Schiit Documentation
Feb 1, 2016 at 7:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

sceleratus

Previously known as Iamnothim
Apologies in advance for another Schiit thread about a beef I have.  I really do enjoy their products.

As a long time customer, the whole “aloof / irreverent schtick” has worn thin with me.  This includes getting a sorry excuse for a manual after purchasing  some pricey products.  I spent $75 for a software player and got a 42 page illustrated manual.  I spent $1,200 on a DAC and I get 2 pages explaining the obvious.

Fact, one must have both a DAC and Software to play music.  Since Schiit touts themselves as making DACs with “innovative bitperfect management systems”,  I think it likely that they test their products with various software players and listen to music, rather than just sine waves.  If so, I (me / myself) expects Schiit to share their experience configuring the playback software, at least in a general way.

And yes, this means actually “Writing  a White Paper” on the topic and sharing the configurations with your customers.  After all aren't you the Godfather of the DAC?

Thanks for reading.

Feb 1, 2016 at 10:08 PM Post #2 of 5
I respectfully disagree. Their manual describes what is needed to connect and operate their products. It is not their responsibility to document the recommended settings for music players - the developers of the music players should do that.

Feb 1, 2016 at 10:51 PM Post #3 of 5
I respectfully disagree. Their manual describes what is needed to connect and operate their products. It is not their responsibility to document the recommended settings for music players - the developers of the music players should do that.

True.  They provide the absolute minimum information necessary to make the connections and they not required  to do anything more.

But I would think they would benefit if they did more.  If Schiit does test their gear with various pieces of software what's the harm in sharing some general knowledge via a White Paper?   As a market leader they are in a position to write an authoritative  "Position Paper" that will help educate and optimize their customer's experience. 

Feb 2, 2016 at 1:13 PM Post #4 of 5
i think the problem is that the number of software solutions is so large that it would be impossible to be meaningful or current.  each of these solutions has different capabilities with different settings in different places -- think about the differences between itunes, jriver, hqplayer, roon, foobar, mediamonkey, pure music, audirvana, amarra, etc.  that would be a massive amount of work to be current, accurate, and informed on each of these.  of course, then there's the linux solutions and the streamers/media players.

are you saying you'd like schiit to say something like "use bnc if possible, if not, use coax. only use usb if spdif is not available. avoid tolink at all costs.  don't upsample."  the problem is that everyone will then take that and say "schiit's usb must not be any good."  look at the trash talk that's happened by them saying that gumby has an effective resolution of 19 bits -- suddenly that's interpreted that their products can't play 24 bit files properly.

maybe i'm missing the point.  what would actually be in a white paper?

Feb 2, 2016 at 9:45 PM Post #5 of 5
Kinda.
But then, I probably changed my thinking from the first post.  It all started with a problem with my newly upgraded Gungnir.  (Other thread and thanks for your post)

STOP: I want to emphasize I love Schiit products and I like the folks at Schiit.  Both are brilliant.

I decided to dig into the software to see if I could change a setting and fix something….. or get a better sound from my fancy MBG.  I have a dedicated MacMini for music and I use Audirana. I’ve used Amarra for several years, and tried several others, but settled on Audirvana and their iPhone app +Remote (It work 75% of the time)  I hope they update that app because it solves a lot of logistic problems for me.  Much better than using “Remote Desktop”

With past and current software I’d do as little configuration as possible and simply stop when it works.  For most of them (Audirvana) this was an easy process with few changes to the default settings.  If there was anything I had to mung with it was OS/X Midi application.  Especially with Amara.  Audirvana has a setting that takes it out of the picture altogether.

Back to the story…  I’m frustrated having a problem and decide to dig into Audirvana/Preferences/Audio System.   There’s a lot of stuff there.  I read the manual, it’s pretty good, but it doesn’t give you an understanding of what the settings do and their interaction with the DAC.  I download the Gungnir manual.  It does not contain the word Multibit.  I go to the Forum, start a thread and vent.

Here’s an example  I’m sure you’ve read Schiit’s Mutibit description on their web page.  “world’s only closed-form multibit DAC, delivering 21 bits of resolution”.  Well…. there’s nothing in the software configuration with 21 bits.  Multiple selections work fine.  But I’d like some understanding.  If 21 bits is the true output/product/whatever ….how do I maximize the performance?   Schiit must test with a player. Right?

I totally get that it’s not practical for Schiit to test all the different players, but this product isn’t a toaster.   Yes, it’s cabled almost as easy as a toaster but there is no denying that software place a big part in the sound.

Perhaps make it generic, don’t name names, explaining the interaction between the software and DAC would go a long way.  Schiit publishing a White Paper would be authoritative as opposed to a well meaning thread from a member on a forum.  Dear Schiit, Educate your customers…..  It’s glue.
I hope that explains my position.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back