Schiit Folkvangr - Impressions Thread
Oct 14, 2022 at 9:16 AM Post #871 of 1,487
I've been looking into upgrading the DAC driving my FV (currently using the Monoprice 788), and was looking at the Yggdrasil and BF2/64. Jason caught me a bit off guard in the stream last night when he mentioned that the combination of the liveliness of a Multibit DAC with the Folkvangr "might be a bit much". Does anybody here have one of these pairings? What are your impressions?
Hi @ScotchNeat - I own the BF2/64 (upgraded my OG BF2 if that matters) and I own the Gumby. I need to watch thats stream to get a bit more context... so hard to respond to Jason's comment -- did he recommend another DAC for the FV? but what I can say is my experience the pairing the FV + MB DAC is great. I'm more of an analog guy (I know, I'm sick - help me!) but I do listen to digital quite a bit.

Have I a/b tested the FV with a Sigma Delta DAC? No.

Do I sometimes dream about listening to my ZMF VO + FV + Gumby + Allo Gigione Signature streamer w/Shanti power supply + Roon + HiRes version of Kendrick Lamar's "Mr. Morale and The Big Steppers" -- Yes!

Oct 14, 2022 at 9:45 AM Post #872 of 1,487
Hi @ScotchNeat - I own the BF2/64 (upgraded my OG BF2 if that matters) and I own the Gumby. I need to watch thats stream to get a bit more context... so hard to respond to Jason's comment -- did he recommend another DAC for the FV? but what I can say is my experience the pairing the FV + MB DAC is great.

Thanks for the quick response! It was in the context of discussing the Singularity (new less-bits/1-bit FPGA-based DAC technology they're working on) and where it might fit. It sounded like that type of "just the facts" DAC might be a better match for an amp like the FV that is already pretty lively.

Oct 14, 2022 at 10:09 AM Post #873 of 1,487
I've been looking into upgrading the DAC driving my FV (currently using the Monoprice 788), and was looking at the Yggdrasil and BF2/64. Jason caught me a bit off guard in the stream last night when he mentioned that the combination of the liveliness of a Multibit DAC with the Folkvangr "might be a bit much". Does anybody here have one of these pairings? What are your impressions?
I run a Yggdrasil OG with my Folkvangr and really enjoy it. I would never have called it “too lively “. But the Yggdrasil has been my main DAC for the last 4 years so maybe I’m just acclimated to it. Comparing the Folkvangr to my Ragnarok 2 connected to same DAC: the Folkvangr definitely seems more 3D. Smoother with bigger soundstage. The Ragnarok hits harder in the bass region and is maybe a tad faster. Of course tubes used will affect this comparison.

Oct 14, 2022 at 10:23 AM Post #874 of 1,487
I use the Folkvangr together with Gungnir (multibit current version, ordered together with the Folkvangr), and love the combo.
My HD6XX never sounded better :L3000:

Oct 14, 2022 at 11:34 AM Post #875 of 1,487

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2022 at 5:21 PM Post #876 of 1,487
Thanks - wanting to listen more is really what it is all about... so many great recs. I actually have 2 sets of Amperex Bugles that I had in my Wa2 that I have been testing out in the Folkvangr this week. These the NOS Teles your referring to? https://www.telefunken-elektroakustik.com/product/e88cc-tk-6922
I got a tube dealer based out of SoCal. He's a great guy, very fair and trustworthy. He mentioned some "BEL E88CC" (https://www.tubeampdoctor.com/en/e88cc-aka6922-bel-gold-pins/nos-nib) which are supposed to be very similar to the Amperex or Mullard 6922 made in the Heerlen plant. I had these tubes in my Mjolnir 2 (sold that amp and those tubes were part of the package) and they were quite warm/euphonic (in a good way) from my recollection. I might try those out for the Folkvangr. But also curious about the Teles you mentioned and the Tungsram E88CC that have been recommended on this thread.

Yep, those are the Teles -- mine were used briefly in a preamp and sounded very clean in that usage.

I also have a few Tungsrams and (I think) a pair of RFTs to try this weekend. Will try to report back.

Oct 14, 2022 at 10:32 PM Post #877 of 1,487
I finally caught up FedEx and received my Folkvangr yesterday.

I tried it briefly against Feliks Echo MKII and Oor+Hypsos using VO, HD650, TH909, Diana Phi. Both Folkvangr and Echo are on their stock tubes.

VO and HD650 sounded great on all three amps. My initial impression was that FV had a warmer sound and larger soundstage comparing to Echo (maybe also a bit more details), but Echo still sounded so sweet especially on female voice. Although I mentally intended to like FV more, there is really no clear winner between these two to me by far, just different flavours. Considering Echo only cost 1/2 of Folkvangr price, I think it's really a bargain. On the other hand, Oor had as big soundstage as FV and the best details and clarity among these three. Of course it doesnt have the tubey sound, but it's still a warm amp.

TH909 actually sounded quite good on FV but still fell behind oor to my ear. I had to dial up the volume quite a lot on Echo and I didn't really like this combo much. It makes sense since Echo is designed for 80-600 ohm headphones. TH909 is only 23ohm.

For Diana Phi, it will be a straight pass on both FV and Echo. Nothing sounded right. It really needs a solid state amps like Oor.

I already have a collection of E88CC/7308 tubes for Echo. I will let FV burn-in a bit further with stock tubes and start rolling. I also plan to grab a yggy or gungnir or freya, so that I can feed FV and Echo from the same source at the same time. I will compare them side by side with the same driver tubes.
This is a really useful comparison as I also have Echo 2.
My impression on vocals on Echo mimics yours.
Keep it coming. Thank you.

Oct 15, 2022 at 2:12 AM Post #878 of 1,487
My impression of the Bifrost 2 OG compared to say a very neutral midrange DAC is that it’s a touch warm, fairly dynamic, and has an organic natural sound. It’s definitely on the lively side of neutral, but not nearly enough for me to consider it a problem. Quite the opposite.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2022 at 3:10 AM Post #879 of 1,487
Any tube recs for the Folkvangr? I grabbed some Good Lions - was a nice change, but not blown away.
I enjoy cheap 6n1p packs from ebay for like a few bucks each, postage added. Really no need to pay more than five bux for a freya noval set.

For 8 6n6p it's $40 if you hunt, I find 70s, 80s, 90s and 00s, even some 60s. Different micas, looks, etc, fun and cheap to play with.

3 mica 5670 Sylvania are my current fav in fv front side, with adapter 'natch.

There's a little tightening up, not much blowing away on the rolling so far.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2022 at 3:13 AM Post #880 of 1,487
My impression of the Bifrost 2 OG compared to say a very neutral midrange DAC is that it’s a touch warm, fairly dynamic, and has an organic natural sound. It’s definitely on the lively side of neutral, but not nearly enough for me to consider it a problem. Quite the opposite.
I feel like bf2 rocks pretty hard, more than lively but right idea.

Oct 15, 2022 at 3:18 AM Post #881 of 1,487
Fv and the wrong music can be a bit much, doesn't take a special amp.

Oct 15, 2022 at 12:51 PM Post #882 of 1,487
Hello guys - been following this thread for a while, so thought I would add my input.

I ordered the Folkvangr pretty early on with some of the first orders, and I have been loving the sound! This is the first tube amp I have owned, and I am running through my old Gungnir with Lokius to the Folkvangr. I have been listening through the Grado PS1000e as well as the LCD4. Both sound great, the Folkvangr slows down the analytical sound of the Grados, and sounds very spacious. The LCD4 have also sounded amazing as well, especially in the midrange with vocals. What I have immediately noticed is the Folkvangr adds some bass impact and in general, music I listen to has felt more dynamic. (One of my first listens was to Tool, and I was blown away by the texture of the drums). I usually use the Grados low-gain with impedance multiplier on/off depending on mood, and the LCD4 on high gain with impedance multiplier off.

At some point, I'd like to try new input tubes, and some ZMF headphones for variety / pairing.

Oct 15, 2022 at 1:28 PM Post #883 of 1,487
I have Modi MB with FV.
I find it a very enjoyable combination with ETA mini-closed or especially with HD6XX.

Oct 15, 2022 at 3:44 PM Post #884 of 1,487
I too have been enjoying the LCD-4 on the FV. The ZMF Verite open sounds excellent as well.

Oct 15, 2022 at 4:10 PM Post #885 of 1,487
I run a Yggdrasil OG with my Folkvangr and really enjoy it. I would never have called it “too lively “. But the Yggdrasil has been my main DAC for the last 4 years so maybe I’m just acclimated to it. Comparing the Folkvangr to my Ragnarok 2 connected to same DAC: the Folkvangr definitely seems more 3D. Smoother with bigger soundstage. The Ragnarok hits harder in the bass region and is maybe a tad faster. Of course tubes used will affect this comparison.

I use exactly this combo, along with a Naim DAC thrown in occasionally -- sounds absolutely great to me. Also owned the Rak but didn't use it very much once I bought the Woo and strongly prefer the Folks overall -- just seems more textured and alive and dynamic to me.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back