg
Why not letting your bifrost feed FV directly?

Jan 17, 2024 at 12:21 AM Post #1,414 of 1,487
Why not letting your bifrost feed FV directly?
It picks up a couple other sources, but mostly for the remote. A strong martini introduces a certain amount of couch lock.

Jan 21, 2024 at 12:25 PM Post #1,415 of 1,487
Went to the Schittr yesterday and picked up my new Yggdrasil+ OG that is replacing my Biforst 2/64. I was only going to listen to some music (Tidal and Quboz) for 30 minutes and 2 hours later my wife of 37 years asked me if I was going to spend any time with her. Needless to say I was enjoying what I was hearing. The Bifrost 2/64 sounded good but now the same songs just sound great with more tone and as if I am sitting in front of the singers and the seperation of the instruments. Reading on the forum it appears with additional burn in the Yggy will only sound better. I am very happy with what I am hearing and has elevated the sound the Folkvangr and Mjolnir 3 produce.
Yggy+OG with risers.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2024 at 1:11 PM Post #1,416 of 1,487
Went to the Schittr yesterday and picked up my new Yggdrasil+ OG that is replacing my Biforst 2/64. I was only going to listen to some music (Tidal and Quboz) for 30 minutes and 2 hours later my wife of 37 years asked me if I was going to spend any time with her. Needless to say I was enjoying what I was hearing. The Bifrost 2/64 sounded good but now the same songs just sound great with more tone and as if I am sitting in front of the singers and the seperation of the instruments. Reading on the forum it appears with additional burn in the Yggy will only sound better. I am very happy with what I am hearing and has elevated the sound the Folkvangr and Mjolnir 3 produce. Yggy+OG with risers.jpg
Well that’s disappointing to hear. I’ve been trying to convince myself for a while now that the Yggy isn’t a worthwhile upgrade from my BF2

Jan 22, 2024 at 9:34 AM Post #1,417 of 1,487
Went to the Schittr yesterday and picked up my new Yggdrasil+ OG that is replacing my Biforst 2/64. I was only going to listen to some music (Tidal and Quboz) for 30 minutes and 2 hours later my wife of 37 years asked me if I was going to spend any time with her. Needless to say I was enjoying what I was hearing. The Bifrost 2/64 sounded good but now the same songs just sound great with more tone and as if I am sitting in front of the singers and the seperation of the instruments. Reading on the forum it appears with additional burn in the Yggy will only sound better. I am very happy with what I am hearing and has elevated the sound the Folkvangr and Mjolnir 3 produce. Yggy+OG with risers.jpg
That is highly asymmetric!!! The notes are just going to fall over themselves until you rectify the situation and replace that Loki with a Loki Max! Then, symmetry will be restored and you will settle into Nirvana. Your ears will truly thank you. Your wife...probably not! :relaxed:

Jan 24, 2024 at 7:39 PM Post #1,418 of 1,487
Had the audio cut out a couple times while listening last night. I have to assume it's either the over current or heat protection kicking in...? The chassis didn't feel too warm to the touch, I could comfortable keep my hand on the top. I was using a pair of Grados at the time, so volume was in the lower 1/3 of the dial, low gain. After about an hour of listening, the audio just randomly cut out, with a click. About 20 seconds later it came back, was fine for another ten minutes or so and did it once more. Afterward was fine for the rest of the evening.

Months ago, I had this happen once before. It happened right as I was switching the gain switch back and forth a few times to compare the differences.

Without being able to reliable recreate the issue, I'm hesitant to spend the time and money to send it back for repair. Though with my luck, if I wait, I'll probably have it go total fubar a week after the warranty period expires. Before I reach out to Schiit, I thought I'd check with the community, and see if anyone else has experienced similar issues?

Jan 24, 2024 at 9:47 PM Post #1,419 of 1,487
Had the audio cut out a couple times while listening last night. I have to assume it's either the over current or heat protection kicking in...? The chassis didn't feel too warm to the touch, I could comfortable keep my hand on the top. I was using a pair of Grados at the time, so volume was in the lower 1/3 of the dial, low gain. After about an hour of listening, the audio just randomly cut out, with a click. About 20 seconds later it came back, was fine for another ten minutes or so and did it once more. Afterward was fine for the rest of the evening.

Months ago, I had this happen once before. It happened right as I was switching the gain switch back and forth a few times to compare the differences.

Without being able to reliable recreate the issue, I'm hesitant to spend the time and money to send it back for repair. Though with my luck, if I wait, I'll probably have it go total fubar a week after the warranty period expires. Before I reach out to Schiit, I thought I'd check with the community, and see if anyone else has experienced similar issues?
Before reaching out to Schiit, are you sure it wasn’t the headphones cable or maybe a 1/4” adapter?

Jan 24, 2024 at 10:02 PM Post #1,420 of 1,487

Also check the connection to your DAC and your gain tubes. Make sure they are seated. Since there's not much between tube and heaphone, it's either a heaphone jack, gain tube, or input issue.

Don't send it back until the problem is persistent.

Jan 26, 2024 at 4:10 PM Post #1,421 of 1,487
Haven't seen anyone discuss pairing this amplifier with Fostex TH900's, so I thought I'd comment. I'm terrible with describing how things sound, and I'm not sure if there are "better" pairings, but to me they sound amazing with this setup.

It seems well established that the Sennheiser HD 800 S's are a good pairing for this amp, and so far the Fostex's are doing just about everything better - the clarity, the separation, the sub-bass, I'm hearing new things in songs that I didn't know were there, the only thing I'm missing is the larger soundstage of the Sennheisers. I picked these up on a whim thinking I'd probably return them, and now I think they're going to replace my Sennheisers.

I have the TH-900mk2 Onyx Black version, which I believe has their "anniversary tuning". I can't comment how that varies between their normal tuning, but I can say they sound great.

I have my FV set to low gain + impedance multiplier on.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2024 at 6:01 PM Post #1,422 of 1,487
Before reaching out to Schiit, are you sure it wasn’t the headphones cable or maybe a 1/4” adapter?

Yeah, the first time this happened I tried with another pair of headphones that terminated in 1/4" TRS. Then tried plugging them into another amp was able to hear, so I'm confident it's in the FV unit itself.

When it happens it makes the exact same sort of click that you hear (both through the headphones, and in the room) when other Schiit products swap sources or when they unmute after the initial warmup. I assume that's some sort of relay or protection circuit tripping. It does not make any click or sound when the audio comes back on its own moments later.

Jan 26, 2024 at 6:23 PM Post #1,423 of 1,487
Yeah, the first time this happened I tried with another pair of headphones that terminated in 1/4" TRS. Then tried plugging them into another amp was able to hear, so I'm confident it's in the FV unit itself.

When it happens it makes the exact same sort of click that you hear (both through the headphones, and in the room) when other Schiit products swap sources or when they unmute after the initial warmup. I assume that's some sort of relay or protection circuit tripping. It does not make any click or sound when the audio comes back on its own moments later.

That's a bit bizarre. You can always reach out to Schiit as well. Unfortunately, wildley intermittent issues are incredibly hard to diagnose.

Jan 26, 2024 at 8:28 PM Post #1,424 of 1,487
Haven't seen anyone discuss pairing this amplifier with Fostex TH900's, so I thought I'd comment. I'm terrible with describing how things sound, and I'm not sure if there are "better" pairings, but to me they sound amazing with this setup.

It seems well established that the Sennheiser HD 800 S's are a good pairing for this amp, and so far the Fostex's are doing just about everything better - the clarity, the separation, the sub-bass, I'm hearing new things in songs that I didn't know were there, the only thing I'm missing is the larger soundstage of the Sennheisers. I picked these up on a whim thinking I'd probably return them, and now I think they're going to replace my Sennheisers.

I have the TH-900mk2 Onyx Black version, which I believe has their "anniversary tuning". I can't comment how that varies between their normal tuning, but I can say they sound great.

I have my FV set to low gain + impedance multiplier on.
This is one of the pairings I was interested in, good to know the sub bass still kicks since it’s one of the things I loved about it. I haven’t had too much time with them but treble has always been a talking about it and its sibling, was the Folk able to tame it a bit?

Jan 26, 2024 at 8:32 PM Post #1,425 of 1,487

Hmm, your right it sounds like some protection kicking in.

It’s possible because something is happening (the click) when it cuts out Schiit may have some ideas on what you could check?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back