Schiit Folkvangr - Impressions Thread
Jun 30, 2022 at 9:13 AM Post #46 of 1,487
Most modern amps (solid state) have output impedance's close to "0" ohms or so...so with such an amp no real issues.
Some amps are touted as "less than 1 ohm" still not a real issue.
So if your amp output impedance is say 10 ohms then your cans should be 80 ohms or so for the "best" match...
This is mostly to control the low freqs and prevent flabby, bloated or uncontrolled bass response.
The cans will still work, but the match and volume dependent on the power avail with a low impedance load or can can be Affected.

Vahalla 2 is a good example...I was very surprised at how well it worked with 32 ohm cans....better with the Beyers and Senns and Audio technicas all over 250 ohms +..

Like you folks said, the fun is in the trying and Jason with the impedance multiplier thought of this as well!!

Super!
Alex

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2022 at 12:31 PM Post #47 of 1,487
One of the intriguing things about this amplifier is the fact that it is a direct drive amplifier. Tube -> headphones, with NO transformer (OTL) and NO capacitor (OCL) between the output stage and the headphones. Every other tube amplifier that I have ever listened to has had one of those components between the output tubes and the transducers. Jason's drive to hear *just the tube sound* means we'll get to do the same.

Headphone choice is always key, more so with tube amps. I've had great success with planar 'phones paired with tube amps, but it's a fussy arrangement that requires planars with impedances above 50 ohms that are also reasonably sensitive. The good thing about planar transducers is that they have a flat impedance vs frequency "curve" (is it still a curve when it's a straight line?) which plays really well with OTL tube headphone amps. I have had great results with HE400s on a Valhalla 2 and Incubus. I'm enjoying stellar sound out of a pair of LCD3 with my Incubus, sufficient to discern subtle differences between different tube combinations allowing me to zero in on an ideal sound for my ears.

Won't really know how this all "plays out" until the amplifier is here and set up. The anticipation is part of the fun.
Do you think FV would work well with Opportunities 2 Planars?

Jun 30, 2022 at 12:57 PM Post #49 of 1,487
Folkvangr being 1) and all-tube amp and 2) also class A - meaning running full throttle from the get-go, is there any real need to worry about warm up time?

I mean the only thing that should really need to warm up would be the tubes and they get up to temp pretty quick, no?

Jun 30, 2022 at 2:58 PM Post #50 of 1,487
Folkvangr being 1) and all-tube amp and 2) also class A - meaning running full throttle from the get-go, is there any real need to worry about warm up time?

I mean the only thing that should really need to warm up would be the tubes and they get up to temp pretty quick, no?
In my experience some tubes take 5 minutes to settle down after power up. That said, my Woo is perfectly listenable in about 30s as long as you don’t mind a little bit of noise.

Jun 30, 2022 at 3:18 PM Post #51 of 1,487
Do you think FV would work well with Opportunities 2 Planars?
What’s the impedance and efficiency? Not that anyone is going to be able to tell you with anything like certainty yet, but if it’s low impedance and low efficiency, the amp may struggle. I’d wait a week for istening impressions to roll in. I think you’ll get a pretty good idea.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2022 at 5:21 PM Post #54 of 1,487
Specs are on the Schiit site.
Umm, I was talking about the Opportunities 2 Planars. I guess I should have made that clear

Jul 1, 2022 at 2:14 AM Post #57 of 1,487
What’s the impedance and efficiency? Not that anyone is going to be able to tell you with anything like certainty yet, but if it’s low impedance and low efficiency, the amp may struggle. I’d wait a week for istening impressions to roll in. I think you’ll get a pretty good idea.
32 Ohm, 102db.

And they are Oppo 2s, thanks Ducking Autocorrect.

Jul 1, 2022 at 2:54 AM Post #58 of 1,487
32 Ohm, 102db.

That’s pretty darn efficient and I don’t think the impedance is too low for the FV. My guess is it will sound great.

I’d start with gain set to low and the impedance doohickey engaged. Thats just a guess though. YMMV

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2022 at 8:56 AM Post #59 of 1,487
Tracking says it will be here on Wednesday, two days earlier than originally promised! YAY!
Mine just updated to Tuesday. I hope they aren’t just teasing! 😉

Jul 1, 2022 at 8:58 AM Post #60 of 1,487
32 Ohm, 102db.

That’s pretty darn efficient and I don’t think the impedance is too low for the FV. My guess is it will sound great.

I’d start with gain set to low and the impedance doohickey engaged. Thats just a guess though. YMMV
Jason mentioned using Grado and they are 32 ohm 100db. Should be good to go. I am going to try my Grado and DCA Stealth (Stealth is 22 ohms).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back