Schiit Folkvangr - Impressions Thread
Sep 30, 2023 at 10:10 PM Post #1,381 of 1,487
Attended the SOCAL Can Jam today and listended to the MJ3 connected to a Yiggy+ OG. I used my headphones (Denon AH-D9200) and I really enjoyed the sound the combination produced. It was not dull sounding, not overly bright, and great bass. While it is in the upper price range for Schitt, I prefered the sound over others at the show that cost twice to three times as much. I went back several times and even had my wife listen to the setup and she agreed. On a plus side I met and spoke with Jason. Great time at the Can Jam.

Now the dilemma, arriving home from the show one of the first order of business was to listen to the Folk and the Bifrost 2/64 using the same song (Fleetwood Mac, The Chain). While it sounded great the edge goes to the MJ3 and Yiggy+ OG. The MJ3 and Yiggy sounds richer and fuller if that makes sense. Speaking with the rep from Schiit he believes the lower impedance (24 ohms) of my Denon AH-D9200 may be the issue since the Folkvangr works better with higher impedance headphones. I am contemplating buying the Yiggy+ OG first and see what that does to the sound.

Attachments

• IMG_7299.jpg
    IMG_7299.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
Sep 30, 2023 at 10:33 PM Post #1,382 of 1,487
Attended the SOCAL Can Jam today and listended to the MJ3 connected to a Yiggy+ OG. I used my headphones (Denon AH-D9200) and I really enjoyed the sound the combination produced. It was not dull sounding, not overly bright, and great bass. While it is in the upper price range for Schitt, I prefered the sound over others at the show that cost twice to three times as much. I went back several times and even had my wife listen to the setup and she agreed. On a plus side I met and spoke with Jason. Great time at the Can Jam.

Now the dilemma, arriving home from the show one of the first order of business was to listen to the Folk and the Bifrost 2/64 using the same song (Fleetwood Mac, The Chain). While it sounded great the edge goes to the MJ3 and Yiggy+ OG. The MJ3 and Yiggy sounds richer and fuller if that makes sense. Speaking with the rep from Schiit he believes the lower impedance (24 ohms) of my Denon AH-D9200 may be the issue since the Folkvangr works better with higher impedance headphones. I am contemplating buying the Yiggy+ OG first and see what that does to the sound.
Respectfully disagree with the vendor. (1) you could use the FV’s impedance multiplier if that were the issue, but perhaps more relevant: (2) Grados are low impedance and synergize really well with FV. It’s not just the impedance.

Oct 1, 2023 at 12:58 AM Post #1,383 of 1,487

Some headphones sound great with FV (Grado, Focal), some sound great with MJ3 (DCA, ZMF) and clearly you can see impedance matching isn't the only consideration!

Generally, MJ3 is a better amplifier than FV, but FV's warmer, more forgiving nature is great for lots of music and long listening sessions.

Also MJ3 tends to have such great dynamics I play it very loud, and I worry about my hearing.

Oct 1, 2023 at 7:04 AM Post #1,384 of 1,487

The impedance multiplier works well yes, but the topology of the FV does favor higher impedance headphones.

I didn’t notice a massive difference between the Yggy OG and BF2 on the FV. You got almost 3% THD+N running high gain and impedance multiplier on with low impedance headphones. It goes down to 0.3% on low gain and impedance multiplier. The added detail of the Yggy could get lost either way.

I'd get the MJ3 first unless you are using the Yggy for more than just headphones. The Yggy does best with 2 channel audio.

Oct 1, 2023 at 10:57 AM Post #1,385 of 1,487
Ya, FV works okay with most low impedance headphones, but I found other ss amps (even cheaper ones) may drive them to a better level easily.

FV and MJ3 sound very differently to my ear. They will compensate each other very well if you can manage keeping both.

Oct 26, 2023 at 6:01 PM Post #1,386 of 1,487
I was using my Valhalla for tubes while the FV was in for repair, and while I used to love the Valhalla, it just doesn't cut it anymore after having the FV.

How would you characterize the biggest differences between the two?

Oct 26, 2023 at 9:01 PM Post #1,387 of 1,487
How would you characterize the biggest differences between the two?
More of everything. Details, dynamics, slam, holography, and overall presentation. Valhalla is nice, Folkvangr is amazing. And, you aren’t limited with headphone choices with FV.

Oct 31, 2023 at 3:18 PM Post #1,388 of 1,487
My FV died today; I shipped it off to Schiit for repair. While taking out the tubes, I noticed some reddish-purple fluffy stuff caking up the grills above where it appears a connector melted from what I could make out looking through the grill with a flashlight. A few tube sockets also have some brownish burn marks.

Nov 13, 2023 at 11:34 PM Post #1,389 of 1,487
Evening gents. Dropping a line to see if anyone is interested in trading (or selling) their black Folkvangr to a brother with a couple of ampsandsound pieces to offer.

If so please hit me up!

Nov 20, 2023 at 11:24 PM Post #1,390 of 1,487
My FV died today; I shipped it off to Schiit for repair. While taking out the tubes, I noticed some reddish-purple fluffy stuff caking up the grills above where it appears a connector melted from what I could make out looking through the grill with a flashlight. A few tube sockets also have some brownish burn marks.
20 days door to door and back cooking again. Similar to others: tube heater connection failed, deleted Molex connector, and direct-soldered to repair.

Nov 25, 2023 at 2:11 AM Post #1,391 of 1,487
Ya, FV works okay with most low impedance headphones, but I found other ss amps (even cheaper ones) may drive them to a better level easily.

FV and MJ3 sound very differently to my ear. They will compensate each other very well if you can manage keeping both.

Have you tried the MJ3 as a preamp into the FV synergistically? Or Vice-versa? I’ll be getting a MJ3 here in a few weeks, curious how they play well together (also ordered a Kara as well for when I don’t want to completely radiate the whole room).

Nov 25, 2023 at 1:39 PM Post #1,392 of 1,487
Have you tried the MJ3 as a preamp into the FV synergistically? Or Vice-versa? I’ll be getting a MJ3 here in a few weeks, curious how they play well together (also ordered a Kara as well for when I don’t want to completely radiate the whole room).
I preamp the FV out of a Rag2 out of convenience. Works great.

Tried MJ3 out of curiosity. Other than warming up the room, nothing to write home about.

Nov 25, 2023 at 10:52 PM Post #1,394 of 1,487
This is a pet pieve of. Cool those space heaters we all love... When solder joints and you see burnt brownish marks on wires and boards… near the tubes... Sorry your beloved tube unit is compromised. I know. I use monitor my tubes and boards... But i was trained at AT&T in the 70s heat was as problematic with equimeant the runs 24/7and building cooling was sat at 74°degrees was Max in on thru all equipment bays. Of course We had tubes before solid state Western Electric, they tended last forever. We the People just froze… Equitment first. I main gist. Cooling equipment running in small or tight enclosures think Hurricane winds or how a cooling chimney might work… heated air drawn up and away,,, design acrylic container holes… away from animals fingers and you get to drilled to draw air in Boxer fans to draw air out. Seeing your monster 8-tube running cool… it means circuit boards might not fry… no guarantee the tubes will last longer… the design is the design… are your tube amps running 24/7? No. I'll bet each one of you touched your tube amp / preamp. Too see how hot the case got and you noted how long your session was. Not to be a jokester tubes require heat but I sat not a fire...?

Schiit MJ3... Amazon (Fan was perfect fit atop the Mj3 Class A headphone amp… and dead quiet) AC Infinity Aircom S9 Quite Cooling Fan System 17” Top-Exhaust for Receivers, Amps, DVR, AV Cabinet Components ~ Three Super Quite Boxer Fans

System: Magnetar UPD-800. Transport; Schiit Loki Max; Digital converter box HDMI DSD coax; Schliit Bifrost 2/24; Schiit FYR*; Schiit Mjolnir 3; Dan Clark Ether Flow C 1.1 Closed. (2 years ago this was DCs flagship model… Amazon had one in stock... Good discount… Dan Clark Aeon 2 Noire, closed. RCA connects HDMI coax 75 Ohm cables. Head phone cables silver throughout.
— ☈

Attachments

• IMG_8358.jpeg
    IMG_8358.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
Nov 26, 2023 at 8:28 AM Post #1,395 of 1,487
I didn't try to use them feed each other because my Yggy could feed them both. I think it's better to make the chain simpler unless you have volume issue.

I did once use FV to feed my speaker amp, I prefer it over Freya+, but this could be personal.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back