Schiit Folkvangr - Impressions Thread
Jul 17, 2022 at 2:34 PM Post #331 of 1,486
Can I anyone share a more in-depth opinion of the atrium matched with the Folkvangr?
Just ordered this bad boy (see picture below). Once it comes in I'll be trying it out on both MJ2 and Folkvangr.
Atrium_HotCupSummer_Shopify27_1024x1024@2x.jpg

Jul 18, 2022 at 3:38 PM Post #333 of 1,486
Curious if anyone with an FV also owns a LTA MZ2, and if so how the compare.
I can speak to MZ3 comparison if interested but not to the MZ2.

Jul 18, 2022 at 10:38 PM Post #337 of 1,486
Yes I'd love to get your take on it, even if it's the MZ3 not the 2. I can read up on the differences between the 2 and 3 to help triangulate the sonics.
Firstly, the MZ3 is a very crisp, fast and clean amp. The MZ3 balances the speed and control of a SS amp with the holographic soundstage and analog sound of tubes sans the thickness and bloom of many traditional tube amps. The MZ3 is not headphone picky (except for very hard to drive headphones like Susvara or HE6). In contrast the FV is more finicky and chameleon-like in that the tube character of the sound seems to change more noticeably based on the headphone pairing. The FV is at its best in my view with high impedance dynamic driver headphones (e.g. ZMFs). Just the right amount of tubeyness and 3D sound stage without getting too syrupy but not as crisp, fast, or clean as the MZ3. Some planars (particularly high sensitivity, medium low impedance, i.e. 32-50ish) also sound good w/ the FV but not as alive and organic as high ohm dynamics for me as the slower signature of the FV compared to SS or the MZ3 takes away a bit of the pluck and attack I like in planars. My chain (and in many cases headphones) emphasizes sound stage depth, imaging, and width probably in that order. The FV has very good sound stage but the sense of the room is still more palpable with the MZ3. The FV does make me smile which I interpret as a being relaxing and organic. I think the FV has a bit more low end quantity than the MZ3 but the MZ3 likely wins again in bass control.

Jul 18, 2022 at 11:34 PM Post #338 of 1,486
Firstly, the MZ3 is a very crisp, fast and clean amp. The MZ3 balances the speed and control of a SS amp with the holographic soundstage and analog sound of tubes sans the thickness and bloom of many traditional tube amps. The MZ3 is not headphone picky (except for very hard to drive headphones like Susvara or HE6). In contrast the FV is more finicky and chameleon-like in that the tube character of the sound seems to change more noticeably based on the headphone pairing. The FV is at its best in my view with high impedance dynamic driver headphones (e.g. ZMFs). Just the right amount of tubeyness and 3D sound stage without getting too syrupy but not as crisp, fast, or clean as the MZ3. Some planars (particularly high sensitivity, medium low impedance, i.e. 32-50ish) also sound good w/ the FV but not as alive and organic as high ohm dynamics for me as the slower signature of the FV compared to SS or the MZ3 takes away a bit of the pluck and attack I like in planars. My chain (and in many cases headphones) emphasizes sound stage depth, imaging, and width probably in that order. The FV has very good sound stage but the sense of the room is still more palpable with the MZ3. The FV does make me smile which I interpret as a being relaxing and organic. I think the FV has a bit more low end quantity than the MZ3 but the MZ3 likely wins again in bass control.
Excellent write up thank you! The way you described the MZ3 sounds like my impressions of the MZ2 so this is very helpful.

Jul 19, 2022 at 3:51 PM Post #339 of 1,486
Excellent write up thank you! The way you described the MZ3 sounds like my impressions of the MZ2 so this is very helpful.
Thank you. While the MZ3 may be the more accomplished amp in the technicalities, those 10 tubes on the FV really make me happy especially with rock and metal.

Jul 20, 2022 at 2:07 AM Post #340 of 1,486
So it’s been a little over a week since The Folkvangr arrived and my thoughts have had some time to percolate.

This amp can do meh to unbelievably good, and what you get depends on more than the headphone you plug into it. It’s somewhat sensitive to recording quality and it sounds best in a power output range that has a bottom and a top.

Starting at the source: This amp absolutely loves music recorded with good staging. It can be extremely holographic and quite enveloping. On the other side, if the imaging is wonky in the recording, the FV makes it painfully obvious.

Headphone efficiency: This amp likes to play in a fairly narrow power band. If you’re in that band, it’s the perfect balance of dynamic energy, detail and euphonic sound. If you like to listen at fairly low volume, a high efficiency headphone may be too loud where it sounds best. Conversely, a moderately efficient headphones get out of control if played too loud. With this amp I tend to choose my headphone based on desired listening volume.

You usually don’t need the impedance multiplier, but with low impedance headphones it works perfectly as long as you stay in the amp’s power band. My lowest impedance dynamic is my Clear at around 53 ohms. It’s a good match for the FV set at low gain and impedance multiplier off. My AFC Planars (13 ohms) sound as good as they ever have (at moderate volume- don’t expect a moderate efficiency planar to sound good above moderate volume).

Stay in the amp’s optimal power band and the bass is solid, textured, resonant, beautiful. Turn the volume too high and things get loose and eventually fall apart.

Barnstormer

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2022 at 7:48 AM Post #341 of 1,486
Starting at the source: This amp absolutely loves music recorded with good staging. It can be extremely holographic and quite enveloping. On the other side, if the imaging is wonky in the recording, the FV makes it painfully obvious.
I quite agree, the quality of the recording is important. A well-made recording with nice dynamics and staging absolutely shines while a flat recording sounds, well, flat. I don’t know whether the Folkvangr or Gungnir is more responsible for this than the other as both are new to me, but together they absolutely make the quality of the recording obvious.

This is a mixed bag of course, as some of my music that I had hoped would sound better with them is only even more revealed to be “meh” recording-wise but other music is so holographic and textured that I can’t do anything else but sit absolutely still and listen until the very last note fades out.

Headphone efficiency: This amp likes to play in a fairly narrow power band. If you’re in that band, it’s the perfect balance of dynamic energy, detail and euphonic sound. If you like to listen at fairly low volume, a high efficiency headphone may be too loud where it sounds best. Conversely, a moderately efficient headphones get out of control if played too loud. With this amp I tend to choose my headphone based on desired listening volume.

This effect probably explains why high gain sounds worse to me than low gain on the HD6XX, contrary to every other Schiit amp I own.

I haven’t tried any of my other headphones yet, only HD6XX, wanting to get to know the FV better first. It shall be interesting to try my other headphones as well.

Jul 20, 2022 at 9:15 AM Post #342 of 1,486
I quite agree, the quality of the recording is important. A well-made recording with nice dynamics and staging absolutely shines while a flat recording sounds, well, flat. I don’t know whether the Folkvangr or Gungnir is more responsible for this than the other as both are new to me, but together they absolutely make the quality of the recording obvious.

This is a mixed bag of course, as some of my music that I had hoped would sound better with them is only even more revealed to be “meh” recording-wise but other music is so holographic and textured that I can’t do anything else but sit absolutely still and listen until the very last note fades out.

I've felt much the same. Some "bad" recordings have made me all the sadder for how obvious they were through this amp. But when it's good, yeah, holographic is the word for sure. Tumbleweed Connection, for example, is incredible on the HD800S I'm currently borrowing and fear I may need to keep.

This effect probably explains why high gain sounds worse to me than low gain on the HD6XX, contrary to every other Schiit amp I own.

I haven’t tried any of my other headphones yet, only HD6XX, wanting to get to know the FV better first. It shall be interesting to try my other headphones as well.
I started out with my Grados, multiplier on, and wow they really worked well. I've been mostly using the HD800S since my time with them is theoretically limited, but my personal reference HD580 I've had since the 90s also sounds delightful.

I went for this because while the Magni Heresy sounds great and is good at its job, I wanted, I suppose, euphony.

I'm still working my way through the words for it, not being a full time experienced reviewer wordsmith, but I can say it's a lovely sounding (and looking!) machine.

The best I've gotten so far is that the Magni Heresy is like a great landscape photo and the Folkvangr is like a Hudson River School painting of that same spot. Still photo-realistic in style (vs a very soupy amp that I'd analogize to an Impressionistic painting) but with just a touch more beauty than the camera was able to portray. Like I said, still working on the words. Enjoying it in the mean time and like all the best audio componentry, it's giving me a great time re-listening to music I've heard before.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2022 at 6:03 PM Post #343 of 1,486
@Kapazza
Would you mind sharing a comparison of the MJ2 and Folk?

I have an MJ2 and almost ordered a Folk. I am torn on going Folk, Ampsandsound, or DNA, if I even stay with a tube amp.

Jul 20, 2022 at 6:19 PM Post #344 of 1,486
@Kapazza

I have an MJ2 and almost ordered a Folk. I am torn on going Folk, Ampsandsound, or DNA, if I even stay with a tube amp.
What are you looking for in an upgrade? Preferred sound profile (warm, neutral, fast, slow, etc) and budget? I can't speak on DNA but I've owned an MJ2, own a few Ampsandsound, a Tuba, LTA MZ2, and a few hybrids. They sometimes sound similar, but they usually have distinct differences as well. Some are warmer and more euphonic, some are closer to solid state neutral, etc. What types of headphones will you pair with the amp? And do you want an amp specialized for one/few particular headphones? Or a good jack of all trades to use on many different sets? For example if I was only using a ZMF Atrium, I'd just have an LTA MZ2 and call it quits. If it was an Auteur, I'd go Ampsandsound Kenzie. If it's many different types of headphones (dynamic and planar, with varying impedances), i'd go Ampsandsound Pendant/Leeloo or Mogwai. Finding good synergy can be a pain in the rump, the more info you can provide, the better.

Jul 20, 2022 at 6:53 PM Post #345 of 1,486
@Kapazza

Based on your username, you'd probably want a "faster" sounding tube amp. IMO triode amps are a hit or miss in that category except when the transformers are ridiculously over engineered. The higher you go up for example in an ampsandsound lineup, the less bloomy they sound and reflect more a really good sounding SS. Nautilus is probably their most linear/SS sounding amp followed by Red October then goes down from there. I'm only referring strictly tonality

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back