Schiit Folkvangr - Impressions Thread
Jul 7, 2022 at 9:45 AM Post #181 of 1,487
Jul 7, 2022 at 10:57 AM Post #183 of 1,487
Listened to the Folkvangr with my Grado GS3000e last night. Amazing. The treble edge that Grado is known for was gone in a good way. No apparent loss of high end extension, just the brittleness that could sometimes appear is gone.
The albums used: Black Acid Soul by Lady Blackbird, Sessions from the 17th ward by Amber Rubarth.
Bass: well controlled with good extension. I was a little worried about it being woolly as some had mentioned, not with the Grado.
Mids: voices were simply spectacular. My Ragnarok 2 is very good in a SS way, I have always been satisfied. Now I’m probably ruined, the Folkvangr is much smoother and natural.
Treble: no edginess at all. Perhaps some air is lost but hard to tell. My hearing trails off around 15k. This is the perfect combo for me. Very good detail but no emphasis. I am somewhat treble sensitive.
Detail and speed: at first I wondered if the last little bit of detail was being masked, but it is still there. Just integrated with the music and not highlighted. Example: Amber Rubarth is recorded live with real instruments and people. You can hear the musicians shift in their seats, move the instruments and take breaths. I know these tracks well and all the details are still there. They just feel so organic now. Very impressive.
I will post thoughts on the LCD4 pairing later. Hint: different strengths and weaknesses.

Jul 7, 2022 at 12:20 PM Post #184 of 1,487
Jul 7, 2022 at 12:22 PM Post #185 of 1,487
Listened to the Folkvangr with my Grado GS3000e last night. Amazing. The treble edge that Grado is known for was gone in a good way. No apparent loss of high end extension, just the brittleness that could sometimes appear is gone.
The albums used: Black Acid Soul by Lady Blackbird, Sessions from the 17th ward by Amber Rubarth.
Bass: well controlled with good extension. I was a little worried about it being woolly as some had mentioned, not with the Grado.
Mids: voices were simply spectacular. My Ragnarok 2 is very good in a SS way, I have always been satisfied. Now I’m probably ruined, the Folkvangr is much smoother and natural.
Treble: no edginess at all. Perhaps some air is lost but hard to tell. My hearing trails off around 15k. This is the perfect combo for me. Very good detail but no emphasis. I am somewhat treble sensitive.
Detail and speed: at first I wondered if the last little bit of detail was being masked, but it is still there. Just integrated with the music and not highlighted. Example: Amber Rubarth is recorded live with real instruments and people. You can hear the musicians shift in their seats, move the instruments and take breaths. I know these tracks well and all the details are still there. They just feel so organic now. Very impressive.
I will post thoughts on the LCD4 pairing later. Hint: different strengths and weaknesses.
I never had a stridency problem with GS3000e with tubes or with Class A solid state 🤷🏻‍♂️

Jul 7, 2022 at 12:29 PM Post #186 of 1,487
It wasn’t a major problem but as I mentioned I’m sensitive to treble. So it may just be my ears. But any hint of it was gone with the Folkvangr.

Jul 7, 2022 at 2:10 PM Post #187 of 1,487
Sweet spot definitely seems to be 300 ohm DDs. Also good fun with lower impedance (~32 ohm) DDs. Trying a Kennerton Rögnir planar (42 ohm, 100 db) now and the tubeyness works with 60s/70s guitar tracks. Not sure I’d run a tight, heavily layered 50s jazz track to planars with this amp over a SS or my LTA MZ3 however. I take it back - 50s/60s Jazz sounds pretty darn good too upon longer listening but I think I still prefer the speed of the MZ3 or SS amps with planars.
Rad-0s also sound very nice. Perhaps a bit more presence with impedance multiplier on but still in low gain (haven’t needed to use high except w/ 300 ohm ZMFs). So far FV seems to be working with all my headphones but again most / all are easy to drive sensitivity-wise regardless of rated impedance.

Jul 7, 2022 at 10:57 PM Post #190 of 1,487
IF FedEx makes their originally scheduled delivery date, which is what their tracking page says is going to happen, my FV will arrive tomorrow. Then the fun begins!
You can get started early by deciding on your play list.😄

Jul 8, 2022 at 2:10 AM Post #191 of 1,487
IF FedEx makes their originally scheduled delivery date, which is what their tracking page says is going to happen, my FV will arrive tomorrow. Then the fun begins!
Mine shows as having reached my city, so hopefully me too.

Jul 8, 2022 at 1:08 PM Post #192 of 1,487
Well, FedEx says it's out for delivery. Again. At least this time it started at one of the "local" depots in New England. Unlike before where it was in the middle of Ohio someplace. So there may just be a chance it shows up today. Nothing yet as of 1 pm.

Jul 8, 2022 at 2:47 PM Post #193 of 1,487
Warming up :)
20220708_144522.jpg
20220708_144533.jpg

Jul 8, 2022 at 3:43 PM Post #194 of 1,487
Well, FedEx says it's out for delivery. Again. At least this time it started at one of the "local" depots in New England. Unlike before where it was in the middle of Ohio someplace. So there may just be a chance it shows up today. Nothing yet as of 1 pm.
Gosh this is painful to watch!!
I used to live up in Hinesburg, Milton, Starksboro and Burlington...
Wierd UPS up there!

Alex

Users who are viewing this thread

Back