Schiit Folkvangr - Impressions Thread
Jul 10, 2022 at 4:51 PM Post #226 of 1,487
has anyone tried the heddphone or abyss on this amp.
I've tried both HEDDphone and 1266 Phi TC, neither is a good pairing. Can't speak to any of the Dianas.

There's enough power for the HEDDphone with high-gain and multiplier on, but it's simply not a good pairing. The strengths of the HEDDphone (speed, detail, non-bass urgency/impact) are dampened by the FV. And the HEDDphone can't express the FV's strengths (staging and a sense of presence).

There's simply not enough power for the 1266 Phi TC and it sounds lifeless and small.

The headphones most elevated by the Folkvangr, in my testing and opinion, are the DCA Aeon 2 Noires. HD800S are also an excellent pairing, just not as elevated.

Jul 10, 2022 at 7:42 PM Post #228 of 1,487
The two input tubes do need to be matched in the Folkvangr, that much I know, but to what degree? What would happen if they were not very well matched or even mis-matched?
Just your basic left/right channel imbalance (probably?) or total self-immolation (I’d guess not, but..)?

Jul 10, 2022 at 9:05 PM Post #230 of 1,487
Some preamp action tonight
20220710_210451.jpg

Jul 11, 2022 at 9:57 AM Post #234 of 1,487
Normal? Is that a thing now? I think it is just a fad, but what do I know, I have 15 pairs of over ear headphones.

Jul 11, 2022 at 11:02 AM Post #235 of 1,487
Normal? Is that a thing now? I think it is just a fad, but what do I know, I have 15 pairs of over ear headphones.
☑️😄

Jul 11, 2022 at 11:10 AM Post #236 of 1,487
In my best and most sonorous Darth Vader voice: "Impressive!" And my wife and daughter consider my 6 utterly excessive. May I use you as an example that it could be worse? :dt880smile:

Jul 11, 2022 at 11:13 AM Post #237 of 1,487
It's been more than a week since the Folkvangr was first offered. I wonder how many of the 248 that Schiit had available have been sold?

Jul 11, 2022 at 11:27 AM Post #238 of 1,487
Folkvangr added impressions....5 days on:

• Most listening with a Soekris 2541 (plays it a bit more straight than my Yggdrasil OG or Burl B2)
  • Most listening with stock tubes (I have more exotic swaps for the 6N1P's.....but think the Russian 1P's and 6P's sound pretty decent in general and getting grounded on 'stock' sound).
  • Don't care for/don't use the solid-state impedance soul-sucker multiplier

I hear this as a pretty detailed amp with strong technicalities (imaging/staging).

Most "wildcard" amp I can recall I've personally spent meaningful time with. High degree of variability between headphones, DAC's, and even source files. For streaming I typically bounce between Amazon HD and Qobuz....I typically hear Q a bit louder/slightly more dyanimc.....out the Folkvangr way noticeable between the two going through the same DAC on the same setting.

ZMF Atrium a fantastic pairing, typically getting to listening levels around noon on the dial w/high-gain. HD800S pairs very well....warms up the typical signature and you get a very cohesive presentation (in a headphone where that can be a typical complaint) while keeping the majority of it's technical/staging strengths. I like the HD800S the very best with a few amps that really lean into it's nebulous sparkle stregnths.....but this is still a really solid pairing. What doesn't work with the Atrium typically works with the HD800S for me, and usually plenty of head-room outside of some softer source files.

I hear this amp as generally neutral to a touch wet. It is mid-forward to me.....mids are the thing with this amp. Bass is solid in quantity/texture given realities of a pure tube amps....and treble articulates and extends well without spiking or being the star of the show. I find this a pretty speedy amp relative to the tube world. I get some decent holographic/tubes magics in the mids....but I would not call this overall bloomy/fat ala' a typical 'vintage' sound.

I've enjoyed this as a multi-tasker genre-wise....but have found it shows it's best moves with metal/rock and jazz. Vocals typically very nice as well.

The speed+detail/stage+slam makes for a real nice presentation for rock/metal.....but can overwhelm the ear on certain tracks or long listening sessions. Going to phones like the HD800S can tame that back down vs. the Atriums.....but at times (mix/master dependent) the mids can jump way ahead of the other sonic elements and you get a bit of an unbalanced presentation. So far much more "works" than doesn't.....and the prior comments are true of many "slammy/dynamic" dacs or amps. Mix to mix, Folkvangr can sound out-out fantastic to really solid to slammy-stew.

Aesthetic as hell

Schiit has earned a reputation as the value-price, best-in-class "audio everyman" company. In regards to Folkvangr, someone may think "wow, this must be Schiit's take on a very high-end all-audience tube amp". I'd counter this is more like a "Schitt Special Reserve" release. I'm very pleased to have picked it up, as it happens to excel with music I listen to most and works with my existing DD-heavy headphone line-up. I think it performs relative to its price when fed in the right chain. This would NOT be anywhere close to my recommendation for someone just jumping into the tube-amp world or looking for a generalist next-step up. I would take Jason S's comments to heart...Schiit released something they though sounded aces but it is not an all-audience product ala' much of the rest of their line-up. If you know amps/tubes well...and are looking for the evolution of a Valhalla 2 X Mjolnir 2 sound.......this really suits the bill. For newbies.....going in at $2K with something that takes 10 tubes, not particular easy roll options, highly variable to chain, funky/low power profile.....their are better 'learning the ropes' options. This is my personal opinion of course and not meant to stir the pot.....but if you main planars I can't see this being a good choice unless you just have money to burn.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2022 at 11:47 AM Post #239 of 1,487
In my best and most sonorous Darth Vader voice: "Impressive!" And my wife and daughter consider my 6 utterly excessive. May I use you as an example that it could be worse? :dt880smile:
You can use me as an example that it IS worse…🤣🤣🤣:o2smile::o2smile::o2smile:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back