Schiit Folkvangr - Impressions Thread
Jul 12, 2022 at 9:23 AM Post #256 of 1,501
Arya Stealth. I'm torn between Mjolnir 2 > Arya vs. Folkvangr > HD800S. Each have their own strengths, but MJ2 can drive pretty much everything whereas FK will only pair nicely with certain cans.

This just tells me Schiit  really needs a Mjolnir 2 successor.

Jul 12, 2022 at 10:13 AM Post #257 of 1,501
Normal? Is that a thing now? I think it is just a fad, but what do I know, I have 15 pairs of over ear headphones.
Embarrassingly I have to edit my original post or at least update. I overlooked that I just bought a HE6se and LCD1. So total is 17 over ear headphones. And the two I just gave my wife and daughter don’t count.

Attachments

• E99B6A02-2759-4F1B-B33D-7BE7B0384EAF.jpeg
    E99B6A02-2759-4F1B-B33D-7BE7B0384EAF.jpeg
    82.2 KB · Views: 0
Jul 12, 2022 at 11:28 AM Post #258 of 1,501
Sounds good to me. The latest and greatest innovations from Schiit Audio learnings applied to a mass market headphone amp.

Jul 12, 2022 at 12:12 PM Post #259 of 1,501
I'm on the fence about this amp. I have only low impedance cans 25-64-ohm, don't think anyone on here has tried this with the cans I own. Closest cans being the Clear and Utopia(Both sounding good with the amp)

Specs -

Without Impedance Multiplier

Maximum Power, 32 ohms: 300mW RMS per channel at less than 10% THD
Maximum Power, 300 ohms: 1.2W RMS per channel at less than 10% THD
With Impedance Multiplier
Maximum Power, 32 ohms: 1.4W RMS per channel at less than 10% THD
Maximum Power, 300 ohms: 1.5W RMS per channel at less than 10% THD
Frequency Response: 20Hz-20KHz, +/-0.5dB (worst case, high gain, 32 ohms, impedance multiplier off)
THD: <0.5%, 20Hz-20KHz, at 1V RMS, low gain, 300 ohms
IMD: <0.4%, CCIF at 1V RMS, low gain, 300 ohms
SNR: >100dB, unweighted, referenced to 1V RMS, low gain; >90dB, unweighted, referenced to 1V RMS, high gain
Crosstalk: <-60dB, 20Hz-20KHz
Output Impedance: 18 ohms (high gain), 7 ohms (low gain) without impedance multiplier / 8 ohms (high gain), 3.5 ohms (low gain) with impedance multiplier
Input Impedance: 100K ohms
Gain: High- 6.5 (16.3dB); Low- 1.5 (3.5dB)
Topology: Output transformerless (OTL) and output capacitorless (OCL) Class-A triode headphone amplifier with White cathode follower (WCF) output; switchable gain (high/low); switchable 8x impedance multiplier (on/off)
Protection: Analog computer style oversight for high DC with turn-on delay and muting relay
Power Supply: 400VA transformer with secondaries for discrete regulated 200V and +/-100V supplies, plus secondaries for regulated +/-12V oversight and impedance multiplier supplies, plus 6.3VAC at 7.2A for tube heaters, more than 10,000uF filter capacitance on HV supplies
Power Consumption: 100W
Size: 16 x 8 x 2.875” (total height with tubes 4.5")
Weight: 15 lbs

https://www.schiit.com/products/folkvangr

Limited Production Run - 250 units

MSRP - $1800 ($1850 silver)

Jul 12, 2022 at 12:16 PM Post #260 of 1,501
Indeed! How about a Mjolnir III that uses a 12AU7 (or 12AT7) ‘natively’ per channel and has an external linear power supply? Please!

Jul 12, 2022 at 1:03 PM Post #261 of 1,501
It has arrived. Right out of the box, it already sounds very good to my ears. LCD-2 on high gain and impedance multiplier on sounded great for the 5 minutes I listened to it from cold. The Atrium also sounds great. I'll do some proper listening tonight so I can actually form some opinions as between the two headphones I didn't even listen 10 mintues. Now to let the tubes cook.

AdobePhotoshopExpress_2022_07_12_12:53:47.jpg

Jul 12, 2022 at 1:13 PM Post #262 of 1,501
I'm on the fence about this amp. I have only low impedance cans 25-64-ohm, don't think anyone on here has tried this with the cans I own. Closest cans being the Clear and Utopia(Both sounding good with the amp)
There is another site out there that differs from this thread’s opinion about what goes well and not well with this amp. I can’t list it, but Folkvangr isn’t a popular headphone amp name and Google will find the thread.

Jul 12, 2022 at 3:42 PM Post #263 of 1,501
There is another site out there that differs from this thread’s opinion about what goes well and not well with this amp. I can’t list it, but Folkvangr isn’t a popular headphone amp name and Google will find the thread.
That wouldn’t be ASR by any chance? :ksc75smile:

I have searched for Folkvangr reviews on Google and YouTube a few tmes recently but haven’t found a lot yet.

Jul 12, 2022 at 3:45 PM Post #264 of 1,501

I have searched for Folkvangr reviews on Google and YouTube a few tmes recently but haven’t found a lot yet.
No. I'll pm you.

Jul 12, 2022 at 3:55 PM Post #265 of 1,501
IMHO you are fine taking your time. Even if they all sell out, it’s sound signature is unique enough that there will be at least a few circulating in the used market from people who either don’t like it or don’t have a good headphone pairing.

Jul 12, 2022 at 4:00 PM Post #266 of 1,501
I know of which you speak. Audio perception is highly subjective and different people look for different sound elements. I think it will be a while yet before any sort of meaningful consensus develops, especially since no headphones out there were developed with an OTL/OCL tube amp in mind.

Also, it’s only been available for about 2 weeks

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2022 at 4:52 PM Post #268 of 1,501
I think there's more common ground in the opinions than not (even across sites).

Headphone common ground: HD800S, Grados, and ZMFs seem like great pairings by everyone. Focals work well, though there have been some exceptional reports. Random planars seem to work unexpectedly well, but many are not a good pairing. Very hard to drive headphones are not working well.

General common ground: very good slam, very spacious sounding with good layering, vocals and midrange are especially liked, and other things like speed/detail are good for tube amps.

Jul 12, 2022 at 5:08 PM Post #269 of 1,501
I think there's more common ground in the opinions than not (even across sites).

Headphone common ground: HD800S, Grados, and ZMFs seem like great pairings by everyone. Focals work well, though there have been some exceptional reports. Random planars seem to work unexpectedly well, but many are not a good pairing. Very hard to drive headphones are not working well.

General common ground: very good slam, very spacious sounding with good layering, vocals and midrange are especially liked, and other things like speed/detail are good for tube amps.
Was it just the Elears/Elex that have been reported as not matching well or other Focals as well?

Jul 12, 2022 at 5:36 PM Post #270 of 1,501

Absolutely not. :sob:

it’s a super website that’s best visited when audio questions are asked by friends.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back