Schiit Folkvangr - Impressions Thread
Mar 26, 2024 at 10:29 PM Post #1,456 of 1,484
I just installed some new tubes (well, new to me old tubes that came with the amp from the previous seller) and I noticed something on on power on.

I’m running a pair or NOS GE JAN 5670s with adapters for preamp (I bought those) and some Philips Heerlen taller tubes with different adapters in the other 8 slots.

On power on some of the Philips tubes flare up with orange color briefly like this:

IMG_9425.jpeg

That lasts less than a second, and then they go to their normal glow where only the tips of the rods are glowing

IMG_9426.jpeg

Is this something I need to worry about or is it normal some tubes will do that?
Normal ... some tubes do that ☑️

Mar 26, 2024 at 10:48 PM Post #1,457 of 1,484
Totally normal.

Mar 26, 2024 at 10:48 PM Post #1,458 of 1,484
Normal ... some tubes do that ☑️
Thank you.

I’ve also noticed the new tubes run a lot cooler than the stock tubes. With the stock tubes I could hold my hand over the amp and feel the heat radiating out, or touch the casing over the transformer and it would feel warm.

With these tubes there’s virtually no heat radiating and the case over the transformer is cool.

Mar 27, 2024 at 8:59 PM Post #1,459 of 1,484
Thank you.

I’ve also noticed the new tubes run a lot cooler than the stock tubes. With the stock tubes I could hold my hand over the amp and feel the heat radiating out, or touch the casing over the transformer and it would feel warm.

With these tubes there’s virtually no heat radiating and the case over the transformer is cool.
Is it the combo of the Philips and the GE you like? Or are each good on their own?

Mar 27, 2024 at 9:04 PM Post #1,460 of 1,484
Is it the combo of the Philips and the GE you like? Or are each good on their own?
I tried the GE 5670s as preamp tubes for the stock 6N6P power tubes first, and I thought they did a good job of adding a little more bass and slam. Adding the Philips power tubes has really made the amp much more neutral, or at least much less warm/dark. That’s a big plus with the Verite Closed, maybe a step back for the Auteur.

I’m halfway tempted to buy another 8 GE 5670s and see how it sounds just running those in all slots. They’re pretty affordable at the moment.

Mar 28, 2024 at 12:02 AM Post #1,461 of 1,484
I had one of these, it's pretty good.

Mar 28, 2024 at 11:07 AM Post #1,462 of 1,484
I just installed some new tubes (well, new to me old tubes that came with the amp from the previous seller) and I noticed something on on power on.

I’m running a pair or NOS GE JAN 5670s with adapters for preamp (I bought those) and some Philips Heerlen taller tubes with different adapters in the other 8 slots.

On power on some of the Philips tubes flare up with orange color briefly like this:

IMG_9425.jpeg

That lasts less than a second, and then they go to their normal glow where only the tips of the rods are glowing

IMG_9426.jpeg

Is this something I need to worry about or is it normal some tubes will do that?
what adapters are you using? I have a ton of 6ak5 tubes i could try.

Mar 28, 2024 at 6:10 PM Post #1,464 of 1,484
what adapters are you using? I have a ton of 6ak5 tubes i could try.
The GE JAN 5670s are on 5670/6N3 -> 6922 adapters I got from Tube Depot.

The Philips tubes are on 12Axx -> ECC88 adapters that came with the tubes and the amp from the previous owner. The Philips tubes are 7062s.

Mar 28, 2024 at 9:35 PM Post #1,465 of 1,484
The GE JAN 5670s are on 5670/6N3 -> 6922 adapters I got from Tube Depot.

The Philips tubes are on 12Axx -> ECC88 adapters that came with the tubes and the amp from the previous owner. The Philips tubes are 7062s.
Oh, my mistake, I misconstrued 5670 for 5654.

Apr 7, 2024 at 8:14 PM Post #1,466 of 1,484
I switched out my SMSL SU-9 for a Schiit Yggdrasil OG A2 feeding the Folkvangr and it’s a major improvement, there’s some insane synergy there, just ridiculously wide soundstage and precise imaging, and I’m hearing all sorts of bits of songs I hadn’t before.

I also got my Focal Elexes back (well really Elears with Elex pads, but I believe it was determined the only difference between the two was the pads to begin with) (thanks @LuthierJeff for the prompt and affordable repair) and they have great Synergy with the FV.

I wasn’t sure if they would since they’re more of a mid-impedance rather than high-impedance can, but I’m really digging the pairing tonight.

Apr 14, 2024 at 2:40 AM Post #1,467 of 1,484
I tried the GE 5670s as preamp tubes for the stock 6N6P power tubes first, and I thought they did a good job of adding a little more bass and slam. Adding the Philips power tubes has really made the amp much more neutral, or at least much less warm/dark. That’s a big plus with the Verite Closed, maybe a step back for the Auteur.

I’m halfway tempted to buy another 8 GE 5670s and see how it sounds just running those in all slots. They’re pretty affordable at the moment.
Interesting combination. I’m about due for retubing and this seems like something I’d enjoy if the imaging, detail and dynamics are there.

Apr 14, 2024 at 2:54 AM Post #1,468 of 1,484
I switched out my SMSL SU-9 for a Schiit Yggdrasil OG A2 feeding the Folkvangr and it’s a major improvement, there’s some insane synergy there, just ridiculously wide soundstage and precise imaging, and I’m hearing all sorts of bits of songs I hadn’t before.

I also got my Focal Elexes back (well really Elears with Elex pads, but I believe it was determined the only difference between the two was the pads to begin with) (thanks @LuthierJeff for the prompt and affordable repair) and they have great Synergy with the FV.

I wasn’t sure if they would since they’re more of a mid-impedance rather than high-impedance can, but I’m really digging the pairing tonight.
I think your post has pushed me over the edge. I’ve been really happy with my BF2, but now I’ve started thinking a Yggy may be a cost effective way to improve my system.

Admittedly, I’m talking “cost effective” in the realm of high end audio.

Apr 14, 2024 at 7:45 AM Post #1,469 of 1,484
I think your post has pushed me over the edge. I’ve been really happy with my BF2, but now I’ve started thinking a Yggy may be a cost effective way to improve my system.

Admittedly, I’m talking “cost effective” in the realm of high end audio.

I stopped thinking about DAC upgrades once I got the Yggy. Amplification, transducers, and tubes change. No desire or thoughts of changing Yggy. I find the OG pairs extremely well with the FV.

Apr 14, 2024 at 9:25 AM Post #1,470 of 1,484
Interesting combination. I’m about due for retubing and this seems like something I’d enjoy if the imaging, detail and dynamics are there.
They’re certainly worth trying, and the GE JAN 5670s plus adapters are cheap online.

I ended up ordering a full 10 Western Electric WE396A NOS tubes because I found a good deal and I’ve heard so much about them. I’ve heard those are more tube-y and romantic sounding, so they’ll be a contrast to my current tubes, but variety is the spice of life and all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back